PDA

View Full Version : Do you cry just a little bit

stingx
September 25th, 2008, 06:02 AM
on the inside when you see a guitar smashed? http://www.chins-n-quills.com/forums/images/smilies/cry2.gif

http://s1n.dyndns.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/aaron_guitar.JPG

Glacies
September 25th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I hope I'm not being too direct here in a crowd I'm just meeting, but I always thought that was stupid. I hate seeing guys do that.

ted s
September 25th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Not a fan either... of the smashing that is.
John Hiatt.. :AOK:
d5begHSoQ1s

Spudman
September 25th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Since it is such an unoriginal thing to do anymore it just seems like a feeble cry for attention from an otherwise less talented person. I wouldn't cry for the guitar but instead for the person that is so desperate to believe that anybody actually thinks that what they are doing by smashing a guitar has any validity.

Robert
September 25th, 2008, 07:12 AM
I did that to my first ever guitar. It was so crappy that I took it outside and smashed it on a big rock. Oooooh, the satisfaction! :D
You gotta try it sometime, guys. ;) :D

Jimi75
September 25th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Oh shame this is so destructive.......I can not kill a guitar.
;)

Ro3b
September 25th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I've posted this quote here before, but it bears repeating. This is Ron Asheton, quoted in Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk by Legs McNeil and Gillian McCain:

"We went to see the Who at the Cavern. It was wall to f*cking wall of people. We muscled through to about ten feet from the stage, and Townshend was smashing his twelve-string Rickenbacker.

It was my first experience of total pandemonium. It was like a dog pile of people, just trying to grab pieces of Townshend's guitar, and people were scrambling to dive up onstage and he'd swing the guitar at their heads. The audience weren't cheering; it was more like animal noises, howling. The whole room turned really primitive--like a pack of starving animals that hadn't eaten in a week and somebody throws out a piece of meat. I was afraid. For me it wasn't fun, but it was mesmerizing. It was like, 'The plane's burning, the ship's sinking, so let's crush each other.' Never had I seen people driven so nuts--that music could drive people to such dangerous extremes. That's when I realized, this is definitely what I want to do."

Brian Krashpad
September 25th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I did that to my first ever guitar. It was so crappy that I took it outside and smashed it on a big rock. Oooooh, the satisfaction! :D
You gotta try it sometime, guys. ;) :D

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/9595/caseysmashingguitar003dy9.jpg

I've posted this quote here before, but it bears repeating. This is Ron Asheton, quoted in Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk by Legs McNeil and Gillian McCain

How did you like that book? I've read a lot about punk rock, but haven't found that'un in our local public libraries yet.

luvmyshiner
September 25th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Yeah, I gotta admit. I'm not a big fan of the whole guitar smashing thing.

Now setting one on fire . . . that's another matter.:AOK:

evenkeel
September 25th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Cry a lot! Always seemed a bit silly. Townshend smashing his Les Paul, Moon kicking over his drum kit. What's all the angst about??? :thwap:

Teds. Love the Hiatt reference. Big fan of his work.

Ro3b
September 25th, 2008, 09:45 AM
How did you like that book? I've read a lot about punk rock, but haven't found that'un in our local public libraries yet.

It's a great read. It's all first-person narratives from most of the major players in the New York scene, covering the period (roughly) from the early Velvet Underground to the death of Sid Vicious. Sex, insanity, death, and nihilism. Great fun all around.

Bloozcat
September 25th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I absolutely cringe when I see it...unless of course it's El Kabong doing it...:D

sumitomo
September 25th, 2008, 10:15 AM
When I was about 28 I smashed a TV with a guitar.Believe me it was better the TV than my wife at the time.Sumi:D

evenkeel
September 25th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I absolutely cringe when I see it...unless of course it's El Kabong doing it...:D

Perfect!!!
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Spudman
September 25th, 2008, 10:55 AM
This way seems the most appropriate.
BfUkFncPXzE

R_of_G
September 25th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Well, if nobody ever smashed their gear, we'd have been deprived of one of my favorite album covers ever (from one of my favorite albums as well)...

http://i34.tinypic.com/2gtb7mq.jpg

thearabianmage
September 25th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Not a fan of smashing guitars. . . At all. I heard that Townshend only smashes a specific guitar that he glues up after every 'smash'. . . Kinda defeats the purpose, eh? Economic, though.

Now, there is a moment on one of the Pantera Vulgar Videos From Hell where Dime broke the headstock of his Washburn clean off the neck during a gig (most probably a drunken accident) but because of the locking nut, the guitar was still in tune, so he carried on playing the set and the headstock was just dangling off, only held to the guitar by the strings.

That was cool.

