PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Jimi

Jimi75
September 18th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Today's the 38th anniversary of the death of Jimi Hendrix.
R.I.P. Jimi and have a nice session up there with Stevie and the rest of the bunch that left us all too soon!

:master:

warren0728
September 18th, 2008, 06:16 AM
it's amazing how much influence and longevity he has had after his death....he died 27 years before my oldest kid was born and yet both of my kids know who he is (it helps having an old school dad around)...

rip jimi....

ww

Tone2TheBone
September 18th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Same here Warren. My kids know their Hendrix. R.I.P. Jimi. We dug you then and we dig you now.

luvmyshiner
September 18th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Jimi75, you just scared me there dude with that title. I was afraid you had some bad news for us.:thwap:

Robert
September 18th, 2008, 07:24 AM
His fire will always burn and keep inspiring people in many ways.

http://humanflowerproject.com/images/uploads/jimi-burning-320.jpg

sumitomo
September 18th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Yea I wore out many a record listing to Jimi in highschool.Its a good day to stomp on the octiva. Sumi:D :rockon:

marnold
September 18th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I've always wondered what might have been. What kind of music would Hendrix have been making in the mid-80s? Would he have continued on the path he seemed to be on with the Band of Gypsies? Or would people do like they've done with Clapton and just talk about "how good he used to be"? Sadly we can only speculate. If memory serves, he would only be 65 today.

Teleman77
September 18th, 2008, 12:19 PM
My God, has it really been that long?
I don't even want to guess what rock and blues guitar would sound like today if it wasn't for Jimi's huge influence.

RIP brother.

Bloozcat
September 18th, 2008, 02:16 PM
That was definitely one of those "remember where you were" times the day Jimi died.

I had just pulled up in front of my house when the news came on the radio. I just sat and listened in disbelief. I had just fulfilled a dream inspired by Jimi just a couple of months before when I bought my first Strat. Then suddenly, he was gone...

bigoldron
September 18th, 2008, 03:22 PM
My God, has it really been that long?
I don't even want to guess what rock and blues guitar would sound like today if it wasn't for Jimi's huge influence.

RIP brother.

I agree. At some point another would have risen up and possibly done what Jimi did, but not likely. He definitely left an indelible mark on the guitar and music world.

I was pleasantly surprised that my oldest daughter (all of 17 years old) actually knew who Jimi was when some of his music was playing on the radio recently. And all this time, I thought she wasn't listening when I played the Master's Music. :dude: :AOK:

We miss you and can only imagine what might have been! :master: :master:

Teleman77
September 19th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I agree. At some point another would have risen up and possibly done what Jimi did, but not likely. He definitely left an indelible mark on the guitar and music world.

I was pleasantly surprised that my oldest daughter (all of 17 years old) actually knew who Jimi was when some of his music was playing on the radio recently. And all this time, I thought she wasn't listening when I played the Master's Music. :dude: :AOK:

We miss you and can only imagine what might have been! :master: :master:

Thats cool that your kid knows who Jimi is. Every generation has THAT guitarist that is "the one"........the guitarist that redefines the instrument, the guy all the young'uns wanna play like.

The 50's had Chuck Berry
The 60's had Jimi Hendrix
The 70's had Eddie Van Halen
The 80's had Stevie Ray Vaughn
The 90's had..........who the hell DID the 90's have? Damn grunge anyway!

bigoldron
September 19th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Thats cool that your kid knows who Jimi is. Every generation has THAT guitarist that is "the one"........the guitarist that redefines the instrument, the guy all the young'uns wanna play like.

The 50's had Chuck Berry
The 60's had Jimi Hendrix
The 70's had Eddie Van Halen
The 80's had Stevie Ray Vaughn

The 00's ain't too hot either... :confused:

tunghaichuan
September 19th, 2008, 09:50 AM

The 90s had Buckethead. :master: Definitely not grunge :rotflmao:

tung

Teleman77
September 19th, 2008, 10:01 AM
The 90s had Buckethead. :master: Definitely not grunge :rotflmao:

tung

But he didn't redefine guitar like Chuck Berry, Jimi, VanHalen and SRV.

