PDA

View Full Version : Howzit

t_ross33
June 3rd, 2006, 10:16 PM
Howdy git-wranglers. My name is Trevor Ross and I live in Humboldt, SK Canada. I've been playing guitar since I was 11 or 12, though concentrated on bass for the first few years. Played with friends, family and a couple of local bands, then moved away to college, got a job, married, kids etc. etc.

So 20 years later a fell in with 3 other guys in the same boat as me. Wanting to play music after ALL these years, but without the pressure of wanting to be famous, get a record contract etc. So we started up a little band, and you know what? we're actually pretty good. I'm playing lead(ish) guitar for the first time ever, so I'm trying to glean as much info as I can (when I can).

Currently have a Peavey Generation EXP tele-style guitar. Cheapie, but has decent tone. Looking for something else to add though. Something different than the usual LP/Strat/Tele axe. Any suggestions? I also have an old Yammy FG-160E that my Dad gigged with lots back in the day. Lotsa dings and lumber missing on the soundboard. Nicknamed "Trigger" after Willie Nelson's guitar. Digitech RP-80 multi-effects pedal and a Vox AD30DT give me tons of tones and effects to play with. Playing country and rock (crock :rolleyes: ), lots of 80's and standards, and having the time of my life.

Looking forward to chatting with everyone here.

KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD!

Trev

Spudman
June 3rd, 2006, 11:02 PM
Welcome T ross. Hang around and we'll see if we can't get you talked into buying the most expensive non LP/Strat/Tele axe possible. :R

Sounds like you'll have a good time on the Fret. Glad you were able to find some guys to play with. That's a good thing.
There is a lot of information here in some of the older posts so look around and let us know if there is anything we can help you with. Just don't ask Warren over to make pancakes. (it's an inside joke):)

Enjoy.

Iago
June 3rd, 2006, 11:07 PM
Hey, be welcome Trevor!!!!

something different than LP/strat/tele...humm maybe a hollowbody? what do u think?

or go and get an Ibanez with Floyd Rose heheheheh

t_ross33
June 3rd, 2006, 11:29 PM
Yeah, hollowbody might be cool :cool: Epi 335 or something like that. Gretsch has some cool stuff - Brian Setzer's green monster for instance. Real rockabilly.

Not much of a shredder - more of a chunker/twanger :D - so the whole Ibanez/Floyd Rose trip may be a bit of a stretch :p

Thanks for the warm welcome. Hope to hang around long enough to get the "pancake" joke :D

T

SuperSwede
June 4th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Hey T-man, welcome to the fret net..

Sounds like you need to take a look at the epiphone -kat series.

Tim
June 4th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Hello T Ross - You have come to the right place. As mentioned, there is a lot of information and some very knowledgeable folks here also.

Robert
June 4th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Welcome Trev, glad to see another Canadian here! So far, I think its 6Strings9Lives, you and me (I hope I didn't forget anyone) from the north.

I think I've been to Humboldt. I'm in Camrose, Alberta.

Rock on, and come and gig in Camrose!

Spudman
June 4th, 2006, 08:37 AM
You forgot Myles the birthday boy. He's Canadian too.

Katastrophe
June 4th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Welcome! Enjoy the forum... We have a lot of fun here, and learn something along the way.:DR :R

duhvoodooman
June 4th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Hi & welcome, Trevor. You'll like it here, I'm certain!

If a reasonably priced hollowbody is an appealing idea, check out the Ibanez Artcore series. There's a whole thread on them HERE (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=823)....

Bloozcat
June 4th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Ah, another member from "The Great White North"...

Welcome Trevor! I hope you find the forum to your liking.

M29
June 7th, 2006, 05:31 AM
Welcome t_ross33 you are gunna like it here!

I love the 335 style guitars, hope to get one one day. The Gibsons are aweful pricey but I have been eyeing the new Vegas semi hollow body, just wish they did not cost so much.

Pancakes........I still haven't got that one figured out. Oh watch out for the bad monkeys around here, they are everywhere..........

M29

oldguy
June 11th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Welcome, Trevor! How about one of those new Epiphones that look like a travel trailer?:D :D

t_ross33
June 11th, 2006, 06:01 PM
:p somehow I think the novelty would wear off pretty quick :)

After reading some of the posts here and seeing/hearing some fine sounding guitars (and guitarists), I might have a second look at a Squier or MIM Tele. The 51 intrigues me, haven't seen anyone with one in these parts so it might have the "uniqueness" I'm looking for.

I'll keep everyone posted... the GAS saga is to be continued :R