PDA

View Full Version : Recording Tips

tunghaichuan
September 18th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I'm going to try to gets some clips of my amps up in the near future.

But I need some tips on getting good guitar sounds recorded.

Here's what I have to work with:

Small Behringer mixer/mic pre

Sure SM-58 mic

EV mic (no model # on it)

mic stand w/boom

Behringer UCA202 A/D converter with USB out

Behringer GI100 DI box/cab simulator

Audacity & Reaper DAW.

Here's how I usually hook things up:

speaker cab > mic > mic pre > A/D converter > USB into computer (bypasses sound card) > Audacity

I've gotten mixed results in the past.

Any tips on miking and/or setup to get the best sound?

tung

Robert
September 18th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Sounds like you know this stuff pretty good already. My tips would be - experiment! Record a simple thing in a variety of ways, and make notes for each recording. Then pick the technique you used where it sounds the best!

Spudman
September 18th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Put on your headphones and move the mic around to find the best sound before recording and do what Robert says about making notes so that you can recreate whatever works with ease.

sumitomo
September 18th, 2008, 02:12 PM
What is a Audacity and a Reaper DAW?Sumi:D

tunghaichuan
September 18th, 2008, 02:47 PM
What is a Audacity and a Reaper DAW?Sumi:D

They are computer-based recording programs. DAW = digital audio workstation, i.e, computer based.

Free:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Free to try, $50 to buy for personal use:

http://www.reaper.fm/

tung

tunghaichuan
September 18th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Robert and Spudman,

Thanks for the advice. I don't have problems getting a good strong signal onto my PC, it's just that live it sounds great, but sounds crappy when recorded. I think my mic placement technique could use some work.

tung

aeolian
September 18th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the advice. I don't have problems getting a good strong signal onto my PC, it's just that live it sounds great, but sounds crappy when recorded. I think my mic placement technique could use some work.

I've done some number of hours of home recording directly out of an amplifier-simulator (a J-Station to be specific), but the one time I tried recording a live amp I could not get a sound close to what I hear out of the amp either. I need to play with mic placement, perhaps the acoustic of the room that I record in, etc., to see whether I can get better results another time.

Since you have multiple mics, you may even try miking up with more than one mic. I've heard of people getting good result doing it that way. Still mic placements will come into play.