PDA

View Full Version : What a difference!

sensei
September 24th, 2008, 11:46 AM
hey all,

I spent some time last night adjusting the intonation of my strat. The upper frets have been "off" for a while, but I noticed it most when bending notes at the upper frets. It was very easy, and it's made a real difference in sound quality. I still have a little tweaking to do sometime, but not much.

If your guitar never been setup, or its been a long time, it really helped mine.

On another note, why does the quality of sound decrease when I'm not right in front of my speaker?

tunghaichuan
September 24th, 2008, 11:51 AM
On another note, why does the quality of sound decrease when I'm not right in front of my speaker?

Is the speaker in a closed-back cabinet or an open-back cabinet?

tung

sensei
September 24th, 2008, 11:52 AM
open, it's a Marshall G10 Mk2 (ya I know cheap and crappy)

ShortBuSX
September 24th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Are you using it on a stand?
My buddys Marshall SS combo sounds very thin and weak on a stand, you had to be standing right in front of it to really hear it over the mix....sitting on the floor sounds much better now.

sensei
September 24th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I can't hear a difference when I move the amp, but only if i'm directly in the path or not.

tunghaichuan
September 24th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I can't hear a difference when I move the amp, but only if i'm directly in the path or not.

That's interesting. Usually only closed-back speakers cabs are like that. They beam all the sound directly forward. Open-back cabs are a bit better in that regard, but it sounds like the speaker you have is beamy. Maybe if you replaced the speaker?

tung

sensei
September 24th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Hopefully this winter I'll be upgrading to a better amp. Maybe not so "beamy"

M29
September 24th, 2008, 02:02 PM
It may be the dispersion of the speakers in the cab. When ever you buy a speaker cab either for your guitar or your home stereo stand out from the speaker cab about 5 or 6 feet. Then walk across in front of the cab and listen to the sound. The high frequencies will be stronger in the middle of the path you take and then they will drop right off. I don't know how good the speakers are but better speakers will have a wider path across the front with better dispersion of the higher frequencies before they drop off.

Just a thought.:D