PDA

View Full Version : Another one bites the dust

Glacies
September 24th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Hey fellas. Just stumbled over this site while looking for reviews on a guitar. What an incredible resource this place is.

I'm a 25 yo defense engineer and I've never had any musical education whatsoever, but about 3 months ago I decided to pick up the guitar and play and I have barely been able to put it down ever since (it helps my neighbor teaches guitar).

Anyway, everyone tells me I'm moving pretty fast through the basics and I'm really enjoying it. I'm trying to pick up music theory on the way which I thought slowed me down, but the engineer in me wants to know why songs work the way they do.

So I've picked up a good number of chords, I have some pretty fast change ups (although yesterday I started using a metronome to assist in rythym) and all of my pents. I'm now working on songs that combine them all, as well as some solo improv which I really enjoy.

I prefer the blues style of play and have held to that in my playing, but I slip some classic rock in there occassionally as well. I'd really like to play some reggae, tiny bit of metal, and I'd love to learn to some classical as well so I can play with a friend, but I figure all in good time. I'm 3 months in.

I'm probably going to be lurking for quite a bit because quite frankly I'm not sure I have much to offer right now, but I may have to put a few recordings up at some point if anyone is interested in hearing a newbie strum along. Although I might wait until I can replace my First Act Electric and amp (wal-mart sale) with something a little more viscious.

Thanks for the site guys. Again, this is an awesome resource to new guitarists and experienced alike and I look forward to plowing through some of these threads.

:R

tunghaichuan
September 24th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Welcome to The Fret.

tung

Algonquin
September 24th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Welcome to the Fret Glacies!
Cheers :beer:

luvmyshiner
September 24th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Welcome aboard Glacies!

Spudman
September 24th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Welcome Glacies.:wave:
Don't worry about feeling like you have to offer anything. Ask questions. We all benefit from that.

Robert
September 24th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Welcome Glacies, make yerself at home. :)

warren0728
September 24th, 2008, 07:26 AM
welcome glacies....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake:

note: this welcome copyrighted 2008...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

evenkeel
September 24th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Welcome! :beer:

Sounds like you are making great progress.

sunvalleylaw
September 24th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Welcome Glacies! I joined here as a rank beginner, and am still within my first few years of playing. This place is great for learning and quite supportive. No dumb questions, search the site, and if you can't find what you are looking for, ask away. Welcome to the party!

aeolian
September 24th, 2008, 09:10 AM
We're all here to learn, so join in with our trek.

sunvalleylaw
September 24th, 2008, 09:31 AM
aeolian, on that point, I just learned last night while playing with the modes of G major, how to switch up the lead on Gravity, and play it using your namesake mode in G, as an alternative to how it is played on the studio album, or to use to improv with to change it up. Cool! Made me think of you.

mrmudcat
September 24th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Welcome

aeolian
September 24th, 2008, 01:06 PM
aeolian, on that point, I just learned last night while playing with the modes of G major, how to switch up the lead on Gravity, and play it using your namesake mode in G, as an alternative to how it is played on the studio album, or to use to improv with to change it up. Cool! Made me think of you.

When I first joined this board I was trying to come up with a handle and I picked aeolian because I find myself pretty much stucked in that one mode and don't know how to free myself from it.

I'm still there.

just strum
September 24th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Welcome Glacies. Still considered a newbie here too. Probably two years of interrupted attempts to learn- family first.

Defense engineer? I always wondered who prevented the offense engineers from scoring - hmm, makes pretty good sense.

Teleman77
September 24th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Good to have you aboard. There is a lot of knowledge here and a bit of humor too.
Soon you can get rid of that First Act guitar and get a Telecaster and then..............it's REALLY over!:beer:

LagrangeCalvert
September 24th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Good to have you aboard. There is a lot of knowledge here and a bit of humor too.
Soon you can get rid of that First Act guitar and get a Telecaster and then..............it's REALLY over!:beer:

or pick up an Gibson SG...... :poke:

When you come to that bridge of finding a new guitar we will all be here to help you!

Welcome aboard.

just strum
September 24th, 2008, 05:15 PM
When you come to that bridge of finding a new guitar we will all be here to help you!

Welcome aboard.

Yep, we will even offer to have you send it to our house to test it out for a month or two. We really are a great bunch here at thefret.

warren0728
September 24th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Yep, we will even offer to have you send it to our house to test it out for a month or two. We really are a great bunch here at thefret.
yep....we're always thinking of others!! :beer: :rotflmao:

ww

scgmhawk
September 24th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Welcome, Glacbro! :beer:

Teleman77
September 24th, 2008, 06:48 PM
or pick up an Gibson SG...... :poke:

And then as soon as you regain your senses, put it back down!:poke:

player
September 24th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Welcome Glacies
I know you will like it here © :AOK:

LagrangeCalvert
September 24th, 2008, 08:44 PM
And then as soon as you regain your senses, put it back down!:poke:

LMAO........now he's gonna choose a Hagstrom

Brian Krashpad
September 25th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Welcome Glacies!

Teleman77
September 25th, 2008, 05:26 AM
LMAO........now he's gonna choose a Hagstrom

NOOOOOO!:puke:

Glacies
September 25th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

I am in the process, but another expensive hobby really wasn't needed at this point in my life (just bought my first house). I'm hoping to be set up at Christmas. I will selfishly use that holiday as a good GAS excuse. However you guys might have to help me come up with a gift for my gf/fiance to offset that omg-I-can't-beleive-you-just-spent-that-much-on-a-guitar factor.

Glacies
September 25th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Welcome Glacies. Still considered a newbie here too. Probably two years of interrupted attempts to learn- family first.

Defense engineer? I always wondered who prevented the offense engineers from scoring - hmm, makes pretty good sense.

:rotflmao:

Teleman77
September 25th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

I am in the process, but another expensive hobby really wasn't needed at this point in my life (just bought my first house). I'm hoping to be set up at Christmas. I will selfishly use that holiday as a good GAS excuse. However you guys might have to help me come up with a gift for my gf/fiance to offset that omg-I-can't-beleive-you-just-spent-that-much-on-a-guitar factor.

:rotflmao: I hear that all the time!

You spent how much??

ted s
September 25th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Welcome Glacies !

oldguy
September 28th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Welcome to TheFret, Glacies! Glad you joined us here.:)

duhvoodooman
September 29th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Welcome to The Fret, Glacies! Happy to have you with us! :AOK: :dude: :rockon: