PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 112 Strat Copy

bigoldron
September 17th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Anybody played with one these? I bought one for my daughter about a year ago on Ebay for $40. Got it for her, put new ultra light strings on it and she played it twice and put it in its bag and stuck it back in her room.

Recently, I pulled it out and put some 42-9's on it and began playing it a little. I'm shocked at how well it actually plays! I leave it at the church to practice with the youth praise band, so I don't have to haul my "better" guitars back and forth. I use them when we actually perform.

Anyway, this little Yamaha plays pretty decent. It's the HSS layout with a volume and tone knob, dark gray (almost black) metallic paint job, black pickguard & pickups, rosewood fretboard and black metallic paint job on the head as well. It's not a bad looker and the neck really feels good.

I have to admit I'm impressed with the overall quality and playability. The tuners are OK at best and really could stand upgrading and, of course, the pickups are in line for an upgrade. When the budget allows, I'm thinking "upgrades"! :D

I may be alone in this, but I'd like to know if anybody else has had similar experiences with the Yamaha 112's.

Brian Krashpad
September 18th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Haven't played that model but I think Yamaha is sorta stuck in the same boat as Peavey, they actually make good products that get overllooked a lot. I had a Yamaha electric awhile back, an AES 500, and it was quite nice. It was more a retro/boltneck LP copy type thing. Had splittable pikcups, which was nice.

For $40 it's hard to go wrong for a name brand guitar.

sumitomo
September 18th, 2008, 08:39 AM
That's good to know Ron cause I'd like to keep a guitar down here at work,my hands get real dirty,plus I have an extra amp I could leave here also its and old fender HOT it will do.Sumi:D

marnold
September 18th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Yamaha Pacificas are really nice guitars. When I was first looking at getting a guitar, a friend suggested an HSS Pacifica. I should have taken his advice.

Mr Grumpy
September 18th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I had a black pacifica 112 HSS with a white scratchplate. Swapped it for an Ovation Electro, It was a superb guitar, played really well, quality construction, solida as a rock. I found the neck a bit too small for my hands (even though I dont have very large hands). The tuners were not that great but everything else was (i blocked the trem, dont use it). I seriously think they are every bit as good as a mex strat.Some people think they are better....

AT $40 its a heck of a bargain!! they are a great guitar. Worth keeping hold of for sure. Ive seen bar bands gig them and they stand up, no problem