PDA

View Full Version : Could you play a good one for a departed friend..?

poodlesrule
September 18th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I am part of a cancer survivor dragonboat team, and we just learned that our drummer (drumbeat = paddle strokes) took ill and passed on.

So, in the next few days, at home in your music den, on stage, or at a house of worship, play a good tune and give it that extra grit, in memory of that kind soul we loved...

Thanks.

warren0728
September 18th, 2008, 01:16 PM
consider it done....i lost my best friend (we considered each other brothers) to cancer a few years ago....i feel your pain....will play for him tonight and am sending some mojo your way....

ww

Brian Krashpad
September 18th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Probably won't have a chance to do something fitting soon since I'm a "band guy" and my bands are far too idle at this point.

Prayers made and mojo sent though.

Consider writing a song for him! I lost the drummer of one of my earliest bands a year or so ago, in a plane crash. I sat in my office (surrounded by guitars) the afternoon of the memorial when it hit, and I had a tough time stopping the tears, so I knew I was incapable of getting any work done. This came out in less than an hour:

Stevo

Farewell old friend
I wish I'd got to say goodbye
This ain't the end
I'll see you in the by-and-by

Chorus:
I'll hear your drum beats pounding
Like a thousand beating hearts
As your cymbals crash like thunder
and that's just for a start
We'll crank the amplifiers
and begin another song
We'll rock until the daylight
We'll be young and free and strong

Good-bye my man
I'll see you on the other side
I know I can
Make it there if I only try

CHORUS

Be free my friend,
I hope things haven't been too rough
I know I tend
To never want to say enough

CHORUS

bigoldron
September 18th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Will try to get it done, Poodle! In fact, I'm leaving in a few to go to Cancer Society dinner. From what I've been told, it's an appreciation dinner for the team captains from the Relay for Life. Our small town (population 3,400) raised almost $60,000 at this year's Relay. Our neighbor down the road (Bainbridge, GA - population 25,000) only raised about $6,000 more than we did.

I'm not bragging, because cancer is too serious to brag about. Mostly, I'm just proud and thankful that we were able to raise that much to help find a cure for this nastiness. I lost my father to cancer a little over 3 years ago and I really don't want to go through that again with anybody.

My prayers go out to you. If I get home in time tonight, I'll try to work in a song (or two) for your friend.