And as far as letting steam off, there plenty of other things one could smash than guitars. Kick a bike or something. :D

sumitomo
September 25th, 2008, 12:20 PM
This way seems the most appropriate.
BfUkFncPXzE

Boy they turned that soundhole into a sighthole Sumi:D

ted s
September 25th, 2008, 03:23 PM
idjits.

marnold
September 25th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I really wanted to smash my first bass for having the temerity to be a piece of crap. Of course, the main problem was mine. I was in such a hurry to get a bass that I didn't want to wait one day until a store with far better selection was open. It weighed a ton and sounded kind of dull and lifeless. A pickup swap did very little for it. I'm reasonably sure it was made of plywood. I really wanted to smash it, but the store where I got my new bass from actually offered me money for it. Then I got my Peavey Fury P-bass and it was like I had died and gone to heaven.

pes_laul
September 29th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Well, if nobody ever smashed their gear, we'd have been deprived of one of my favorite album covers ever (from one of my favorite albums as well)...

You know whats cool I saw that same guitar at the rock n roll hall of fame in ohio. It was in a glass case in like two and all beaten up with the album right next to it. very cool:AOK:

ShortBuSX
September 29th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Its always the worst when its a Les Paul or something really valueable...but groups like KISS just wrecked junk, hardly impressive either way.

But you know what makes me wanna cry a lil more and more often is what they do to guitars on EBAY! Its just sad:(

just strum
September 29th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Pete smashed it, Jimi burned it - move on.

I saw The Who in the early 70's and admittidly was mesmerized by Townsend at the end of the concert. It was my very first concert and we were right up from by the stage.

I had planned on smashing my Squier Bullet one day, but gave it to a kid that wanted a Strat. I think it was a better cause, although for all I know, he smashed it.

hagarfreak33
September 29th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Its always the worst when its a Les Paul or something really valueable...but groups like KISS just wrecked junk, hardly impressive either way.

But you know what makes me wanna cry a lil more and more often is what they do to guitars on EBAY! Its just sad:(
I HATE when people waste a good guitar-i did notice Paul Stanley switches to a cheap guitar before he smashes it:rotflmao:

ET335
September 30th, 2008, 03:14 PM
idjits.

I agree with ya ted....Really stupid!

the1percent
October 13th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I hate to see a guitar murdered, but I have something I hate even more.

When your co-worker, who has zero musical skill gets a Les paul for his birthday along with a Sun amp and never plays it.

I think it is far worse for a guitar to live and yet ... not live.

luvmyshiner
October 13th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I hate to see a guitar murdered, but I have something I hate even more.

When your co-worker, who has zero musical skill gets a Les paul for his birthday along with a Sun amp and never plays it.

I think it is far worse for a guitar to live and yet ... not live.

I have to respectfully disagree. If I only bought guitars commensurate with my ability to play, I would only own . . . like maybe a half a guitar.

The_Shredinator21
October 13th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Since it is such an unoriginal thing to do anymore it just seems like a feeble cry for attention from an otherwise less talented person. I wouldn't cry for the guitar but instead for the person that is so desperate to believe that anybody actually thinks that what they are doing by smashing a guitar has any validity.

Well i would have to agree with spudman. Even though i have never done it, Even if you smashed even a crappy guitar, it could have turned out to be redone and great, or even a gift for a charity or someone who would really love to learn guitar.

fensonpaulcaster
October 21st, 2008, 09:06 PM
I personally think that smashing a guitar would be like smashing one of your kids, but to a lesser extent of course haha

Guitars for me are more then just that
theyre totally works of art

I will never sell any of my guitars let alone smash them

i am definitely NOT a fan of smashing a "perfectly good guitar" haha

:D

ShortBuSX
October 21st, 2008, 09:28 PM
I ran across this T-shirt a couple weeks ago, and everytime I see a post in this topic I keep going back to that shirt.
And to me this shirt is quite the paradoxal enigma, I cant quite figure out its marketing message or strategy...its such a mixed message.

You decide its meaning and please explain it to me:confused:

http://music-gifts.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=411411

And yet somehow I kinda want that stupid shirt :thwap:

Brian Krashpad
October 22nd, 2008, 06:59 AM
I ran across this T-shirt a couple weeks ago, and everytime I see a post in this topic I keep going back to that shirt.
And to me this shirt is quite the paradoxal enigma, I cant quite figure out its marketing message or strategy...its such a mixed message.

You decide its meaning and please explain it to me:confused:

http://music-gifts.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=411411

And yet somehow I kinda want that stupid shirt :thwap:

Haha!

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/6574/squiersmashquotein3.th.jpg

bigoldron
October 22nd, 2008, 01:54 PM
Haha!

That's funny, I don't care who you are! :rotflmao:

kiteman
October 24th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I don't care if they smash guitars as long as it's esteban guitars they're smashing. :)

just strum
October 24th, 2008, 07:05 PM

R of G, I'm with you 100% on this one.

tjcurtin1
October 24th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Haha!

Hey, wait a minute...isn't that the headstock logo of Bumstead guitars...??!!