PDA

View Full Version : NBTD! (New Bobbin Toppers Day!)

Brian Krashpad
September 23rd, 2008, 06:51 AM
So anyhow I always thought that the black-bobbined open-coil humbuckers on my Les Paul Classic looked a little plain. Since the honeyburst comes with creme binding, creme pickup rings, and creme pickguard, I figured a creme/black zebra pickup would look cool.

Only problem: as you all know, I'm a notoriously cheap bastard. I'd already replaced a dead bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan Custom V, and that alone could totally besmirch my cheap bastard cred for decades. So I wasn't about to change pickups just to have zebras instead of black.

The answer of course, is Bobbin Toppers, a little vinyl press-on cover that can make your pickup look any color you want. So I went to universaljems.com, here's the subpage for Bobbin Toppers:

http://www.universaljems.com/cart/bobbin.htm

Brian over there hooked me up with a couple of creme toppers, they're like $2 apiece, so all told with shipping my order was a whopping $6 or so. They came in a matter of days. They're a little tricky to get on, but once you've got 'em the way you want, from a foot away you'd never know your pickup wasn't the real deal.

Anyhow, for the before and after makeover shots! Here's Cassie before:

http://www.guitargearheads.com/modules/xcgal/albums/userpics/13434/CassieCloseupForWeb800Wide.JPG

And here she is after:

http://www.guitargearheads.com/modules/xcgal/albums/userpics/13434/zebra1closeupForWeb800Wide.JPG

warren0728
September 23rd, 2008, 07:03 AM
that's pretty cool brian! i really like the look too.... :beer: :bravo: :pancake:

ww

duhvoodooman
September 23rd, 2008, 07:45 AM
Dude, I think the fact that you own a genuine Gibson Les Paul Classic pretty much eliminates you from "cheap bastard" consideration.... ;)

Those covers look pretty darned good! :AOK:

Brian Krashpad
September 23rd, 2008, 07:53 AM
Thanks, it's a perfect solution on the cheap, and it's not permanent.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/zebra1.jpg

Brian Krashpad
September 23rd, 2008, 07:55 AM
Dude, I think the fact that you own a genuine Gibson Les Paul Classic pretty much eliminates you from "cheap bastard" consideration.... ;)

Well, I only paid $750 for it. Which is a lot of money for a cheap bastard to pay (I sold off some guitars), but is actually a really good deal on a Les Paul Classic w/ohsc.

Spudman
September 23rd, 2008, 08:00 AM
Thanks, it's a perfect solution on the cheap, and it's not permanent.

Cool. False eyelashes and Lee Press On Nails for your guitar.:D

Brian Krashpad
September 23rd, 2008, 09:01 AM
Cool. False eyelashes and Lee Press On Nails for your guitar.:D

Haha, that's a good metaphor. And some folks just don't look as nice without their nails and eyelashes. ;)

duhvoodooman
September 23rd, 2008, 09:06 AM
Haha, that's a good metaphor. And some folks just don't look as nice without their nails and eyelashes. ;)
Geez, I'm happy just to still have most of my hair & teeth! :eek: ;)

M29
September 23rd, 2008, 09:15 AM
That looks Schweet BK:AOK: What an awesome guitar:rockon:

M29

sunvalleylaw
September 23rd, 2008, 10:08 AM
I love zebra pups. That looks great! Sounds like you ended up with a great "keeper" guitar fairly inexpensively. That is very cool.

ShortBuSX
September 23rd, 2008, 12:32 PM
The answer of course, is Bobbin Toppers

Sounds like a salad topping from the 70's...or the latest in high-tech sewing machine gadgetry.:thwap:

Plank_Spanker
September 23rd, 2008, 12:46 PM
Looks great, Brian. :AOK:

Plank_Spanker
September 23rd, 2008, 12:47 PM
Sounds like a salad topping from the 70's...or the latest in high-tech sewing machine gadgetry.:thwap:

LOL! :D

ShortBuSX
September 23rd, 2008, 12:53 PM
...or a cute headdress for unattractive girlfriends:

Now she looks like Carmine Electra! ...thanks "Bobbin Toppers"!:AOK:

Spudman
September 23rd, 2008, 01:26 PM

I thought I met a girl that danced around a pole that had those Bobbin Toppers.:confused: ;)

M29
September 23rd, 2008, 01:29 PM
Hey Spud I know her

Spudman
September 23rd, 2008, 01:54 PM
Hey Spud I know her

Interesting...everyone says that.;) :D

M29
September 23rd, 2008, 04:11 PM
Yeah...I got hit in the eye with one of them things

Spudman
September 23rd, 2008, 04:16 PM
Yeah...I got hit in the eye with one of them things
Bobbin Toppers in the eyes. Ouch!
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Junk/manson.jpg

bigoldron
September 23rd, 2008, 04:29 PM
Only problem: as you all know, I'm a notoriously cheap bastard. I'd already replaced a dead bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan Custom V, and that alone could totally besmirch my cheap bastard cred for decades. So I wasn't about to change pickups just to have zebras instead of black.

I'll attest to it, Brian is a cheapskate, but hey, so am I. With the economy as screwed up as it is, there's nothing wrong with saving a buck or two when you can. The Bobbin Toppers look really cool, dude! :AOK:

Hey Spud, I thought getting your Bobbin Topped was something you had done, not the dancer's name... :whatever:

sunvalleylaw
September 23rd, 2008, 04:35 PM
Hey Spud I know her

Interesting...everyone says that.;) :D

Stevie Nicks? ;)