PDA

View Full Version : Led Zeppelin reunion? Robert Plant replaced?

Robert
September 24th, 2008, 08:13 AM
This one says paperwork is holding up a reunion - http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/robert-plant-led-zep-reunion-held-up-by-paperwork-174404

This article says "LED ZEPPELIN frontman ROBERT PLANT is to be given an ultimatum by his bandmates – join us on tour or we’ll replace you. "

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article1712616.ece

What's it gonna be?

sunvalleylaw
September 24th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Led Zeppelin with David Lee Roth. :rockon: ;)

evenkeel
September 24th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Led Zeppelin with David Lee Roth. :rockon: ;)

Now that's a terrifying thought!! :thwap:

Reading the various articles I find it heatwarming that even with the wisdom of maturity, Plant, Page, et.al can still act like, well rock stars!! :D

Jimi75
September 24th, 2008, 08:35 AM
As soon as you start changing members it doesn't work. I think Bonham's son did a good job steppin' into his father's shoes, but Plant can not be replaced. Honestly, I had no idea who could come even close.

marnold
September 24th, 2008, 08:35 AM
What would be the point of Led Zeppelin reuniting without Robert Plant? Who would fill in for him? David Coverdale?

sunvalleylaw
September 24th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Yeah, my thought too. It is not Zep without Plant's vocal. Might as well throw Roth in there and call it something else. I don't think I could watch it though. LOL!

Tone2TheBone
September 24th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Jimmy has always wanted Led Zeppelin to go on even after Bonzo's death. I think Robert's being a wuss because he can't sing those high screeches anymore and he doesn't want to tour. Come on Rob be a man! Remember the good ole days of groupies and sharks! The L.A. scene man you can do it! We want Led Zeppelin!

sunvalleylaw
September 24th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Yeah, he should just cowboy up and sing it as well has he can, and even if he can't screech like back in the day, he can still kick *** (hiney, I mean). Did you see Jimmy perform at the closing ceremony of the Olympics? Those things are generally kinda cheesy in my opinion, but he still rocked.

tunghaichuan
September 24th, 2008, 09:39 AM
What would be the point of Led Zeppelin reuniting without Robert Plant? Who would fill in for him? David Coverdale?

Lenny Wolf (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenny_Wolf) of Kingdom Come (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_Come_(band)).

Kingdom Come on MySpace (http://www.myspace.com/lennywolf).

tung

stingx
September 24th, 2008, 09:41 AM
I hear David Coverdale is free...

Lev
September 24th, 2008, 09:47 AM
If you ever doubted the credibility of the Sun as a serious source of information take a look at their 'top story' half way down that page on the right!! "Busty Chantelle is a swell belle"

hubberjub
September 24th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I hear David Coverdale is free...

That's probably about all he could charge at this point in his career too.

Iago
September 24th, 2008, 10:27 AM
this is more than dated.. but without ANY of them is not Zeppelin anymore, and would be an offense to call it such. I doubt Jimmy Page would go on a tour without Plant though..

R_of_G
September 24th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Without Plant, calling it Led Zeppelin is just ludicrous. Maybe Page/Jones could just shorten it to "Led Zep" - since they're only 50% of the original band, that'd be slightly more than 50% of the letters in the name.

Personally, if Plant doesn't want to do it, I applaud him. Enough with the classic-rock reunion tours already. Let the past be the past. It's not like the Led Zeppelin legend is in danger of fading. They are still one of the most revered rock bands of all time and I suspect they always will be. Not one of them could possibly need the money, so there's nothing necessitating that they reform for a tour or anything else if they aren't all into the idea.

marnold
September 24th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I wasn't really intending to turn this into a David Coverdale bashing thread, especially not since the new Whitesnake album is really good. WRT Plant being able to sing high (notes), listen to some old live stuff. He never sang "Rock and Roll" or "Black Dog" as high as the original recording, for self-preservation if no other reason. I can't imagine he'd be able to get close 40 years later.

Tung, I saw Lenny Wolf and co. on the Monsters of Rock tour. He was SERIOUSLY p.o.'d at the crowd for basically ignoring their performance. They were first up, so not even 1/2 the crowd was there yet. Those who were there either didn't know them or were in the "Kingdom Come is a Led Zeppelin rip-off band" camp. I wrote a letter to the editor of Guitar for the Practicing Musician basically telling them to lay off Kingdom Come. Not that I was a big fan or anything but the vitriol was just getting ridiculous. The letter got published, even.

