PDA

View Full Version : How many of you are 2 channel or more amp users?

Tone2TheBone
September 15th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Voodoo made me think about something the other day about one of my amps. I was wondering how many of you guys play through 2 channel amps? Well let me rephrase that...2 channel amps WITH a gain and master volume adjustable on either channel or on both. I don't mean Fender amps with 2 channels either. Some kind of amp that incorporates some amount of distortion by itself with the ability to have a separate channel that is clean.

sunvalleylaw
September 15th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Like my C-30? I play with that, and use both the clean and separately controlled dirt channel and enjoy them both.

marnold
September 15th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I'm guessing that the AD30VT is not what you had in mind, although my two user presets are for a Blackface clean and a Soldano crunch (or crush as the case may be).

Tone2TheBone
September 15th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I'm guessing that the AD30VT is not what you had in mind, although my two user presets are for a Blackface clean and a Soldano crunch (or crush as the case may be).

I hadn't even thought about the AD series Vox amps. That would sorta count as a multi channel amp I suppose. Ok so we got 2 users so far.....possibly more....

hubberjub
September 15th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Nope. My Mesa is a two channel amp but I just use the clean channel. I don't care for using a master volume for overdriving an amp. It just isn't the sound I'm looking for.

Tone2TheBone
September 15th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Nope. My Mesa is a two channel amp but I just use the clean channel. I don't care for using a master volume for overdriving an amp. It just isn't the sound I'm looking for.

So it sounds like you're either playing clean most of the time or turning up full blast for power tube satch and grit. Nice dude.

Robert
September 15th, 2008, 01:49 PM
My Valvetronix has lots of amp models, but generally I use just one amp sound and pedals to taste. This might change with my next Marshall though. ;)

Tone2TheBone
September 15th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I don't have to use pedals with my Jubilee. Voodoo says I'm lucky in that regard. I agree go get that Marshall already quit talking about it and do it.

marnold
September 15th, 2008, 03:14 PM
This might change with my next Marshall though. ;)
Next Marshall? Is there a previous purchase we have not been informed about?

tunghaichuan
September 15th, 2008, 03:20 PM
My current rig is just a heavily modified single-channel Valve Junior. I just run a bunch of pedals into the front end. I find this a lot more versatile than two channel amps I've used in the past.

tung

Robert
September 15th, 2008, 03:21 PM
I had a Marshall when I was a kid, hence the statement "next" Marshall. My Heatseeker is basically a Marshall too, by the way.

ShortBuSX
September 15th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I was wondering how many of you guys play through 2 channel amps? Well let me rephrase that...2 channel amps WITH a gain and master volume adjustable on either channel or on both. I don't mean Fender amps with 2 channels either. Some kind of amp that incorporates some amount of distortion by itself with the ability to have a separate channel that is clean.

I dont understand...my Fender has 3 channels, clean, drive and more drive and I use all three. My Deville may not have a Master Volume in the traditional sense, and it doesnt have a seperate tone stack for each channel...but to me it has 3 useable channels and I rarely reach for a drive or distortion pedal, as I havent found anything thatll match the fat chunkiness of my drive channels..although I am still looking.

So why not Fender amps? Why are we excluded in this?:confused:

hubberjub
September 15th, 2008, 05:06 PM
So it sounds like you're either playing clean most of the time or turning up full blast for power tube satch and grit. Nice dude.

I like my crunchy power tubes!

markb
September 15th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Tech 21 TM60 here. Ch1 = Fender(ish) cleans Ch2 = Marshall(ish) drives. It'll do more than that but can't think why I'd want it to. One guitar, two cables, one footswitch, sorted.

t_ross33
September 15th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Mark, do you ever use the TM60's DI when playing live, or do you prefer to mic your amp, if at all?

TS808
September 15th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I primarily use my Flextone III on 4 settings...I think that's plenty and don't see a need for the big floorboard at this point. On my Valvetronix, it's 3 channels (using the manual mode as a third).

I like a nice clean, crunch, and distorted tone....can always add additional effects.

wingsdad
September 15th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Tech 21 TM60 here. Ch1 = Fender(ish) cleans Ch2 = Marshall(ish) drives. It'll do more than that but can't think why I'd want it to. One guitar, two cables, one footswitch, sorted.

Ditto. Same amp, the 1x12 Celestion 7080 combo version. Great SansAmp DI, too.

Spudman
September 15th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I dont understand...my Fender has 3 channels, clean, drive and more drive and I use all three.
So why not Fender amps? Why are we excluded in this?:confused:

I think the Hot Rod series qualifies. I think Tone meant like a Deluxe Reverb, Princeton, Vibrolux etc. as far as the Fender thing goes.

I use a two channel amp all the time too for gigs. I hardly ever use the dirty channel on them except on the Crate VC5212. The dirty channel on that one sounds very Marshall like. That amp can stand alone without the need for a distortion pedal.
I can't use the dirty channel on the H&K because it's too loud. Seriously.

markb
September 16th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Mark, do you ever use the TM60's DI when playing live, or do you prefer to mic your amp, if at all?

Trev, if I have to keep the onstage volume down I'll use the DI every time. I can't spot any difference between an SM57 against the grill and the DI sound so I use the one that needs less fuss.

Wingsdad, mine has the "Tech 21 Special Design" speaker. I bought mine in '95. It was part of the first batch that came into the UK.

Tone2TheBone
September 16th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I think the Hot Rod series qualifies. I think Tone meant like a Deluxe Reverb, Princeton, Vibrolux etc. as far as the Fender thing goes.

I use a two channel amp all the time too for gigs. I hardly ever use the dirty channel on them except on the Crate VC5212. The dirty channel on that one sounds very Marshall like. That amp can stand alone without the need for a distortion pedal.
I can't use the dirty channel on the H&K because it's too loud. Seriously.

Yup thanks Spud, that's what I meant guys.

Algonquin
September 17th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Tone, I know you're no stranger to the C-30 which I think has an excellent gain channel. Is it considered a two channel amp when only only channel can be used at a time?... I don't know.

ShootTheGlass
September 17th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I have a 112 Bandit which has that, but thats a solid state; so not sure if that counts.

TwinACStacks
September 22nd, 2008, 08:51 AM
Being New Here, I'm going out on a Limb. Before You Blow this off, I've been Playing almost 40Yrs. So this is Not a review from HC. I have a devastating Amp 3 Channel. are You ready? B52 AT100. Don't laugh it EATS My DSL100.

Under the Hood, But keep in Mind they are VERY good sounding Amps STOCK, Are New Power,Output and Choke By Mercury Magnetics. V1 Sports An Nos RFT 12AX7, V2 is an Nos RCA 5751, V3 and V4 Gold Pin JJ 12Ax7s and in V5 (PI Matched and Balanced JJ12AX7. Reverb and Effects Loop are JJ12AT7 and Goldpin ECC803s Respectively. Because the PT was ordered with a Higher B+ it enables me to Run Larger Tubes with Greater Heater supplies without Messing with the Transformer. I Run Tungsol or JJ KT66's Biased towards the Hot side.

This Amp will Do EVERYTHING except for Vox Chime. It has its OWN Voicing that is Neither Mesa or Marshall. The Cab is running 4 Celestion G12Hs .

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c162/TwinACStacks/BFiftyTwo.jpg

:bravo: :bravo: TWIN