PDA

View Full Version : I absolutely Stole a guitar today

ZMAN
September 20th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I found a Gibson Les Paul Standard on a local "Craiglist" style of online marketplace. I had to drive about 50 miles but it was worth the drive.
It was a 1996 Standard. It was listed as tobacco burst but it is actually Vintage sunburst. It came with a Gibson case and the guitar is flawless. It is over 12 years old and there isn't a mark on it. It was set up by the best Luthier in that city and it plays like a dream. It even came with a set of straplocks and a strap.
The guy wanted money for a Bass amp and really was desperate. I had cash in hand and I gave him an offer over 300 under his asking price that was almost 300 under the market value. AND HE TOOK IT. I had the rest of the money in my wallet just in case.
Pics? Of course!
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P9200084.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P9200083.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P9200085.jpg

just strum
September 20th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I'm stopping at your house next week when I am up there.

Very nice.

Spudman
September 20th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I hope you checked the serial number before you bought it because of all the recalls on the 96 Les Pauls. You did check first didn't you?

Ha. Got ya. Congratulations. It's a beauty.

just strum
September 20th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I hope you checked the serial number before you bought it because of all the recalls on the 96 Les Pauls. You did check first didn't you?

Ha. Got ya. Congratulations. It's a beauty.

I thought that was the ART300's that are all being recalled. Something about lead being used to get that textured surface.

ZMAN
September 20th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Any time JS: Just call ahead so I can put Cujo my rotwieller/Great Dane cross in his enclosure.
And Spudman I did check the list and this one wasn't on it.
I can't believe I found a Standard with no flame on it. I am a very happy camper.
I kind of felt bad for the guy I bought it from. Right! for about 30 seconds.
My wife had the car running and we were outa there!

just strum
September 20th, 2008, 03:34 PM
My wife had the car running and we were outa there!

Sort of like Bonnie and Clyde go guitar shopping, but instead of killing someone, you just made a killing.

ShootTheGlass
September 20th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Did it burn your fingers when you touched it?

Haha only kidding. Looks gorgeous, and im not normally one for Les Pauls.

ZMAN
September 20th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Thanks guys I have been looking for a plain top for a while. I was looking at new guitars and none of them other than the classic were even close.
I guess it had been listed since the 7th of September and I was only the second person to call. When I found out what he would take bottom line I still went 200 under that and he took it. It is amazing what a stack of 100s and 50s will do to a persons brain. I think as soon as I left he was off to the Music store to buy a Bass Amp. He seemed happy with the deal and I was ecstatic.
I played the hell out of it today and it has a lovely neck. And is set up perfectly.

sunvalleylaw
September 20th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Congrats!!! That is a great find! Some day I will make a find like that on a D-28 or the like, if I am lucky enough. Great to hear tales like that.

warren0728
September 20th, 2008, 04:51 PM
that is gorgeous....i love a nice plain top too!! :drool: :drool: :drool:

ww

ET335
September 20th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Very nice ZMAN....Great deal to:drool:

ZMAN
September 20th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I know that would not be a big deal to a lot of the guys in the US. You rarely see them going for under 2000 up here in Canada. When you see them in this condition with the original brown Gibson case they are well over the 2000 dollar mark. Also you rarely see them for sale anywhere other than music shops. I feel very lucky.

Spudman
September 20th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I feel very lucky.

Lucky like me because you really needed a guitar because you don't have any? I can totally understand.:D :rotflmao: ;)

ZMAN
September 20th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Spudman you are really starting to sound like my wife!
It was hard to convince her that It wasn't the same guitar, as the Studio in fireburst, and the two or three Strats I have in vintage 2 and 3 tone burst.
She is getting at little pissed that her sewing/quilting room has become an extension of my guitar room's storage.

Spudman
September 20th, 2008, 09:05 PM
She is getting at little pissed that her sewing/quilting room has become an extension of my guitar room's storage.

Well she'd better get over that then eh?:cool:

luvmyshiner
September 21st, 2008, 03:22 PM
Very nice Zman. Congrats.:bravo:

Guitar Gal
September 23rd, 2008, 03:45 PM
Nice find Zman :beer:

GG

ZMAN
September 23rd, 2008, 06:13 PM
Thanks guys I was playing her again tonight and it plays like a dream. Great action. I always wanted a Cherry burst Standard but this one is really growing on me. The neck is really nice not as thick as the 50s neck and not a slim taper. It just feels right. I cleaned her up yesterday and it is flawless. I can't believe it stayed this pristine and is 12 years old.
Some times you just get lucky.

sunvalleylaw
September 23rd, 2008, 08:14 PM
FWIW, I prefer the color you have. Very classic. Congrats again!

Brian Krashpad
September 29th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Wow! Gorgeous. Great score, whatever the final number was.

Aw, c'mon, you can tell us. ;)

tot_Ou_tard
September 29th, 2008, 11:55 AM
What's a Les Paul? :D

Kazz
September 29th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Seriously...hope its not like the J50 I almost bought last summer....had paid cash for it a local pawnshop took it in to get it set up and a very well respected person at the shop informed me it was not a real gibson but a fake.....beeline back to the pawnshop to get my money back.....those logos swap really easily these days.

Andy
September 30th, 2008, 09:23 AM
les paul stds in the mid 90's era go for around 1400-1600 in this area ,

that includes vintage burst flamey tops. so if you got a pretty burst in the 1500 range that would be a fair price ,, a steal would be close to the 1200 or lower range.
yours sounds like a beauty !

here's some local samplings from the local craigslist as of this morning

http://nashville.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=les+paul+standard&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

* sorry I just realised your in canada , I'm sure that the going prices may be higher due to availability.

fensonpaulcaster
October 20th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Gorgeous guitar man, congrats lol

The gods of rock applaud you lol

:master:

:rockon: rock on bra