PDA

View Full Version : Noise with the AD30VT

just strum
September 14th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I have a question regarding the noise I hear with my AD30VT.

When I have the setting on manual and then make a single strum of the strings, it begins to break up as the sound from the strum goes on. I have no effects set and I've made various adjustments to gain, treble, middle, bass, and volume, but the break up won't go away. However, if I go to preset I don't get that when set at boutique CL through UK 70's. The rest of the settings will begin to do that.

So, what would cause the break-up when I am in the manual position?

I do not get the same with the Valve Jr.

marnold
September 14th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Your noise gate is set too high. Dial it back a bit. IIRC the noise gate settings are a part of the presets. In manual mode it would be whatever the dial says.

tunghaichuan
September 14th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Without seeing the amp or hearing it, I would say that it may be due to some artifact of the digital processing. It is hard to diagnose the amp without being able to listen to it though. Do you have a trusted tech you could take it to?

Your VJ doesn't do this because it is all analog.

tung

I have a question regarding the noise I hear with my AD30VT.

When I have the setting on manual and then make a single strum of the strings, it begins to break up as the sound from the strum goes on. I have no effects set and I've made various adjustments to gain, treble, middle, bass, and volume, but the break up won't go away. However, if I go to preset I don't get that when set at boutique CL through UK 70's. The rest of the settings will begin to do that.

So, what would cause the break-up when I am in the manual position?

I do not get the same with the Valve Jr.

just strum
September 14th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Your noise gate is set too high. Dial it back a bit. IIRC the noise gate settings are a part of the presets. In manual mode it would be whatever the dial says.

Thanks. I was concerned I had a amp or amph problem. I also was thinking it was the perfect reason (excuse) for that new speaker.

ted s
September 14th, 2008, 02:07 PM
ok,

Mrs. Strum, Strummi desperately needs to replace the speaker in his Vox amph.

Done

marnold
September 14th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Thanks. I was concerned I had a amp or amph problem. I also was thinking it was the perfect reason (excuse) for that new speaker.
Well, you could do that anyway. :)

just strum
September 14th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I probably will. It's an inexpensive way to satisfy GAS.

Ted, you are now on the list of people my wife says I shouldn't associate with. I think everyone here is on that list, although I have been very well behaved in the "guitar buying" arena. It's amazing what lack of cash will do to your spending habits.

marnold
September 14th, 2008, 02:36 PM
You could try out one of those Jensen Mod speakers I linked to in another thread. It's cheap and that way you could tell the rest of us if it is any good!

just strum
September 14th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I did a Google search of this site and I did find that WackyT uses them in his amps, maybe he can provide some information on them.

I wouldn't know which one to get, 10-35, 10-50, or 10-70. I wonder how these compare to the Celestion G10. They seem to get good reviews, but again, I no nothing about speakers.

marnold
September 14th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I would think that the 10-35 would be plenty since the AD30VT can only put out 30W. The speaker is rated at 35W, 70W max.

just strum
September 14th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I would think that the 10-35 would be plenty since the AD30VT can only put out 30W. The speaker is rated at 35W, 70W max.

You are thinking about changing the speaker in yours too, correct?

marnold
September 14th, 2008, 05:46 PM
You are thinking about changing the speaker in yours too, correct?
True dat.

duhvoodooman
September 15th, 2008, 11:16 AM
FWIW, on the presets, the default setting for the noise reduction is about 10:30 - 11 o'clock for the low gain models, and about 1:30 for the higher gain stuff.

just strum
September 15th, 2008, 11:21 AM
DVM, while you're here - any thoughts on the Jensen Mod speakers?