PDA

View Full Version : Schaller strap lock owners

ShortBuSX
September 22nd, 2008, 11:15 AM
Ive purchased several sets of the Schaller type strap locks over the last couple of years, so many so that Ive got bout 3 sets of the strap side...but a friend just informed me that MusiciansFriend (http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Standard-Strap-Buttons-2?sku=420530) sells the buttons for $6 a pair...I bought 3 sets, they arrived today and look like theyre gonna work out nicely:bravo:
This might not be of any news to you, but I was unaware of any place that sold the buttons separately...so I thought Id pass this along.

I was looking for a pic of the Schaller type strap locks and also found Stewart Mac (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware,_parts/Electric_guitar:_Strap_buttons/2/Schaller_Strap_Security_Locks.html) carries them individually for a lil less.

Schaller type, if you didnt know:
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/8/5/6/464856.jpg

Plank_Spanker
September 22nd, 2008, 12:18 PM
Good info, ShortBus. I have several extra strap pieces, but no extra buttons.

sunvalleylaw
September 22nd, 2008, 12:19 PM
I have the Dunlop equivalents that I like as well. I guess I will stick with the Dunlop mode now, so I can swap straps, etc. straight across. The Schaller ones look nice too. I would like to find a source for individual parts as well, so I can set up all my guitars and straps the same way, and my son's too.

bigoldron
September 22nd, 2008, 04:21 PM
Ive purchased several sets of the Schaller type strap locks over the last couple of years, so many so that Ive got bout 3 sets of the strap side...but a friend just informed me that MusiciansFriend sells the buttons for $6 a pair...I bought 3 sets, they arrived today and look like theyre gonna work out nicely:bravo:

I have the Dunlop equivalents that I like as well. I guess I will stick with the Dunlop mode now, so I can swap straps, etc. straight across.

I recently bought the Dunlops for my 2 main guitars and they seem to work OK, but they're kinda gawdy looking. I've never had the Schallers and didn't know how well they'd work, but had read on some of the forums that they had issues with the button threads backing out and coming undone.

The Schallers (from the pictures I've seen) don't seem to be overly prominent as the Dunlops, but again I'm only looking at a picture. You guys seem to know your way around with them. So, which one should I have gone with? :confused:

just strum
September 22nd, 2008, 04:27 PM
Nice find. I have one strap and two guitars with Schaller that have the buttons, but a couple more I would like to add - good money saver.

I would like to use Schaller on my Dot, but with the button on the heel, you need to twist the strap if I use the same strap.

sunvalleylaw
September 22nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
I've seen both in the stores and they seem about the same in size and prominence. The ability to get extra parts rather than having to buy entire sets every time like this Schaller source is nice though.

ZMAN
September 22nd, 2008, 05:03 PM
The ones on MF are Fender style. Do they have the same attaching screw?
The ones from Stew Mac are Schaller and are pretty good price wise.
1.50 and 21 cents for the screw.
I just tried to order some and it looks as if the buttons are back ordered until next month at Stew Mac

stingx
September 22nd, 2008, 06:07 PM
I have the Dunlop equivalents that I like as well. I guess I will stick with the Dunlop mode now, so I can swap straps, etc. straight across. The Schaller ones look nice too. I would like to find a source for individual parts as well, so I can set up all my guitars and straps the same way, and my son's too.

I prefer the Dunlops too. I took the factory Shallers off the JV and replaced them with Dunlops. I have a ton of straps all outfitted for them so it made sense. I guess if all the straps had Shallers then I'd be buying the buttons in bulk.

just strum
September 22nd, 2008, 06:20 PM
I prefer the Dunlops too. I took the factory Shallers off the JV and replaced them with Dunlops. I have a ton of straps all outfitted for them so it made sense. I guess if all the straps had Shallers then I'd be buying the buttons in bulk.

I have one set of Dunlops and they are the first locks I purchased. What I like about Schaller's is if the locking button fails, you still have gravity holding it in the U shaped cup. However, I've had no problem with Dunlop, either is a good buy.