However, Nirvana did............and that IS grunge.:whatever:

Spudman
September 19th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I think you could put Joe Satriani and Steve Vai down as the champions of guitar for the 90s. They both took instrumental guitar into the popular arena. That's the best I can come up with. Although there were an awful lot of great guitarists in the 90s is is hard to speculate on who was the pivotal icon of the decade.

sunvalleylaw
September 19th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Well the icon is Cobain. New band, new sound, massive popularity, and his untimely death sealed the icon status. '90s best guitarist would be debatable. People can debate his prowess or greatness as a musician. Certainly not as complicated as Satch or Vai, and I get it that grunge is not everyone's cup of Seattle micro brew, but I still like it.

But this thread is about Jimi. I guess I can grab the off topic back and say that Cobain's guitar work is featured prominently in the interactive sections of the heavily Hendrix influenced/inspired Experience Music Project in Seattle, one time home of both Hendrix and Cobain.

Bloozcat
September 19th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Well the icon is Cobain. New band, new sound, massive popularity, and his untimely death sealed the icon status. '90s best guitarist would be debatable. People can debate his prowess or greatness as a musician. Certainly not as complicated as Satch or Vai, and I get it that grunge is not everyone's cup of Seattle micro brew, but I still like it.

But this thread is about Jimi. I guess I can grab the off topic back and say that Cobain's guitar work is featured prominently in the interactive sections of the heavily Hendrix influenced/inspired Experience Music Project in Seattle, one time home of both Hendrix and Cobain.

You'd have to expect that the Experience Music Project in Seattle would feature the only other Seattle artist who approaches Hendrix's influence (I have been there too, BTW). Grunge certainly did rise to top genre in the 90's, but we'll see if the children and grandchildren of the 90's generation are listening to Cobain like they listen to Hendrix today. Time will tell...

I'm not trying to put grunge down as a music form, or Kurt Cobain's talent and influence on his generation either, but Hendrix is an legend 40 years after his heyday and 38 years after his death. This is truly trans-generational legend status we're talking about here. This to me is like listening to big band music from the 1930's/1940's and recognizing guys like Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Duke Ellington, Tommy Dorsey, et al, as the trans-generational legends of that era. Each generation has it's good music, and if you happen to be of that generation that music often stands out in your mind. Truly great music is that which appeals to many generations, long after it was made.

Just my $.02...:)

sunvalleylaw
September 19th, 2008, 12:28 PM
You'd have to expect that the Experience Music Project in Seattle would feature the only other Seattle artist who approaches Hendrix's influence (I have been there too, BTW). Grunge certainly did rise to top genre in the 90's, but we'll see if the children and grandchildren of the 90's generation are listening to Cobain like they listen to Hendrix today. Time will tell...

I'm not trying to put grunge down as a music form, or Kurt Cobain's talent and influence on his generation either, but Hendrix is an legend 40 years after his heyday and 38 years after his death. This is truly trans-generational legend status we're talking about here. This to me is like listening to big band music from the 1930's/1940's and recognizing guys like Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Duke Ellington, Tommy Dorsey, et al, as the trans-generational legends of that era. Each generation has it's good music, and if you happen to be of that generation that music often stands out in your mind. Truly great music is that which appeals to many generations, long after it was made.

Just my $.02...:)

The EMP can use Cobain's work easily in the interactive section also because you can teach someone who has not held a guitar before to hit the main rhythm riff power chords in "Smells Like Teen Spirit" within several minutes. ;)

I agree, time will tell how much influence, and I certainly don't mean to suggest that Kurt and Jimi were equivalent, or even need to be. The rest of this should maybe be in my Nirvana thread, but I guess it filtered in here because we were mentioning 90's icons. My instructor, who is much more a prog and fusion fan, puts it like this, grungers were the singer/songwriters of the '90s. I am not sure if I agree or not, but I am thinking about his point. Both he and Jimi were cut short by substance choices. Again, not necessarily the same circumstances of course, but unfortunately they share that fate. I hope they both rest in peace.

sumitomo
September 19th, 2008, 01:08 PM
When I was in High school (70's)in the morning they had the flag raising and they would play this corny music and no one would stop walking ect to well watch the flag go up,so my friend an I decided if they heard Jimi playing the Star spangle banned they would all stop,so we did and Jimi can blaring on all the loudspeakers in the school.The principal wasn't really man at us,he listened to the album and even said man that guy can play guitar and all the different types of sounds ect.,well the student body to a vote and suspended us for three days and it was worth it and also they stopped and watched the flag go up that morning.Sumi

marnold
September 19th, 2008, 03:54 PM
The 00's ain't too hot either... :confused:
Actually, there's a TON of guys in the 00s. We're finally recovering from the 90s in that regard. The Dragonforce and Trivium guys as well as John 5, just to name five.