PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Dee Dee Ramone

R_of_G
September 18th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Born on this date in 1951, Douglas Colvin (aka Dee Dee Ramone) was the bass player and a founding member of the Ramones. Along with his bass duties, Dee Dee was the primary lyricist for the band, continuing to contribute songs to the band even after his departure in 1989.

The voice shouting the famous "1-2-3-4" count in at the beginning of so many Ramones' songs is Dee Dee.

Dee Dee struggled with addiction for large periods of his life, made famous by the song "Chinese Rocks" that he co-authored with Richard Hell (another legendary punk bass player). Dee Dee died in 2002 of a heroin overdose.

Brian Krashpad
September 18th, 2008, 08:03 AM
I'm glad I got a chance to see them back in the day.

Do you still have birthdays when you're dead?

RIP Dee Dee.

R_of_G
September 18th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I'm glad I got a chance to see them back in the day.

Do you still have birthdays when you're dead?

RIP Dee Dee.

Same here, though I saw them in 1987 which was not quite "back in the day". Dee Dee was still in the band though at the time so that was cool.

:rotflmao: I don't think you still have birthdays when you pass, though it's easier to phrase it that way than it is to say "Happy Anniversary of the Birth of Dee Dee Ramone." Dead or alive, I always use the birth dates of my idols to celebrate their work. The dates of their deaths often as well. I will be listening to a lot of Ramones and a lot of Jimi today.

warren0728
September 18th, 2008, 01:18 PM
another one who left this earth too soon.... :pancake:

ww

R_of_G
September 18th, 2008, 01:25 PM
another one who left this earth too soon.... :pancake:

ww

Indeed Warren, indeed. Unfortunately, it's true of three of the four founders of the band. :(

warren0728
September 18th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Indeed Warren, indeed. Unfortunately, it's true of three of the four founders of the band. :(
yep....a friend of mine played at cbgb's (and elsewhere) a lot with the ramones, richard hell, etc. and the stories he tells about those days are just crazy.... :messedup:

i'm surprised any of them made it out alive....

ww

Brian Krashpad
September 18th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Same here, though I saw them in 1987 which was not quite "back in the day". Dee Dee was still in the band though at the time so that was cool.

Oh I didn't mean to imply like '70's CBGB's or anything. Sometime post-'83 but I'm not sure exactly when. Definitely still in the Dee Dee era.

sunvalleylaw
September 18th, 2008, 02:17 PM
G7FdJajqxmU