ShortBuSX
September 24th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Maybe Lenny Kravitz?(snicker/chuckle)

If I was Robert Plant Id tell em to go ahead and pound sand!
Hes doing quite well right now...certainly this "other Zeppelin" wouldnt gross near as much without him.
But then again Ive been hearing Zeppelin reunion rumors since I was 12 years old...Ive waited this long, I can wait till Roberts current tour ends and hes recovered...but I suspect this is just more of the fans impatience churning the rumor mill.

tunghaichuan
September 24th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Tung, I saw Lenny Wolf and co. on the Monsters of Rock tour. He was SERIOUSLY p.o.'d at the crowd for basically ignoring their performance. They were first up, so not even 1/2 the crowd was there yet. Those who were there either didn't know them or were in the "Kingdom Come is a Led Zeppelin rip-off band" camp. I wrote a letter to the editor of Guitar for the Practicing Musician basically telling them to lay off Kingdom Come. Not that I was a big fan or anything but the vitriol was just getting ridiculous. The letter got published, even.

Oh, I wasn't bashing Lenny Wolf. I think he sounds a lot like Plant; I think he would make a great stand in for Plant. Which is part of the reason for the bashing. Before Wolf was in Kingdom Come, he was in a band in the 80s called Stone Fury. I still have one of their records on vinyl.

I agree on the vitriol though, enough is enough. Rock 'n Roll is so derivative that it is hard to single out one band without singling out all of them. :whatever:

tung

Algonquin
September 24th, 2008, 03:57 PM
[QUOTE=ShortBuSX]Maybe Lenny Kravitz?(snicker/chuckle)QUOTE]

I actually thought of Lenny too when I read this thread earlier today. Not really for a Led Zep Tour, but I think he'd be great for a couple of gigs that showcased Zep songs.

Spudman
September 24th, 2008, 04:51 PM
This same situation is going on in the Yes camp. Apparently Yes is scheduling a tour and has hired a vocalist to replace the ailing Jon Anderson. So it begs the question - who is Yes? Mostly we all associate the voice of Anderson with Yes just like we do Plant with Zep.

Apparently the only people going to the Yes shows will be those that haven't heard that Jon is out. The rest aren't going. Sorry Chris, Allan and Steve.

Jon posted this on his web site:

NOT YES

September 18, 2008

Disappointed, and very Disrespected

Disappointed that, with the exception of one phone call from Alan, none of the guys have been in touch since my illness, just to find out how I am doing, and how we will foresee the future for YES. And disappointed that they were not willing to wait till 2009 when I’m fully recovered.

And I feel very disrespected, having spent most of this year creating songs and constant ideas for the band, spending time with Roger Dean creating a stage design, also working with VH1 and Sirius and XM Radio to help promote the welfare of YES.

Getting sick was not "on my radar”, and I thank my own angel Janeee and my family for helping me through this difficult time, and the many well wishers, friends and fans alike, for understanding that ''things happen''.

Of course I wish the guys all the best in their 'solo' work, but I just wish this could have been done in a more gentlemanly fashion. After all YES is a precious musical band.

This is not YES on tour...

I send best wishes to one and all, http://jonanderson.com/images/jonsig_lt.gif

Jon Anderson
September 2008

street music
September 24th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Spud, that's the kind of stuff that just destroys the idea of what a band could be today. To leave Jon out would be a shame just as LZ without Plant.
I'm seeing the younger gen beginning to turn on to those sounds again and it would be great to have the actual members return to the stage. Glad you posted that Spud, I always liked YES.

marnold
September 25th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Although if memory serves, weren't there two versions of "Yes" in the early 80s, one with and one without Anderson?

R_of_G
September 25th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Although if memory serves, weren't there two versions of "Yes" in the early 80s, one with and one without Anderson?

I believe you are correct, which is what led to the whole "Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe" project. I saw the fully reunited (with all members) Yes in 1991. Awesome show, particularly Mr. Howe.

