PDA

View Full Version : Guitar sound/character evolving with age..?

poodlesrule
September 19th, 2008, 07:09 PM
As a guitar ages, say, from new, have you been able to sense a slight tone change, over the years the instrument has been played?

Does it always improve...?

What do you think had most impact: wood fibers, varnish aging, playing frequency, other factor?

Katastrophe
September 20th, 2008, 05:59 AM
I dunno, I have some guitars that are getting older, and they sound the same to me when I play them.

I think that guitars can sound better as they age, but that it's more a function of the player becoming more comfortable with his / her instrument over time.

just strum
September 20th, 2008, 06:06 AM
It certainly applies to acoustics with solid bodies. I don't know about electrics and the way people mod their guitars and the switching of amps, how would you tell?

street music
September 20th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Strum you are correct, the more time and conditions around the solid top guitar allows the wood to develope a very pure sound if well cared for. I have found this with guitars that have had just a couple years after being removed from the box. I think they age like fine wine.

wingsdad
September 20th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Ditto with Strum & Kat on properly cared for solid-wood top acoustics. More so with a thinner nitrocell lacquer finished or satin-finished top than with a heavier polyurethane finish. Laminated wood tops, since they're essentially plywood, don't/can't vibrate as freely and are fairly impermeable and unaffected by climate like solid-tops, will remain pretty constant as the wood can't 'open up', regardless of how they're finished.

As for electrics, body woods won't change things - unless you strip the lacquer or poly finish off. But pots & caps will crap out and pickups on a guitar that 'racks up high mileage' may eventually degrade and lose fidelity in the long run, and some might even die. A degrading capacitor or pot will make you think your pickup is dying. If you change the cap and/or pot and the sound still sucks, then kiss the pickup goodbye.

Spudman
September 20th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Does it always improve...?

Sure. I have noticed it in my electrics. My gigging guitars I leave out of their cases and on stands or hanging in the same room as my home stereo. I believe that years of playing them along with constant audio bombardment from other sound sources have made a difference in their tone.

piebaldpython
September 21st, 2008, 07:59 PM
RESOS most assuredly improve with age. It takes the cones time to "open" up. Much in the same fashion as speakers in an amp improve after so many hours of use. The tonal characteristics of the cones improve with use.