PDA

View Full Version : Ibanez DE7

Spudman
September 16th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I just picked up the Ibanez DE7. Those of you looking for an inexpensive delay should definitely check one out.

I did a bunch of research by listening to clips on the web, reading reviews and price checking for several weeks before I finally nabbed mine. I got it barely used from that auction site and it came with a Boss AC power supply for almost exactly $45. STEAL!

It's very versatile with two functions: delay and echo and a 3 position switch to select the delay range: short - medium - long. The delays sound really good from 30ms to 2.6s. The shorter delay range makes a nice reverb or room ambient sound for the dry Blackheart Little Giant and the Epiphone Valve Jr. The longer delays allow for some good sound on sound effects. When in the Echo mode it has an almost softer analog sound and will do the spaceship self oscillation noise really well.

As a comparison I have a vintage Ibanez AD9 analog delay and a Boss DD5. Both are very good for what they do but the DE7 actually sounds better so far than either as far as the sound quality of the repeats. The AD9 is almost too 'in your face' and the DD5 is right on the verge of almost too digital, but it still sounds great. There is just something nice about the way the DE7 sounds and maybe later I might be able to put my finger on what that is. I do miss the tap tempo feature that the DD5 has but maybe there might be a modification for that for the DE7. I haven't checked yet.

It is one of the Tone Lock series of Ibanez pedals and what that means is that when you find a setting that you like you can push down on the control knobs and they spring recess into the top of the unit making it nearly impossible to change the settings accidentally. Brilliant! When you want to make adjustments push down again on the knob and it will pop back up to allow manipulation.

At the price these are available for new ($59-$69) and much less used I'm seriously considering getting another to have the short ambiance on all the time along with a longer delay or echo setting on the second one.

Thumbs up to Ibanez for making a good affordable and useful tool.:AOK: