PDA

View Full Version : The *NEW* Zoom G2 Multi-pedal

Nelskie
October 27th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Just wondering if any other Fret.Net members have purchased, or played through one of these new Zoom pedals? I just picked up mine a couple of weeks ago, and am still becoming familiar with some of its features. This is the next generation of pedal from Zoom, taking the 505II's place. Besides having a built-in drum machine (which is great for practice!), the G2 has a full array of classic amp & stomp-box models, as well as (40) presets - so you can save your favorites!!! :) Like any multi-pedal, some sounds / features are better than others. At $100 US (or a bit more than your average-priced $75 dollar pedal), if there are (2) or (3) that suit your fancy, you've already gotten your money's worth. :p

Here's the link: http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/g2/index.php

Robert
October 30th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Sounds interesting, I'll try to check one out. Are you happy with it? Does it work well for direct recording?

Nelskie
October 31st, 2005, 06:54 PM
Robert - The G2 seems to have been designed speficially with recording in mind. I am still "experimenting" with it at this point, but have discovered many of its sounds and effects very useful. The clean amp models are very nice - airy and open, with a lot of head room - like those in the Vox ADVT's. The distortion stuff I am still trying to reign in a bit, although the excellent EQ feature helps when adapting it to smaller amps. Bearing in mind my limited use of the pedal to this point, the OD and feedback models seem to be a little too "transistor-y" for my tastes. I did coax a very nice OD tone with the one of the Mesa Boogie models through my little Epi last nite. The best thing about finding that tone was the fact that I was able to save it into memory, so I can call it up again later. I'm planning on posting a review on the G2 later on, after I've had a chance to put it through its paces with different gear.

Nelskie
April 5th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Here are a few updated comments about my Zoom G2 pedal:

The acquisition of my new Tech 21 Power Engine has allowed me to run the Zoom G2's amp models through it, and to great effect I might add. The Marshall JC800 is a very solid sounding emulation, as is the Fender Deluxe. On top of that, the Zoom also has a variety of effects that can be implemented with the amp models, or as stand-alone effects (i.e. without using an amp or pedal sim). I frequently use my G2's effects banks when playing my Valve Jr., and they really add a lot of dimension to the already great Class A tone. The other thing I really like about it is that if you find a nice tone / effect combination, you can save it to memory. I dialed in a very nice reverb / chorus / stereo tape echo effect the other night, and can now call it up at the press of a button.

Zoom, having foresight in the aspect of using the G2 for recording, has designed features for use in both live and studio settings. For example, the amp / pedal sims have a separate presets for both live, and line-in recording (which allows for the cabinet sim to be implemented into the tone). Another cool feature is the built in drum machine, which is a fantastic practice tool. With over (40) pre-programmed beats (and never a complaint about what you what to play), the drum machine is a feature that I use all the time, and it's very realistic sounding to boot. Another thing I use a lot on the G2 is the very accurate built-in tuner. Over the past few months, I've replaced some of the hokier-sounding thrash metal presets with tones of my own creation, and I have those tones lined up in sequence on one of the banks for quick call-up. Being able to save cool tones and effects settings is a great feature, and something with immediate benefits - esp. if you use the pedal live.

At $100, the G2 has a number of very useful tones & features that will add value to you playing. I've only mentioned some of the features I use most frequently, but in reality, this is only a small part of what this pedal offers. Having used the 505II (the G2's predacessor), I can honestly say that Zoom has really taken this pedal to the next level both tone and feature-wise. Like I've said before, if there are 3-4 tones or features on this pedal that you end up using a lot, you've gotten your money's worth. The simple fact of it is that you will undoubtedly find a lot more than that, and that being the case, it gets a solid 4 out of 5 stars from me. It's a piece of gear I use a lot, and definitely a pedal / effects processor worth having. ;)

Since my first post, they have added some G2 sound sound clips at the Zoom website. Check 'em out here:

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/download/demosound/demosound.php

tot_Ou_tard
April 6th, 2006, 06:11 AM
I'm certainly not at the recording stage, I don't use too many effects, and I have an amp modeler in the AD30VT (I wish the line out that I use with headphones came after the valvereactor circuit), but the drum machine idea sounds interesting. I have a digital metronome, but that ain't the same thing. Does anyone know of a good drum machine? Or is the one in the Zoom so good, that I might as well get that and have the rest of the stuff just to boot.

tot_Ou_tard
April 6th, 2006, 06:19 AM
I just realized that I would probably need to hook a drum machine up to my stereo in order to hear it while playing.

tot_Ou_tard
April 6th, 2006, 06:42 AM
I think that the cheaper way to go for a drum machine is via drum software for the computer. I can try free software & see if it works well for me. It's a bit of a pain as I don't usually play near my computer, but so be it.

Back to your regularly scheduled discussion of the Zoom pedal...

