PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else "hit the wall" when it came to learning the guitar?

ShootTheGlass
September 16th, 2008, 03:54 PM
As some of you are aware, Im still relatively new to playing - about 12/18months or so. I think Ive come on ok so far, and I can play a few bits and pieces, some scales, and my picking is far better.

However, I feel like I dont see where I get better from here; I feel like I havent actually progressed in a while. I think Im probably just expecting too much, possibly not realising that I am actually getting better. Its easy to think back to the day I first picked up a guitar and theres no two ways about it, Im far better than then, but I cant help but think "how the hell do I get better from here?"

Rationally thinking, Im probably being over-critical and over-expectant, but has anyone else gone through the feeling of hitting a wall?

This post sounds rather more despondent than I intended haha

warren0728
September 16th, 2008, 04:38 PM
i haven't made much progress lately....part of it is my fault....not working on it enough....part of it is not being focused on what i want to accomplish...some days i think i want to learn theory....the next day i just want to play lead riffs....i have realized that i really don't know many songs from start to finish....so i want to work on that too.... :thwap: :messedup:

ww

tunghaichuan
September 16th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I've been there pretty much since I started, about 20 years ago :D I have no innate musical ability, so to compensate I taught myself to build amps and I currently buy gear. ;)

tung

As some of you are aware, Im still relatively new to playing - about 12/18months or so. I think Ive come on ok so far, and I can play a few bits and pieces, some scales, and my picking is far better.

However, I feel like I dont see where I get better from here; I feel like I havent actually progressed in a while. I think Im probably just expecting too much, possibly not realising that I am actually getting better. Its easy to think back to the day I first picked up a guitar and theres no two ways about it, Im far better than then, but I cant help but think "how the hell do I get better from here?"

Rationally thinking, Im probably being over-critical and over-expectant, but has anyone else gone through the feeling of hitting a wall?

This post sounds rather more despondent than I intended haha

ted s
September 16th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I am a mix of both Tung and Nekid-Pancake-Boy.
I'm up against the wall right now and will be watching this thread.

Robert
September 16th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Do you have a teacher? That will make a big difference, at least if you have a GOOD teacher...

tunghaichuan
September 16th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Robert,

Do you have any tips for finding a good teacher?

I've tried a few in the past, but never have found someone who clicked.

tung

Do you have a teacher? That will make a big difference, at least if you have a GOOD teacher...

Spudman
September 16th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Ya, I don't know...it's never happened to me.:rolleyes: :whatever:

Okay so it has.:o

One thing that can make a big difference is to play with someone else. In cycling we always say 'you're only fast by yourself.' When you hook up with someone else it is going to take to into new territory and a different learning and adaptation process begins. Then it's not just about you any more. It becomes this thing you create, the music. Your thinking has to change and your auto-neuro responses adapt. This is where the musician or artist in you starts to evolve. When this happens then you can move out of being playing focused and drift into song, music, or creative focused. This will help you in those times that you are describing.

In cycling you can really only be so fast by yourself but when you get a whole bunch of guys together (peloton) you can go much faster and further.

I hope the analogy helps.

If it doesn't help then search the forum because we talked about what to do about 'ruts' quite a bit.

just strum
September 16th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I never viewed it the way Spud explained (the cycling), but that is a good way of viewing it.

Another thing, if you are not playing with one or more other guitarist, lay out a plan that has direction. By direction, I mean that each step is a building block to the next step. Mark Wein lessons are laid out that way and you will see progress. Get some books that will help you with the genre that interests you. Right now I am using "Blues That You Can Use" and I am finding it beneficial and no boredom.

There are a number of posts here about being in a rut and how to get out. What you are experiencing is the same thing.

Rocket
September 16th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Has anyone else "hit the wall" when it came to learning the guitar?
I've hit the floor a few times.

(Keep testing your boundries. Purge your setlist and develop a completely new one... that should cure your rut.)

just strum
September 16th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Remember, everyone hits the wall, regardless of talent level. Well, except for Rocket, he's more efficient and lets gravity do the work and hits the floor.

