PDA

View Full Version : Peavey Nano Valve

Mr Grumpy
September 22nd, 2008, 01:48 PM
Im still GASing for a teeny tube amp and have encountered a couple of UK sites selling the Peavey Nano valve at a great price (£59 on one). Has anyone ever tried one? read a few good reviews but might take a chance and buy blind.

Mr Grumpy
September 26th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I took the plunge - ordered one from an online site (not evilbay - issue with silly postage costs) for £65. When I finally get hold of it next week (delivery issues as we are out all day, got to get it at the post office now...) I can test it for a short period then it will be taken away for redelivery by Santa at Christmas.

Algonquin
September 26th, 2008, 01:16 PM
then it will be taken away for redelivery by Santa at Christmas.
Likely be the longest three months of your life...
Better be good in the mean time!

Mr Grumpy
October 3rd, 2008, 01:32 PM
Well, it arrived and I had a couple of hours with it before the elves took it away.......

First impressions having never had an all tube amp. 5W is LOUD - louder than my AD30. Works better with the level all the way up and the guitar volume used to control the drive. A bit boxy, probably due to its miniscule size and maybe the stock speaker being new and a bit tight. I might get a 1 x 12 cab and do a mod on both this and the AD30 to get a speaker out jack and put a decent speaker in it. Then I can have either amp with a speaker upgrade.

It gets nice and warm and has cool orange glows in the back. And the kids told me to turn it down so it must be good!! :dude:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/noddyman/DSC00045.jpg?t=1223062156

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/noddyman/DSC00046.jpg?t=1223062188

Sorry about the phone camera pics

Roll on Christmas

warren0728
October 3rd, 2008, 03:09 PM
is it relatively quiet? i have a valve jr. version 1 which is pretty noisy....

ww

Mr Grumpy
October 4th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Its a bit hissy when wound up all the way - but I was using it close to some electrical equipment and it certainly cant be heard when its played through!!

Seems very well built too.

tot_Ou_tard
October 4th, 2008, 06:34 AM
This has an El84 & a 8" speaker does it not?

I have an AD30VT & a Fender Champion 600 with a 6V6 & a 6" speaker.

Here's is what I've been doing & getting excellent results with it.

I play them both at the same time using a Barber Paunch Pad to split the signal & adjust the relative levels.

Of course, this might not work for you as the Peavey sounds like it is louder than the Champion.

I've had the job as Santa's tester & have had to suffer the pain as his elves take back the item & squirrel it away until the big day.

It hurts, but it is worth it. Otherwise you'll end up with one of Esteban's guitars.

tunghaichuan
October 4th, 2008, 07:50 AM
This has an El84 & a 8" speaker does it not?

I don't know about the speaker, but it does have one EL84 and one 12AX7. I dug out a schematic and it looks to be fairly well engineered. One thing that jumped out at me was the 150 ohm cathode bias resistor on the EL84. 150 ohms seems kind of low to me. If I were to buy one of these, I would check the bias to make sure that the tube is not over dissipating.

tung