PDA

View Full Version : Jensen Speakers

just strum
September 15th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I was asking about Jensen speakers in the modeling amp section, but since it is a mod I will give it its own thread in the mod section.

Thinking about replacing the speakers in my AD30VT, Valve Jr, and purchasing speakers (12") for some cab conversion. The Jensen's (Jensen Mod) seem very reasonably priced, but does the lower cost come with some lost performance?

I see WackyT used Jensen and I was anyone else is familiar with them enough that they could provide a good short review.

This would be of interest for a few of us here at the forum.

tunghaichuan
September 15th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Strum,

I'm not familiar with the Jensen Mod line, or the AD30VT. But from what others have said, the Mod's are neutral sounding speakers, correct?

Here is the Jensen page:

http://www.jensenvintage.com/mod_index.htm

For your Vox, I would go with the 10-70. This will give you the most clean headroom of all the speakers. It also has the greatest sensitivity at 98dB/watt/meter. This means that if you put one watt of power into the speaker and measure the output at one meter away, you get 98 deciBels. IMHO, for modeling amps you want as much clean headroom from the speaker and as much speaker sensitivity as you can get. You want to run the power amp clean and get the distortion from the modeling software. Overdriving the power section will get you nasty digital distortion, which is a Bad Thing.

Like everything else, sometimes a lower price means worse performance, but not always. The Jensen Mods may work fine for you, or they may not. The only way to be 100% sure is to try them out.

HTH,

tung

I was asking about Jensen speakers in the modeling amp section, but since it is a mod I will give it its own thread in the mod section.

Thinking about replacing the speakers in my AD30VT, Valve Jr, and purchasing speakers (12") for some cab conversion. The Jensen's (Jensen Mod) seem very reasonably priced, but does the lower cost come with some lost performance?

I see WackyT used Jensen and I was anyone else is familiar with them enough that they could provide a good short review.

This would be of interest for a few of us here at the forum.

marnold
September 15th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Here's the official Jensen Mod page (http://www.jensenvintage.com/mod_index.htm) (edit: beat me to it, Tung!). They call them "clear and transparent with just a hint of their British rival’s sound." It sounds like they're geared to be cheaper versions of Celestions. According to their tone chart (http://www.jensenvintage.com/tonechart_3.htm) there is more than just wattage differences between the various 10" Mods. FWIW, MF has the 35W for $35 and the 50W for $40.

WackyT
September 15th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I like the sound of the Jensen Mods in my amps. The one in my Pignose is warm sounding, and the one in my Fender is a lot more neutral sounding.

TS808
September 15th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I've seen reviews on the MOD speakers and the vast majority have been excellent. The MOD was supposed to be somewhat "transparent" so as not to color the sound in a modeler or any other amp. For that price, it's worth a try in my opinion.

Duff
September 16th, 2008, 07:23 AM
My limitted edition Fender Hot Rod Deluxe came with an upgraded speaker: a Jensen P12N that is supposed to be an outstanding speaker, not inexpensive. The amp has great tone and the speaker, of course is a big part of that.

Also, I put an Emminence Ragin Cajun in my Fender Super Champ XD and this speaker is really really nice, very sensitive, and yeilded improved tone and a lot, yes, a lot more volume because of its higher number sensitivity rating, like 101 or so. Plus, the Super Champ XD is a moddeling amp and reproduces the Fender models very well and is the speaker most recommended to replace the mediocre stock Fender speaker. The magnet weighs about ten times as much as the stock speaker.

Hope this give you some ideas. I got the Emminencd Ragin Cajun from MF for about 65 dollars, shipped.

Duffy