It's all part of the journey.

warren0728
September 16th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Mark Wein lessons are laid out that way and you will see progress. Get some books that will help you with the genre that interests you. Right now I am using "Blues That You Can Use" and I am finding it beneficial and no boredom.
i've got mark's book and i also have "blues you can use"....just need to devote more time to the journey! :greenguitar:

ww

sumitomo
September 16th, 2008, 07:33 PM
I see a lot of good ideas here.Have you ever tape recorded yourself playing?Practice on a passage,lick,scale whatever and record it several times and you will hear where you need to improve and break it up from practice to loose fun cause it's all about fun.Sumi:D

R_of_G
September 17th, 2008, 07:53 AM
One thing that can make a big difference is to play with someone else. In cycling we always say 'you're only fast by yourself.' When you hook up with someone else it is going to take to into new territory and a different learning and adaptation process begins. Then it's not just about you any more. It becomes this thing you create, the music. Your thinking has to change and your auto-neuro responses adapt. This is where the musician or artist in you starts to evolve. When this happens then you can move out of being playing focused and drift into song, music, or creative focused. This will help you in those times that you are describing.

Excellent advice Spud. I have found this to be true. Additionally, after I have played with others, I find that when I return to playing alone, I can take something from the group experience and apply it to my solo playing which I may not have thought of previously. Playing in as many different situations as possible is an excellent way to shift your perspective which should always lead to enhanced creativity.

Robert
September 17th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Robert,

Do you have any tips for finding a good teacher?

I've tried a few in the past, but never have found someone who clicked.

tung

Go to several places with guitar teachers. Ask others who are taking lessons there or have been taking lessons. Do some research. Don't be afraid to ask.

Also, make it very clear to the teacher what your goals are. Be honest too, if something isn't work for you, tell the teacher right away.

evenkeel
September 17th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Lots of good advice. Spuds cycling analogy is a good one. Running, tennis, lots of sports could be substitited for cycling.

One thing you mentioned, learning tunes cover to cover would be a good thing to focus on. Mrs. Keel used to say I knew bits and pieces of a zillion tunes and zippo cover to cover. I made a effort to be disciplined and learn whole songs. Really helped as I got a lot more satisfaction of playing.

Getting stuck in a rut is very common.

aeolian
September 17th, 2008, 10:19 AM
One thing you mentioned, learning tunes cover to cover would be a good thing to focus on. Mrs. Keel used to say I knew bits and pieces of a zillion tunes and zippo cover to cover. I made a effort to be disciplined and learn whole songs. Really helped as I got a lot more satisfaction of playing.

This is great advice. Although playing for a long time, I don't consider myself any good, but here's a few things that have helped me:

- Learn some songs from beginning to end, just like Evenkeel said. The movement of a song through verse/chorus is important to learn
- Play music with other people if possible. This really is an application of the first point. When you play with others you are pushed to do a song from cover to cover discovering all the gotcha along the way
- If you can't or won't play with other people, play to backing tracks. It is a reasonable simulation of playing with other people.
- Record yourself playing with others or to a backing track. I was much embarrassed when I recorded myself since I discovered that I go off beat, play the wrong notes, mis-pick, and in general demonstrated what a lousy player I really am

As far as hitting a wall is concerned: my progress rate is like that of a tortoise, at that speed I can't bump my head too hard.

sunvalleylaw
September 17th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I have run into that in the last year. As I switched teachers, my new instructor finished up with me some stuff I had already been focusing on with expanding my improvising leads, and developing more expression, primarily in an expanded pentatonic concept and adding in chord tones.

But then I was stuck for a while, and what we did is go back to basics in a different area I had not mastered before, specifically, right hand work, both in picking and rhythm. A few new songs, two of which at least are in a completely different style, were assigned to learn cover to cover. So I guess the solution for me this time was to work basics in a different area from where I had been focusing. Took me in a different direction to get out of the rut, and is helping to develop fundamentals that were not truly there yet.