Gil Janus
September 22nd, 2008, 08:25 PM
I tried the Shallers when I got my first electric, my Squier '51, but the Shallers didn't go on the the strap I had at the time - it was a Fender Deluxe Wide Leather Strap - it has very thick ends and I couldn't get the Shallers onto the strap - the barrel is just a little too short and the nut just wouldn't grab. :thwap: So I switched to the Dunlops - they work fine no matter how thick the strap end.

I've gotten another strap from Eyeland Enterprises, and it too is too thick for the Shallers, so I now have 4 straps equipped with Dunlops and 3 guitars. So, I can get another guitar without buying another Dunlop strap lock :bravo:

And yes, the strap button is a little taller, but doesn't look out of place. And you can still use a new strap on the guitar - I have a nice Fender web strap that I like a lot and it fits fine. :dude:

Gil :cool:

PS I now have 1 1/2 sets of Shallers - 1 set I bought and the VGStrat came with them on the guitar but came without the strap lock itself :confused:

stingx
September 23rd, 2008, 05:44 AM
What about the good old rubber washers from beer bottles? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

http://epihistory.googlepages.com/sm-dsc_1648.jpg

ShortBuSX
September 23rd, 2008, 12:20 PM
Good info, ShortBus. I have several extra strap pieces, but no extra buttons.

Nice find. I have one strap and two guitars with Schaller that have the buttons, but a couple more I would like to add - good money saver.

Cool, I was a lil worried Id made a newb-ish post...I know I found this to be a cost saver as Ive got 3 guitars that needed buttons and Id been delaying the $60 expense I thought was involved...Ive got plenty of straps, plenty of strap sided locks...just not enough buttons...so for the price of one set of locks, I outfitted my 3 newest additions, which were long over due...and each of them has been saved from a dive on more than one occasion.

I dont know anything about Dunlops as all Ive ever bought were the Schaller type. I like the Schaller type because they seem to be the most widely used, even installed on most USA Fenders. Ive turned 3 of my friends onto em, one who didnt even know his Big Apple Strat came with the buttons already...but its nice being able to use your own strap, set to your own height and weight already, and just clip in.

I would like to use Schaller on my Dot, but with the button on the heel, you need to twist the strap if I use the same strap.

Ive got a buddy who has an SG thats just like that, I thought Id have issue with it as well, but it doesnt ever dig or push on your belly or ribs like youd think, and the strap has the same twist that your current strap position has.

I've never had the Schallers and didn't know how well they'd work, but had read on some of the forums that they had issues with the button threads backing out and coming undone.

The leather will give after about a month and then youll have to snug the bolt again...if it happens again I use a lil drop of Locktite on the threads.

I tried the Shallers when I got my first electric, my Squier '51, but the Shallers didn't go on the the strap I had at the time - it was a Fender Deluxe Wide Leather Strap - it has very thick ends and I couldn't get the Shallers onto the strap - the barrel is just a little too short and the nut just wouldn't grab. So I switched to the Dunlops - they work fine no matter how thick the strap end.

I noticed last night one of my sets(the lock on the strap side) had 2 nuts on each as opposed to the normal just one Id been getting, call it a hunch but Im thinking it was taller and made for straps like yours.
...but I also used the second nut to lock the other one on so it wouldnt back out like the previous quoted issue.

And BTW, the screws were included with these buttons, and they were a nicer courser thread pitch than the ones that come with the Schallers, but I still and always have had to fill the original screw hole with a wooden skewer and wood glue before driving in the newer screws...but they always feel even more secure after doing so, so its worth it to me.

kiteman
October 9th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I have schallers on both of my guitars and I drilled the buttons for bigger screws. They're not going anywhere there. :)

araT
November 21st, 2008, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the links! I didn't know you could get the buttons seperately, I've found an Australian store that carries them (guitarparts.com.au for those interested, AUD$6 a pair) and ordered 3 sets!

I've bought 4 sets in the past, and use them on all my main players, but I've got some new acquisitions since that will be needing buttons, and I figured a spare set wont hurt

I've tried the Dunlop Loks, and they seem to work, but I'm not a fan..

the VGStrat came with them on the guitar but came without the strap lock itself :confused:

FYI; My Rickenbacker 360/12 also came fitted with Schaller Strap Lock buttons, but not the strap-ends.. that doesn't bother me as I've only got 3 straps I use on a regular basis and theres a spare pair in my parts box.