Spudman
September 25th, 2008, 08:24 AM

You are correct. Trevor Horn of the Buggles (Geoff Downes - Asia) replaced Jon for an album and tour. The majority of Yes fans don't feel that this was quintessential Yes. Many saw Trevor on the tour and he simply could not deliver the goods. I admit that I liked the Drama album that Trevor sang on and produced but other than "Into The Lens" nothing on the album has had much lasting effect on me. I can't say the same or the albums with Jon. And speaking of...

I can't imagine Zep without Plant. Maybe Zep could go the way of Journey and find an unknown and continue on but what you are down to is 1/2 of Zep. Only 2 original members remain.

Just recently Steve Lukather ended TOTO since he was the last remaining member.

I think it comes down to the point of how do you define the product? Is it the sum of one or two members? Why not just change the name and be done with it? Why didn't The Firm or Coverdale/Page or The Black Crowes call themselves Led Zeppelin when Page was with those projects. Same goes here. It's simply not Zep.

Bloozcat
September 27th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Maybe they should just audition a bunch of Led Zeppelin tribute band singers until they find one who can cover the range of a younger Robert Plant's voice. Or go on YouTube like Neal Schon of Journey did recently to replace lead singer Steve Perry (see November 2008 Guitar Player issue for story).

Lenny Wolf is close, and I remember thinking that when I first heard Kingdom Come several years ago, but I don't think that even he can hit the really high notes that Plant did.

I too, feel that a Led Zeppelin without Plant is nothing but a cheat. I wouldn't want to see them any more than I do any of the many bands out there that tour without key original band members with them.

warren0728
September 27th, 2008, 08:58 AM
no plant....no zep....

just sayin'....

ww

Tone2TheBone
September 27th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Maybe they should just audition a bunch of Led Zeppelin tribute band singers until they find one who can cover the range of a younger Robert Plant's voice. Or go on YouTube like Neal Schon of Journey did recently to replace lead singer Steve Perry (see November 2008 Guitar Player issue for story).

Boston did the same thing recently.

ps - Warren tie your goatie into some braids dude. :D

just strum
September 28th, 2008, 06:17 AM
no plant....no zep....

just sayin'....

ww

It's funny how they really can't pull it off without Plant. Yet, in my opinion, The Who do a very nice job of pulling it off without two original members. However, if one was Pete or Roger, then I am sure it would end.

Pink Floyd was another one that pulled it off. However, if you weren't a die hard fan, you had no idea who was an "original" member.

marnold
September 28th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Boston did the same thing recently.
Of course, they didn't have much of a choice. Their original singer took his own life not that long ago.

Spudman
September 28th, 2008, 01:26 PM
How about Dokken without Don Dokken? What would that be?

The Lynch Mob

marnold
September 28th, 2008, 03:05 PM
How about Dokken without Don Dokken? What would that be?

The Lynch Mob
If you're talking "Wicked Sensation" era, you're probably right.

mechanic
September 30th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I heard on the radio this morning that Robert Plant had changed his mind and will be touring with Zeppelin.
I hope its true.
I'd love to see Jimmy playing live again but I don't think I could stand seeing someone else basically butcher (vocally) some of my favorite tunes.
For that reason alone if Plant doesn't tour with them I won't be going to see them again.
Just my opinion YMMV
Eric

Andy
September 30th, 2008, 07:24 PM
I'm a little behind ...does this include John Paul Jones?

..the guy never gets the respect(or credit) he deserves. even from his ex bandmates

mechanic
September 30th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I'm a little behind ...does this include John Paul Jones?

..the guy never gets the respect(or credit) he deserves. even from his ex bandmates
As far as I know Jonsey will be there as well.
or so I heard.

Robert
September 30th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Robert Plant says no -
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Showbiz-News/Robert-Plant-Says-No-To-Led-Zeppelin-Tour-Despite-Rumours/Article/200809415109722?lpos=Showbiz_News_Second_UK_News_A rticle_Teaser_Region_1&lid=ARTICLE_15109722_Robert_Plant_Says_No_To_Led_Z eppelin_Tour_Despite_Rumours

He doesn't want to become a parody.

