PDA

View Full Version : Good amps?

The_Shredinator21
September 23rd, 2008, 06:59 PM
Our band and i need a new amp. We don't need anything big or expensive since we are just starting out as a garage band, but a nice sized one(about 2 feet high or something that just gives a garage band enough sound so a cabinet amp i think is what its called) at a reasonable price with some good effects. (Since we are high schoolers and only get jobs in the summer... good price for amp now is about $100-$200 maybe not sure)

it wouldnt be a tube amp or anythin probably maybe a hybrid or model, not sure what kinds there really are. We have a good amp for the guitar but we need a amp either for the microphone, or one to replace the electrice guitar amp so we can bump em all down so we can have an amp for the electric piano. (for the guitars we are playin an ion strat copy, and an ibanez{not sure what kind, its pes's} if that information helps)

I'm not sure if i said this clear, pardon my wording.:thwap:

if you know of any please send me a link to the pic of one or a site that has some good ones. Thanks:AOK:

just strum
September 23rd, 2008, 07:06 PM
Tube? When you say "nice size" are you talking about the cabinet or watts? Are you going to use it just for practice and recording or are you going to gig with it.

I am not the one to offer suggestions, but supplying some additional info could generate a more good suggestions.

tunghaichuan
September 23rd, 2008, 07:42 PM
Our band and i need a new amp. We don't need anything big or expensive since we are just starting out as a garage band, but a nice sized one at a reasonable price with some good effects. if you know of any please send me a link to the pic of one or a site that has some good ones. Thanks

A couple more things to consider:

Do you want a combo amp or a head/cab amp? Combo amps have the speaker(s) in the cab with the electronics. A head and a cab are just that: the electronics are in one enclosure and the speakers are in another separate one.

Type of electronic circuit: there are tube, solid state, hybrid (tube and solid state) and modeling.

Tube amps sound better, but are more expensive, the tubes wear out, are very heavy and generate a lot of heat. Tubes are fragile and will break if dropped or mishandled.

Solid state amps don't sound as good as tubes, but they are less expensive, lighter, don't generate heat, and there are no components to replace regularly.

Hybrid designs try to combine the best of both tube and solid state circuits with only limited success, IMHO.

Modeling amps are mostly solid state, but are digital approximations of tube designs for the most part. The technology continues to improve, but it still isn't 100% there yet.

There is also the issue of wattage. You can push a tube amp into distortion and it will sound good. If you push a solid state amp into distortion, it sounds terrible. So the rule of thumb I follow is that you need three times the wattage for a solid state amp. For example if you play a 50 watt tubed Marshall, you would need at least a 150 watt solid state amp to compete with it. This is because you need lots of clean headroom to prevent the solid state's power amp from clipping. Generally, you want a tube amp's power section to clip. When playing a solid state amp, you don't want the power amp to clip.

From an engineering point of view, this view of wattage is wrong, but in terms of real world use, it is a good guideline to follow, again IMHO.

There are lots more factors, so as Strum says we need more info to advise you better.

tung

Algonquin
September 23rd, 2008, 08:01 PM
Look into the Roland Cube or Vox AD** series amps.... they might fit the bill for your garage band needs when just starting out. Not too expensive, and are both very versatile.
zBwq4UXI9VA

yayu2Qq-SPw&feature=related

And then there's this guy... (AKA Swamp Man)
BwmVzKnNYA8&feature=related
:D

Katastrophe
September 23rd, 2008, 09:27 PM
Our band and i need a new amp. We don't need anything big or expensive since we are just starting out as a garage band, but a nice sized one at a reasonable price with some good effects. if you know of any please send me a link to the pic of one or a site that has some good ones. Thanks

What kind of music are you playing? Guitars?

For the money, I would take a look at the Peavey Vypyr, Line 6 Flextone or Vox AD series amphs.

All are modelling amps. The Peavey has two models with tubes, and the Vox is a hybrid amp as well.

A modeler will give you the most versatility for the lowest price, and are gonna generally be more durable than a tube amp. The Vypyr 30 watter that I played on recently sounded very good. The modelers come with built in effects that you can use, so you don't have to spend a ton of money on pedals. You may want to choose a more powerful model for playing live.

Of course, as Tung said, you will be losing the harmonic richness of a good tube rig. There is nothing that beats a tube amp IMO. BUT, they are more expensive, heavier and less durable than their solid state brethren. Tube amps require more maintenance, and tubes do require servicing / replacing.

I currently play on a Crate solid state. The clean tones on this amp are really good. The distortion is geared for straight ahead metal, which is what I needed when I bought it. It has served me well, and I can coax decent tones out of it when needed. It's plenty loud for live playing and cheap to replace. I don't use any other effects other than switching between the three channels. I've had it for 5 years now, and have hauled it all over the place without a worry.

If I had to buy a new amp today for a quick gig, I'd pick the 120 watt Vypyr, just for flexibility and the built in effects.

sunvalleylaw
September 23rd, 2008, 09:37 PM
Or even the Vypyr 60 watter tube model should be decently loud, with or without a PA I bet, and with a PA, a no brainer.

I am getting to know my son's 30, and it has a lot of nice models. I am partial to the Plexi, and the two fender models right now, but there are a lot of higher gain models to get to know, like a XXX, Satriani's JSX, a Rec, and some more. Even has a Classic model covering my 30 and the Classic 50. Oh, and the Brit model is made to be just like Brian May's Vox, down to the shorted out eq knobs. (short is modeled only. ;-)). So those Peavey's may be a good bet. I would wait for the tube driven models to hit the stores and have enough time for QC issues to be worked out.

TS808
September 24th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Good points raised so far...do you want tubes or solid state, and what type of music do you plan on doing?

I concur...I'd highly recommend any of the digital modeling amps. Sure, you'll get a bit more tone out of an all tube amp, but I tend to like the versatility and flexibility of digital modeling. I don't think you can go wrong with a Vox AD series, Peavey Vypyr, or Line 6 Flextone III. The Vox and the Flextone take pedals very well too. Another recommendation would be the Roland Cube 60 or a Tech 21 Trademark.

Best way though to find out what you want is to go and try several different amps. I own a Vox AD50VT 212 and a Flextone III XL, and I'm very pleased with the tones of both.

scgmhawk
September 24th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I have the VOX AD50 212 as well and am extremely satisfied with the tone. I like the fact that I can get a variety of tones from it. At 50 Watts, it's plenty loud, and it was inexpensive. Since it's all I have, I can't really speak to others other than having read about them. Check out Musiciansfriend or one of the other online sites to see what's available in your pricerange.

Good luck with the search.

wingsdad
September 25th, 2008, 06:45 AM
A whole bunch of good suggestions here for you, Shred.

You didn't mention a 'budget figure', a price range you can handle, but I'm assuming based on your guitars (Ion strat copy, broken Washburn), it's probably around $200, give or take a bit.

One budget-concious brand I didn't notice is Behringer. Good bang for the buck, many models are kinda 'reverse-engineered' copies of pricier originals, some good enough to get Behringer sued. (same is true of their fx pedals). Lots of options in that $200-ish range.

I'll just toss this one out as worth a look:

V-Tone GMX212 (http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-BEH-GMX212-LIST)

pes_laul
September 25th, 2008, 08:05 PM
actually aaron I have a couple amps we can probably use.

I have like a 30 watt peavy bandit down at the studio. and if kyle ever decides to give me my amp back we could use that. what we really should look at is some speakers for my little PA system and a bass player.

stingx
September 25th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I would have said a Cube myself being the owner of one but since playing a Vypyr I would recommend one in a heartbeat.