PDA

View Full Version : Scuttle Buttin' - my attempt at this SRV song (video)

Robert
June 2nd, 2006, 08:56 PM
I did a quick attempt at this song at my lunch break today. It is HARD! Actually even harder than I expected. The timing is tricky to get right.

I also find I need to get a special sound in order to make all the notes sound smooth. I ended up using the AC 30 model on my Vox AD50VT. I used compressor+chorus as effect. I found I needed some compression for this sound, otherwise the fast stuff wouldn't sound clear enough (which really means I just play sloppy).

Anyway, check it out and realize what a giant SRV was on the guitar!

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-13.php

Tim
June 3rd, 2006, 12:08 PM
Good stuff there Robert. Will you do a slowed down version? Your videos are very good for beginners. We get to see what you are actually doing.

marnold
June 3rd, 2006, 05:58 PM
That lick is hellaciously hard. I've been beating on it for a long time now and still can't play it at full speed.

duhvoodooman
June 3rd, 2006, 07:19 PM
That lick is hellaciously hard. I've been beating on it for a long time now and still can't play it at full speed.
Amen and hear, hear! Me either. I have an SRV instructional DVD with Greg Koch, who slows it W-A-A-Y-Y down, so I know how the riff should be played. But there's just no freakin' way these old fingers will ever be able to move that fast.

Here's an approximation that I use, which I can just about handle if I really concentrate. I call it....

Scuttle Fakin' (http://duhvoodooman.com/audio_clips/scuttle_fakin.mp3) ;)

Robert
June 3rd, 2006, 08:38 PM
What did you guys think of my attempt?

Tim
June 4th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Well gosh darn there Robert, I think the attempt and attack was just awesome. All kidding aside, as stated before your videos are very helpful to me. But I must say that some of the finger movement (shredding to me) is a little fast for me to see what you are doing. I am sure your videos are helping a lot of people.

Robert
June 4th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Thanks Tim, this was not really a lesson, just an attempt by me at playing this song. I'm not sure I can play well enough to make it into a lesson!

duhvoodooman
June 4th, 2006, 11:28 AM
What did you guys think of my attempt?
Oops! I was so busy commiserating with Marnold on how hard the darn riff is that I forgot to compliment you on how well I thought you did with it. Maybe not quite as smooth as SRV, but still very good. If you need to practice more, at least it isn't very much.

On the other hand, it's discouraging to me to know that a very, very good guitarist such as yourself still considers this riff so difficult. Just another "reality check" on my own playing. No guitarist who aspires to improvement likes to confront the reality that some things, no matter how devoutly wished and fervently practiced, will probably forever be beyond their grasp.... :(

Iago
June 14th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Great Rob! I`ll try to figure those licks myself... I never stopped to hear how cool they are `till now!

kerc
July 11th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Dang, Robert, that was good. :D You forgot the hat and the fringy jacket, though. ;)

Robert
July 11th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Thanks! I am actually NOT playing it correctly though... somebody pointed out that I am missing one note, and upon closer inspection, I realized it's true. Gotta have to do a new version of that, playing it correctly. Sounds cool anyway though, because it sounds so friggin fast!

ted s
July 11th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Gotta like it Robert, like all your demos.. Any idea when your instructional DVD may be available ?

Ted

Robert
July 11th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Thanks Ted, no I am far from being finished with any good DVDs. It is hard to find the time to do it right. I'm also not sure what to focus on - I have gotten so many different ideas from different people. If you have suggestions for DVD content - send me a PM.

sunvalleylaw
March 21st, 2007, 05:13 PM
Amen and hear, hear! Me either. I have an SRV instructional DVD with Greg Koch, who slows it W-A-A-Y-Y down, so I know how the riff should be played. But there's just no freakin' way these old fingers will ever be able to move that fast.

Here's an approximation that I use, which I can just about handle if I really concentrate. I call it....

Scuttle Fakin' (http://duhvoodooman.com/audio_clips/scuttle_fakin.mp3) ;)

I have that same DVD, that I got when I won a question of the day thing from my local music store. I watched that thing, then thought to myself, "You have a long way to go, son." :p

P.S. Robert - I thought you did a great job! This is one of the first lessons of yours I watched. I did not notice the "missing" note, and would have to re-watch and compare to catch it. I thought you ripped it up. Maybe if I keep practicing, I can learn some of that.

zeusse
May 7th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Heck Robert for a first attempt that pretty darn good and the first time I missed the note missing so if you did'nt mention it I wouldn't have noticed I'll have to give this one a shot haven't done any SRV for awhile now....now you got me inspired