PDA

View Full Version : Who can sing?

Robert
June 2nd, 2006, 02:58 PM
I realize we don't have a forum for general music stuff like this thread. Should I create one?

Anyway, my question is, which Fretters can sing decent? I can not sing very well (as you've heard sometimes from my videoclips...), but I try sometimes. I would really like to get better at it. Any tips appreciated.

blogan
June 2nd, 2006, 04:57 PM
Better yet, who can sing while playing?

My daughter can carry on a conversation while playing the piano. I can't talk at all while playing the piano. Sing? Yeah, somewhat, unless it's a challenging part and then the singing just sorta drops out.

I'm trying to learn to sing while playing the guitar. Same problem. I guess my brain has limited processing power. Time to upgrade.

Oh, you asked about singing decent? Let's just say my daughters comment that "everyone" seems to think they can sing when they get a guitar. I try not to take it personally.

(Not that I sing many indecent lyrics...)

But, yeah, I think a forum on singing would be interesting. I'd be more a reader, though, than a contributor.

Spudman
June 2nd, 2006, 06:05 PM
I've been a front man for many of my bands. Singing and playing is tough to do at the same time. But it's kind of like guitar playing. When you have done it enough repeatedly you can put it on "auto pilot" and not really have to think too much about what you are doing. Repetition.

There always used to be a struggle for me to do both at the same time until I started phrasing vocals my own way instead of trying to be exact like the artist I was copying. I think everyone has their own sense of timing and you can't, or shouldn't fight it. Work WITH it. Develop your own phrasing.

As far as timber and general note selection: sing along with songs as much as possible. On the way to work in the car, in the bathroom, when you are alone and can just let it go. The more you do it the better you get. You'll see. We all are critical enough of ourselves to force us to continually make improvements. So don't worry if you think you suck, you will improve over time. If you don't like it - change it.
Importantly, sing harmonies. It will teach you to phrase along with the song but will slightly remove you from the structure of the melody and free you up to be more yourself.
Think about Bob Dylan and Neil Young. Not great sounding voices but they do it THEIR WAY and it works. (no offense intended)

Be yourself. Grab the guitar - have a few chords in mind - envision yourself as "the star' and just pretend you are amazing. Sing like the song is already written by you and you are doing it perfectly. HAVE THE VISION! You can only get to where you want to be if you can see it. Remember there is little difference fundamentally between people. I always figure "if they can do it then so can I." I just may have to work at it more, but at least I'm going that direction and that is usually a positive thing.

jpfeifer
June 2nd, 2006, 09:39 PM
I have to admit, I don't like my own voice very much. But, I force myself to sing a few songs in the band that I play in. The main purpose of this is to give our lead singer some time to take a vocal break. I love singing a song when it works well for my voice. When I find the right song in the right range for me, it's really a kick to sing.

I love singing harmonies because it's really challenging for your ear to stay on pitch when other parts are moving around.

I wish that I had a better voice. But I often think that good vocals are something that people are born with, to some degree. The good singers that I've known just had a natural sound that just seemed to get better over time.

Spudman, those are great tips that you passed along.

-- Jim

Katastrophe
June 2nd, 2006, 10:02 PM
I was told that I sing best as a tenor... ten or twelve miles away! I don't mind singing backing vocals, and I have taken a few vocal lessons, with favorable comments from the teacher, but I don't think my voice will be featured on American Idol anytime soon...;)

In fact, I tried warbling a bit at band practice tonight. My bandmates couldn't tell me to stop from all of the laughter.:(

blogan
June 2nd, 2006, 10:35 PM
Spudman, awesome ideas. Posts like that are why I like this place. Thanks!

Robert
June 3rd, 2006, 08:09 AM
Yes, great post Sir Spud. Confidence is probably the biggest hurdle for most people, including me, when it comes to singing.

Spudman
June 3rd, 2006, 09:03 AM
Do you remember the Sesame Street show? They had a song that they played all the time;

Sing, sing a song
Make it simple
To last your whole life long
Don't worry if it's not good enough
For anyone else to hear
Just sing, sing a song

Screw the critics I say. Just sing! It's all about expression not competition or comparisons. Besides, did the Beatles get to where they got by singing like someone else? No. They were unique. No matter what you do you will always be unique. Just let it happen, and like Nike, "just do it."
Sure it's OK to be critical of yourself. That's what makes you want to get better. Just never ever let that criticism or anyone else stop you from singing.

t_ross33
June 6th, 2006, 08:38 AM
I can sing while playing guitar, but I could never do it when I was playing bass. Weird? I switch over to bass on a few songs with my current band and try to sing some backup and still have a heck of a time keeping it all together and in time.

I've been told I sing not TOO bad, but there are definate styles that suit my voice and range (country, country rock, blues). Trying to rock out more and also to work on harmonies (another tough one for me).

The primary vocalist in our band (we all take a kick at lead vocals) is friggin' AWESOME. The dude has the sweetest most soulful voice you can imagine - we cover Tim McGraw's "Stars Go Blue" quite well, then he totally rocks out and nails hard rock tunes by Nickleback etc. with passion and a great gravelly rasp. Increadible! We'll have to get some recordings off the board and I'll post here for some feedback.