tunghaichuan
September 13th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Here is a tutorial for building the Brown Note D'Lite kit:

http://thenormster.com/DumbleLite/BuildersGuide/D-Lite%20Assembly%20Guide.htm

schematics & layouts:

http://www.brownnote.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=329

More info on the amp:

http://www.brownnote.net/dlite22.html

The D'Lite is based on the legendary amps made by Dumble. I believe Dumble's designs evolved from black face Fender amp designs. Dumble's amps have much more gain on tap though. Users of Dumble amps include David Lindley, Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, and SRV. I believe Eric Johnson used Dumble amps too.

Anyway, it looks like a fairly easy build, except that it is a high gain circuit which can pose problems.

tung

tot_Ou_tard
September 13th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Very very cool indeed.

sumitomo
September 13th, 2008, 04:38 PM
No wonder the amp is called a D lite cause it sounds,well it sounds vanillia if ya know what I mean.I could hear Robben Ford all over those clips.Sumi:D

tot_Ou_tard
September 13th, 2008, 04:51 PM
No wonder the amp is called a D lite cause it sounds,well it sounds vanillia if ya know what I mean.I could hear Robben Ford all over those clips.Sumi:D
That is the Dumble sound.

Some find it boring, some are driven to their graves chasing it.

just strum
September 13th, 2008, 05:11 PM
This is as bad as the medications they advertise on TV that list the side effects and you end up deciding to live with what ever ails you:

"Tube amplifiers use POTENTIALLY FATAL HIGH VOLTAGE AND CURRENT. If you are not familiar with high voltage circuits, PLEASE DO NOT RISK YOUR LIFE BY ATTEMPTING THIS BUILD. If you are in any doubt as to your ability to complete this kit, please contact a qualified technician."

Also read: "Strum, don't even think about it"

tunghaichuan
September 13th, 2008, 07:13 PM
That is a CYA disclaimer in case some genius gets a nasty shock and decides to blame it on the kit seller and sue them.

While tube amps are potentially lethal, I've never heard of anyone in the 10 years I've been doing it getting electrocuted. It's mostly common sense and few rules to live by. Half of safety is knowing what not to touch, and learning to keep both hands out of the chassis so if you do get a shock, it doesn't travel across your heart and stop it.

tung

This is as bad as the medications they advertise on TV that list the side effects and you end up deciding to live with what ever ails you:

"Tube amplifiers use POTENTIALLY FATAL HIGH VOLTAGE AND CURRENT. If you are not familiar with high voltage circuits, PLEASE DO NOT RISK YOUR LIFE BY ATTEMPTING THIS BUILD. If you are in any doubt as to your ability to complete this kit, please contact a qualified technician."

Also read: "Strum, don't even think about it"

luvmyshiner
September 15th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Tung, please allow me to help out with an "official" legal disclaimer that should work for any build:

"WARNING: Unplug this amp and allow it to sit for at least . . . three hours before touching anything inside. IF YOU'RE TOO STUPID TO FOLLOW THIS SIMPLE RULE, then please do us the favor of dieing and removing yourself from the gene pool.:D "

Hmmm, if you think it needs tweaking I'm open to suggestions.:AOK:

tunghaichuan
September 15th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Tung, please allow me to help out with an "official" legal disclaimer that should work for any build:

"WARNING: Unplug this amp and allow it to sit for at least . . . three hours before touching anything inside. IF YOU'RE TOO STUPID TO FOLLOW THIS SIMPLE RULE, then please do us the favor of dieing and removing yourself from the gene pool.:D "

Hmmm, if you think it needs tweaking I'm open to suggestions.:AOK:

LOL, I love it.

Alas, it is impossible to idiot proof something against a sufficiently determined idiot.

tung

luvmyshiner
September 15th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Alas, it is impossible to idiot proof something against a sufficiently determined idiot.

tung

My friend, wiser words were never spoken. Believe me, I've represented most of them at one point or another.:cry: