PDA

View Full Version : Choices...which one?

TS808
September 14th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Looking at the new digital/analog modeling amps that have come out recently, looks like some tough choices ahead for those planning to purchase a new digital amp.

Peavey Vypyr, Vox ADVT series, or Spider Valve?

Which one would you pick out of the three if you were buying a modeling amp now?

If I were in the market for one of these, I think I'd be leaning towards the new Vox chrome amps.

Any other thoughts?

tunghaichuan
September 14th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Without having heard any of them, I'd look at the Spider Valve first. It was designed by Bogner. And it has power tubes in it as well as 12AX7 tubes.

As with any guitar gear, you'll have to try it all (if you are able) and get what sounds best to you (advice from Captain Obvious, I know). :D

tung

Looking at the new digital/analog modeling amps that have come out recently, looks like some tough choices ahead for those planning to purchase a new digital amp.

Peavey Vypyr, Vox ADVT series, or Spider Valve?

Which one would you pick out of the three if you were buying a modeling amp now?

If I were in the market for one of these, I think I'd be leaning towards the new Vox chrome amps.

Any other thoughts?

just strum
September 14th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Without having heard any of them, I'd look at the Spider Valve first. It was designed by Bogner. And it has power tubes in it as well as 12AX7 tubes.

tung

Tung,

For those of us that have no clue what that means - What does that mean?

Robert
September 14th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I haven't tried any of them, but the new VT series amps from Vox (not the ADVT) or the Peavey Vypyr would be first on my list to try.

tunghaichuan
September 14th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Tung,

For those of us that have no clue what that means - What does that mean?

The Spider Valve has an actual tube power amp using 6L6 tubes. It also has 12AX7 preamp tubes. I believe the 12AX7s are in the amp to warm up the DSP sounds, I'm not sure if they are configured as gain stages or not.

Reinhold Bogner is a well-respected tube amp designer. His company, Bogner Amplification (http://www.bogneramplification.com/) makes very good, but expensive, all-tube amps: Shiva, Duende, etc.

On paper the Spider Valve seems like the best of both worlds: warmth from tubes, flexible sound processing from the DSP circuits.

tung

sunvalleylaw
September 14th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Having had a very little experience with both the original Vox amps, and the Peavey, (which I just bought for my son http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/cat/454/item/116751/number/03584290/Vypyr%26reg%3B30.cfm), I vote Peavey right now. It is too early to tell about quality control issues, but Peavey has a good reputation for making things right, and for being good to deal with. Hopefully I won't have to test that rep anyway.

In my opinion, the new improvements to the Vox series does not justify the extra $$ you have to pay to get a similar modeling amp, and the Peavey's interface, and included tools like a looper, onboard tuner, and the stompboxes and rack effects give it the nod. My son's b-day is not for a few days, so I can't pull it out and really tear into it. However, I did get to play around with it with the aid of the salesperson who is a good guitarist, and together, we dialed in some really nice sounds. Peavey's presets all need to be changed, for my taste anyway, as they tend to be a bit oversaturated, like a lot of mfr's presets when you get a multi pedal. But you can dial in some really nice tones, and the transtube, while not true tube of course, provides nice, warm sounds, and the analog distortion sounds nice and raw and real. EDIT: Interestingly, the salesperson walked me through how you could rely on the analog distortion of the amp models, (still backing off the saturation in the pre-sets) to get great tones "dry" before adding any stompboxes or rack effects. The stomp boxes are on a knob first in line, because that is typically first in line in the signal chain, then the amp models, then the rack effects that would be more typically applied in an effects loop. All is tweakable with the eq (low, mid, high) and pre and post gain knobs, which also serve as adjustment knobs for the effects. The models are cool, and the engineers notes are interesting as well. It even has a Peavey Classic series model based on the C-50, which is a sound near and dear to my heart.

So for a good full featured modeler, I think Peavey has it going right now, esp. with the price point, as long as they take care of any QC issues that come up. The knobs are on the light side, but that is not a big deal, and the cab seems lighter than my C-30, but looks well constructed. The Vox seems a bit heavier, and with the cheese grater, a bit more industrially constructed at least by feel. The Peavey comes with a blue marvel speaker, which is nice. I also wish that they made the speaker mute when you hook up for recording, via USB for the 75 and up, and headphone jack for the 30, optional, so you could hear yourself play as you recorded, without relying always on the computer sound output.

I am very interested in the tube driven Vypyr 60, but that has not shipped yet. I have no experience with the Line 6 Spyders, but I do like my toneport.

Spudman
September 14th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I tried the Spider Valve and didn't like it very much. I posted to that effect a while ago and stated the reasons why. You'll have to search for that post because I don't know where it is.:)

I've been reading a lot on the Vypyr and coming from folks that have owned a variety of the top modeling amps they are saying that sound wise it is definitely the best modeling amp yet. However, there have been some mention of technical glitches mostly having to do with the power supply. It seems that if the amp has that issue then it surfaces right away and is taking care of either under warranty or with the sellers guarantee. So not much to worry about. I think Peavey is also coming out with a tube version of the Vypyr as well.

sunvalleylaw
September 14th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I think Peavey is also coming out with a tube version of the Vypyr as well.

Yep.

http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/cat/454/item/116748/number/03586730/Vypyr%26reg%3BTube60.cfm

tunghaichuan
September 14th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I tried the Spider Valve and didn't like it very much. I posted to that effect a while ago and stated the reasons why. You'll have to search for that post because I don't know where it is.:)

Spudman:

Your comments are in this thread:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=4027

Good to know. I've never tried one. Like a lot of things, the difference between theory and praxis is that it works in theory...

TS808:

Don't forget to try the Fender SuperChampXD and VibroChampXD. I tried the VibroChampXD a while back and I liked it. I thought it sounded very good. The FX aren't super programmable/flexible, but they sound OK for what they are. Another thing: I believe both of the SCXD and VCXD are on Fender's "do not repair" list. They have a 5-year warranty, so don't open up the amp or void the warranty. If it breaks during the 5 years, they just give you a new one; Fender repair techs will not fix them under warranty.

tung

marnold
September 14th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I'd have to listen to all of them. The tube was secondary when I got my AD30VT. To me it just sounded better than the readily-available SS Marshalls and Roland Cubes. Let your ears do the walking (or listening or something).

TS808
September 14th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I think digital amps have come a long way and continue to improve, and the prices any more are unbeatable.

What I'm liking about the digital amps is the versatility that comes with them. I'd imagine most of them sound very good these days and will continue to improve.

I've seen some posts on the Vypyr on other forums where one of the critiques is that they are a bit overdone on the treble side. Peavey supposedly voiced them pretty bright to "cut through the mix", but after numerous returns/complaints, is supposed to correct the problem with the next batch that comes out. Some folks though are saying their Vypyrs don't sound too ice-picky though.

just strum
September 14th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I'd have to listen to all of them. The tube was secondary when I got my AD30VT. To me it just sounded better than the readily-available SS Marshalls and Roland Cubes. Let your ears do the walking (or listening or something).

I'll buy the Jensen speaker and give you a report, you buy the three amps (amphs) and provide us with a report.