PDA

View Full Version : London

thearabianmage
September 23rd, 2008, 10:22 AM
Hey y'all,

Long time, no type, eh? I moved to London two weeks ago yesterday, and it is nuts. I've been lost in Soho - twice - and saw my first 6 foot black transvestite. Funny times. I also saw a very dangerously anorexic woman, and that made me feel sad. But then, you wonder why she's anorexic - being in Soho, it probably has something to do with some sort of addiction, which brings up several moral dichotomies.

On a better note, I also went to the Museum of Natural History and saw some dinosaur bones and the skeleton of a pigmy chimp. Sweet.

Life in the big city is definitely interesting. I've met a few interesting people here - like the ex-guitarist from a band called Akercocke, or the first guy in Britain to have gotten arrested for wearing a certain Cradle of Filth t-shirt. Then there's just the random people you meet. And I mean random.

Living on my own is also a pretty new experience. It's been alright, but the people I live with are. . . well. . . And the credit crunch really bites, too. It's almost acceptable not to be able to find a job in Cheddar, but London!?

Anyways, on to guitar. I've finally splashed out on a few analogue pedals and have been messing around with them - the Digitech Bad Monkey, Boss BF-3, and a Behringer EQ (I know, Behringer has a bad name. . . but £25! As opposed to the Boss GE-7 at £65) so that brings my pedal-count up to a whopping 5, and when combined with the PodXT Pro, some killer sounds can be achieved. I have also checked out a few Fenders, including a nice MiM. Only problem? Rosewood fretboard. Bugger. Still on the hunt. . .

So, over-all, a pointless thread, but I guess it could have been worse. Just wanted to let everyone know that I haven't been mugged by a crackhead (yet)

Cheers,

Joe

Robert
September 23rd, 2008, 10:27 AM
I'd love to go to London one day. In fact, I might go there to run the marathon!

Tone2TheBone
September 23rd, 2008, 10:31 AM
We're talking about going there to visit friends and other friends from England after my oldest daughter graduates from High School. It would sorta be her "senior trip". We'd stay with friends on the south coast and then stay with other friends further north. London would be very interesting to say the least.

thearabianmage
September 23rd, 2008, 10:49 AM
If any of y'all need some digs for a couple nights or whatever, just hit me up. London prices are killer - trust.

sunvalleylaw
September 23rd, 2008, 10:52 AM
I would love to visit London. Glad you got settled into your digs and got some new pedals. How do you like the Bad Monkey so far? What does the Boss BF-3 do?

Tibernius
September 23rd, 2008, 11:32 AM
I would love to visit London. Glad you got settled into your digs and got some new pedals. How do you like the Bad Monkey so far? What does the Boss BF-3 do?

The BF-3 is a Flanger isn't it?

warren0728
September 23rd, 2008, 01:25 PM
If any of y'all need some digs for a couple nights or whatever, just hit me up. London prices are killer - trust.
sounds like a "thefret" road/boat/plane trip is in order.... :beer:

glad you are settling in....enjoy!!

ww

ted s
September 23rd, 2008, 01:39 PM
Sounds like a crazy busy place 'mage, a guy got arrested for wearing a particular t-shirt ? WTF mate ?

aeolian
September 23rd, 2008, 03:33 PM
Interesting snapshot of life in London. No jobs to be found? I guess a lot of people are 'on the dole' then.

markb
September 24th, 2008, 12:15 AM
I hope to be in London in about 11 hours after big delays on the way (posted from Hong Kong airport).

Jimi75
September 24th, 2008, 04:18 AM
I love London, but I am also always happy when I get back home. My brother has a part time medical practice near Wimbledon so I can sleep over there and visit London once or twice a year. Did I already tell you that I get kicked out of the Hard Rock Café, because I explained to the owner why the SG there can not be Jimi Hendrix's SG? Ahh that's another story.

Londonium is cool. My favourite place is Suffron Walden whcih is not too far away from London ;-)

Maybe next time I'm up in the UK we can meet for a pint :-)

thearabianmage
September 24th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Did I already tell you that I get kicked out of the Hard Rock Café, because I explained to the owner why the SG there can not be Jimi Hendrix's SG? Ahh that's another story.

:rotflmao: About the Jimi SG.

I went to the Hard Rock a few years back and played one of Jimi's left-handed (a proper lefty with Bigsby-style trem) Flying V. On one of Jimi's couches, no less. I have pictures (in Draycott. . .)

Anytime you are here, give me shout. A pint (or JD and coke for me :D ) is always in order! I know a good place in Camden with a load nice ales and good Guinness.

a guy got arrested for wearing a particular t-shirt ? WTF mate ?

Well. . . It was a t-shirt exclaiming, in large friendly letters, 'Jesus is a ####' - a word that rhymes with shunt. This doesn't happen any more, especially since CoF have put out worse t-shirts since, but it was rather historic at the time.

How do you like the Bad Monkey so far? What does the Boss BF-3 do?

The Bad Monkey is pretty nice - a very low gain OD pedal (which is good for me as I always put too much gain on my settings.) It works well with the DOD Death Metal pedal (though not simultaneously) because that is very high-gain. Nice contrast. I now want to get a Boss DS-2 and/or OD-3 for the in-between sounds. And yeah, the BF-3 is a flanger, and a pretty decent one at that. I was able to bag a second-hand one for £35 as opposed to £75 new (internet price). Lucky.

Anyways, thanks everyone for the comments. Ye ole Londinium is definitely a crazy town. Definitely. And now that I'm here, that's not likely to change anytime soon :D

Later

:dude: :beer:

stingx
September 24th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I love London. Had the chance to work for a few years out of the London office. Wifey was keen on the idea so I got vetoed. I enjoy my trips there and look forward to them very much.

Bloozcat
September 29th, 2008, 11:10 AM
London is a definite must visit city.

We've been there three times now, and we always enjoy it. We both love the theatre, so when there, we hop the tube to West End first thing each morning and queue up at the half price ticket both. After we get our tickets, we plan the rest of the day accordingly.

I dragged my wife through the Museum of Natrual History once. Great museum, as long as it's not my wife you're asking. The Cabinet War Rooms is really great too. It's preserved as it was the day WWII ended.

Soho is definitely a trip. Entertaining, interesting, and bizarre all at the same time.