R_of_G
October 1st, 2008, 06:59 AM
Robert Plant says no -
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Showbiz-News/Robert-Plant-Says-No-To-Led-Zeppelin-Tour-Despite-Rumours/Article/200809415109722?lpos=Showbiz_News_Second_UK_News_A rticle_Teaser_Region_1&lid=ARTICLE_15109722_Robert_Plant_Says_No_To_Led_Z eppelin_Tour_Despite_Rumours

He doesn't want to become a parody.

Good for him! I reiterate my support for Plant and my disdain for these reunion tours. They are totally unnecessary. Sure, I am too young and never got to see LZ in their heyday, but seeing them in their 60's doing a greatest hits tour is not appealing to me. I have live shows on CD and I have DVD.

Besides, no Bonham = no Zeppelin.

Radioboy950
October 1st, 2008, 07:26 AM
I think Robert's being a wuss because he can't sing those high screeches anymore and he doesn't want to tour.

Good point. But I hear Jimmy has agreed to accommodate the "Plant Stand" by playing a Ravelle Baritone and chewing up his finger tips with some nice heavy gauge strings (.017 - .095). :D

Spudman
October 28th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Zeppelin to go back on the road

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45053000/jpg/_45053625_-9.jpg Robert Plant has ruled himself out of further collaborations with the band

Rock legends Led Zeppelin are planning to tour and record but without frontman Robert Plant.
Bassist John Paul Jones told BBC Radio Devon that a new singer was being sought after Plant ruled himself out.
The last time the band performed together was at the O2 arena in London in December 2007.
Speculation has since been rife that the surviving members of the band, with Jason Bonham, son of their late drummer John Bonham, would go back on the road.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gifhttp://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/start_quote_rb.gif It's sounding great and we want to get on and get out there http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/end_quote_rb.gif

John Paul Jones

Jones, speaking at a guitar show in Exeter, Devon said: "We are trying out a couple of singers.
"We want to do it. It's sounding great and we want to get on and get out there."
He said that he and guitarist Jimmy Page along with drummer Jason Bonham did not want a replica of Plant.
He said: "It's got to be right. There's no point in just finding another Robert.
"You could get that out of a tribute band, but we don't want to be our own tribute band.
"There would be a record and a tour, but everyone has to be on board."
He described the one-off show at the O2 as "wonderful".
He said: "The most pleasure is making music. I love listening to it, but nothing as much fun as having an instrument in my hand and communicating with people."
He said preparation for the London show had been "very hard work", but everything had clicked on the night. "It felt like the next night of the last tour."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/devon/7694327.stm

just strum
October 28th, 2008, 06:43 PM
They mentioned the tour on the radio this morning and the search for a singer. One that was brought up was Steven Tyler since I guess he's done some work with them http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/dunno.gif.

So that it doesn't look like an attempt at Led Zeppelin, they should get Ann and Nancy Wilson to join them. Ann could belt out some Zep tunes with no problem.

bigoldron
October 28th, 2008, 06:58 PM
They mentioned the tour on the radio this morning and the search for a singer. One that was brought up was Steven Tyler since I guess he's done some work with them http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/dunno.gif.

So that it doesn't look like an attempt at Led Zeppelin, they should get Ann and Nancy Wilson to join them. Ann could belt out some Zep tunes with no problem.

Yep, Ann can still belt 'em out! And Nancy's still hot as a pistol!!! :drool:

marnold
October 28th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Now THAT would be interesting.

bigoldron
October 28th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Now THAT would be interesting.

As that famous movie quote goes, "I'd buy that for a dollar!" :rotflmao:

markb
October 28th, 2008, 10:11 PM
OK, so which of the people below would you prefer to share a stage with? I think I can see where Percy's coming from on this one :D

R_of_G
October 29th, 2008, 07:04 AM
I think the project with Alison Krauss was exceptionally interesting and not just because it featured Ribot on guitar, but because it brought out a whole new side of Plant, one where he actually sung instead of just doing his high pitched screeching thing.

I love Led Zeppelin but I would much rather see/hear Plant do something new and interesting than do a Led Zep Greatest Hits Tour. It saddens me when these older bands go out on tour and basically just become their own tribute bands. I know that a lot of people enjoy it because they never got to see these bands play live in their prime, but I've come to accept that I can't get down about "missing out" on things that were before my time.