PDA

View Full Version : Ibanez RG2550Z

chongmagic
September 13th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I just received my new RG2550Z last week. I ordered it about six months ago, so it is almost like Christmas came early this year!

This guitar is amazing, it is definitely my favorite now. I also have a 90 Strat Plus, but the Ibanez is just a whole different animal.

The Ibanez branded Dimarzio pickups sound a lot better than I imagined, but one day I might add some Evolutions or something else.

I will post some real life pics soon, until then here is a generic pic.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/images/eg2008/RG2550Z_GK_00_01.gif

Spudman
September 13th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Beautiful guitar. I have several Ibanez guitars and like them very much but none of them have the ZR tremolo. How do you like it? How does that tremolo feel?

chongmagic
September 13th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Spudman, it is a little different from the edge tremolo. I believe it is just a tad more stiffer, if that makes since. You can control that somewhat by using the thumbwheel on the back, which is nice to have. But after playing it I have gotten used to it so the tension difference isn't that noticeable.

It really stays in tune no matter how much I use the tremolo.

chongmagic
September 13th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I just wanted to add that I did at one time have the 2550E that I purchased from a major online retailer. However, when I got it home they had sent me one that had been previously owned. The case was broken, the plastic zipper bag was torn open, and the frets were not edged properly. So I sent it back and ordered the Z model from a local store.

So I have tried both the Edge Pro and the ZR systems. Again the major difference is the tension. The ZR has a tad more, but sometimes more is less right? :)

marnold
September 14th, 2008, 01:06 PM
VERY nice guitar. I've always liked the looks of Ibanez's pseudo-pointy Strat bodies.

just strum
September 14th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Looks nice. I owned an Ibanez and it's one of my "I wish I never sold it" list.

I knew marnold would love the points.

How is the neck on that guitar? That was one of the features I liked about my ARC300.

Spudman
September 14th, 2008, 04:59 PM
That extra tension is caused mainly by the backstop system isn't it? From what I've heard the new trems have ball bearings in the pivots so that part should be really smooth.

I had an older model Ibanez with an Edge tremolo and the backstop is the thing that bugged me about it. It made it feel too tight overall. I was wondering if they had gotten past that with the ZRs?

warren0728
September 14th, 2008, 05:02 PM
looks nice....can't wait for the real life pics....

ww

marnold
September 14th, 2008, 05:48 PM
I'm not too hip on the Ibanez trem systems. Is the ZR newer than the various Edges? Higher end?

Algonquin
September 14th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Ibanez = :AOK: Good choice!
Cheers :beer:

chongmagic
September 14th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Just strum, the neck is very thin I believe it is the wizard III neck. I haven't played many older RG's but I believe it is a tad thinner than the older models.

Spudman, yes the tremolo has a backstop sort of like the hipshot trem-setter on some Strat models. You can remove it though and have a "true" floating trem. The ZR on the RG's is somewhat of a hybrid between the Edge and ZR on the S series. Basicaly the major difference is that the S series have the ball-bearing pivots while the RG has a knife edge. I really like it though but I am by no means a connoisseur at these types of tremolos. I have played Strats most of my life.

Marnold, the previous 2550 had an Edge Pro tremolo which I had the opportunity to try out. It has a lot less tension it seems and is easier to bend. The ZR system is a little tighter but I have gotten used to it and like it very much. From what I have read most people think that the Edge Lo Pros were the best. However, I don't believe they make those anymore. I think that some of the original JEM's had the Lo Pros and Steve Vai himself still uses that type of trem on his guitars.

To be honest I wouldn't mind owning a JEM someday, but I am not big on the white with gold hardware. I would like to own an older model with the original Lo Pro and possibly when they offered more colors.

Thanks for the comments and sorry I wrote so much, I am charging my camera as we speak to take some pictures soon. Pictures though do not do this guitar justice.