I guess if it were tennis, I would be moving from focusing on net play to improving footwork and groundstroke fundamentals. Or maybe moving from offroad bike handling to cadence and spin over distance.

A good instructor helps, and I am happy with the one I have. He helped me finish off the chapter I was on, and assessed and redirected me to where I needed to go, helping me understand fundamental music theory knowledge along the way. Weirdly enough, Mark Wein's lessons seem to track eerily with the areas I am working on with my instructor. Mark, where do you have that camera hidden? :eek:

Mr Grumpy
September 17th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Ive hit the wall - been treading water for ages. Theres a good jam night nearby, been as a spectator once but havent yet summoned the courage to go and make a noise (which is what it would be). Cant afford regular lessons either!

ShootTheGlass
September 17th, 2008, 01:24 PM
some good views here. I started taking lessons a while back, and my teacher is very good - Id say he's the reason Ive actually learned very few bad habits. Theyre also very interesting, fun, varied and useful. Unfortunately theres no one I know who plays and I could jam with nearby me, not within about 25-30 miles :S

I suppose I am being over critical, thinking about it. I understand it takes some time and its not just an overnight thing.

I should really have started learning some easy songs first ; ages ago, the first song I decided to learn was Lamb of God - Laid to Rest. I can now play it at about 50-75% tempo, which I suppose is pretty good - but a bloody daft place to start! :)

Plank_Spanker
September 17th, 2008, 04:41 PM
"The wall" and I are close friends, and we meet now and then whether we want to or not. It's part of guitar playing and everyone hits it from time to time.

In my case, the wall and I meet when I'm too close and too critical about learning a piece, and I burn myself out on it. My fix is to step away and leave it be for a few days.........................come back to it when I feel fired up to play and open minded again. Usually, it starts clicking right in.

Step away for a day or two. Play some completely unrelated "guilty indulgence". Find someone to jam with.

Just don't be too serious about it..........................have fun! :D

Rocket
September 17th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Just don't be too serious about it...
...unless it's payin' the mortgage & bills, (then snap yourself out of it!)

TS808
September 17th, 2008, 05:48 PM
I've hit the wall so many times there's an imprint of my head in it :D

I think it's something we all go through from time to time. I get in to a certain "comfort zone" with the same scales, songs, etc..

Then it's time to try something different.

Recently, I felt like all my stuff was sounding the same...my improvisations, solos, etc. I started playing along with backing tracks and what a difference.
First of all, it took me into some different territories playing along with different rhythms, etc. It also challenged me to use my ear more and not the fingering patterns I was taught.

Lastly, I recorded some of it and was surprised...much better than I thought I was after hearing myself play. I think many guitarists and artists in general are their own worst critics.

Just keep playing...don't let a rut get to you...it's just a rut, and we always get out of it. Getting in that rut is a good thing in a way...it forces us to try something different that will only make us better. :AOK:

just strum
September 17th, 2008, 05:50 PM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/eusa_wall.gif

Another thing I started doing with the books and accompanying CD's, is download them onto my computer so I can control the speed. Working strictly at full speed, I would have to stop and repeat a line over and over. Now I slow it down as much as needed and play the lesson all the way through. As I speed up the recording I eventually don't need the book to follow the tabs. Eventually I am playing the Chipmunks (ok, not that fast, but you get the idea). It's provided more sense of accomplishment and I am touring with Eric Clapton next Spring.

Plank_Spanker
September 17th, 2008, 06:33 PM
...unless it's payin' the mortgage & bills, (then snap yourself out of it!)

I know a few players that pay the bills with their playing. They are very accomplished players, writing their own music......................their "wall" lies less in their playing as it does their writing.

tjcurtin1
September 17th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Hey, Plank - speaking of hitting the wall with your head, is that Curly of the 3 Stooges in your avatar...?!? Or some famous guitarist I'm not recognizing?

Plank_Spanker
September 19th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Hey, Plank - speaking of hitting the wall with your head, is that Curly of the 3 Stooges in your avatar...?!? Or some famous guitarist I'm not recognizing?

It's Curly.....................:D