Nelskie
April 6th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Tot - You run the pedal right into your amp. If you want to just use the that feature, you can turn off all the others. The drum volume is set by the loudness of your amp, and can be also be further adjusted via the controls on the pedal. The sounds of the drums are very good, IMHO. No fills, and transitions are pretty barebones. But it works good for what it is. When I practice, I just like to have something going on in the background to help me keep time, and the G2's drums work out very well. And that is but one of the pedal's many features.

tot_Ou_tard
April 6th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Tot - You run the pedal right into your amp. If you want to just use the that feature, you can turn off all the others. The drum volume is set by the loudness of your amp, and can be also be further adjusted via the controls on the pedal. The sounds of the drums are very good, IMHO. No fills, and transitions are pretty barebones. But it works good for what it is. When I practice, I just like to have something going on in the background to help me keep time, and the G2's drums work out very well. And that is but one of the pedal's many features.
Yeah, I'm rethinking this. I might be able to use this for headphones playing much easier & more poratble than dragging the AD30VT around. The only question is don't the drums get ragged if you crank up the distortion on the amp?

tot_Ou_tard
April 6th, 2006, 10:55 AM
So Nelsk, can the features be independently selected? Say, I want to use the EQ, drum machine & an overdrive pedal, with no amp modeling. Is that possible?

Nelskie
April 6th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Yes, all the settings can be used independently of the amp / cab models. And yes, the drum sound does get a little "dodgy" as you crank up the volume - mostly because it's also contending with whatever effects or amp / cab models you're running with the pedal. Remember, it wasn't designed as a stand-alone drum machine - it's mainly for lower-volume practice purposes, and to keep time. For that, it fits the bill nicely.

tot_Ou_tard
April 7th, 2006, 03:47 AM
Ah, yes thanks.

Does anyone take their guitars on trips to play in the hotel room? This might be nice for that. Does a guitar in a hard case hold up well in luggage or is that just to risky?

I still haven't decided whether I need it(or *want* it--to reference a recently chastised thread).

tot_Ou_tard
April 11th, 2006, 07:09 AM
OK, I am back to possibly wanting the G2 and in searching the internet I came across the G7 & G9 models. Now these are too steep for what I need it for, but was wondering whether anybody here had experience with them & how they compare with the Tonelab. The G9 for example has two 12AX7 tubes, but I am not certain how they fit in the architecture. One comes before the OD section I believe. Is the other used as a clipping diode? My question is whether the tubes are gimmicky or integral to the feel as in the Valvetronix/Tonelab.

Spudman
April 11th, 2006, 07:49 AM
The Tonelab sounds way better than the Zoom imho.

SuperSwede
April 11th, 2006, 02:52 PM
The tube (12AX87) in the tonelab simulates different kinds of power amps (Class A / AB and so on). It really makes a difference and I can really recommend it.

tot_Ou_tard
April 21st, 2006, 07:12 AM
Thanks all.

tot_Ou_tard
April 24th, 2006, 04:44 PM
I just got the Zoom in & had a few minutes to play around with it. It's a little confusing to figure out, but you soon get the hang of it. I turned off everything but the amp models the eq and the extra eq. I tried the JC clean & the Fender Clean.

First impressions:

Negatives:

This ain't no valvetronix. If I had the dough, I'd get the Tonelab.

Positives:

I'm untethered from my amp!!!

It sounds good enough for what I need it for.

The drum machine.

Chromatic tuner

The 6 band eq

low mid high
low-mid presence harmonics

is very nice.

I'll have to spend some time putting it through its paces.

Best line from the the addendum to the manual:

"When you use guitar amp for recording patches, not only intended modeling sound will not existing but also you hear harsh-sounding sometimes. Please adjust guitar amp setting as above reference."

Also JC Clean is labeled as JC Crean.

tot_Ou_tard
April 24th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Clearly I'm gonna have to give this pedal some time. I am liking the JC Clean a whole lot better the longer I play it.

tot_Ou_tard
April 24th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Well now that 'splains alot. I was using the Zoom with headphones and the Extra EQ (low-mid presence harmonics) turned on. This turns off the cab emulation and puts it into "pedal in front of amp" mode! Back to the ol' listening board!

SuperSwede
April 25th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Wow! I would love that JC Crean sound! :)

I really would recommend that you should take a look at the tonelab/pod XT instead. I´ve never heard a Zoom that could pull off a convincing vintage amp sound.

Spudman
April 25th, 2006, 07:49 AM
I agree. Most Zoom stuff sounds a little artificial to me. Also, I never read about professionals using Zoom stuff to make their recordings, but I do hear about the Pod and Tone Lab.

I hear the Prexi is good too.:rolleyes:

Snowblind
April 28th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Do you guys think the tonelab is worth 5 times the price?

SuperSwede
April 29th, 2006, 01:50 AM
I think so, the amps are nothing but amazing. The tonelab or the XT is really not expensive imho, you get really good and authentic replicas of some of the greatest amps ever. Besides, I really love cooking with chicken head knobs on "big blue".

tot_Ou_tard
April 29th, 2006, 06:34 AM
Do you guys think the tonelab is worth 5 times the price?
It is three the price for the regular Tonelab; 5 times for the Tonelab SE.

warren0728
April 29th, 2006, 07:09 AM
the new zoom g2u.1 looks interesting

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/g21u/index.php

set up for using both in front of an amp or for direct recording...i know zoom isn't really pro gear but i bet it would sound good for us home players.

ww

Tim
April 29th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Thanks to a few PMs with Spuds, I have decided not to purchase the Zoom g2u.1. I have been playing around with my V-Amp2 and I have re-read the manual. I picked up a few new pointers and understand the V-Amp2 more than I did before. Spuds also suggested a few tidbits of information that I did not know.

Now over the next few weeks I am going to experiment with some home recording and try different amp modelers and effects. Whenever I complete whatever project comes out of this, I will post it.

I think I just overcame a GAS attack. It’s just a mater of time before the next one hits.

warren0728
April 29th, 2006, 08:54 AM
cool tim...reading the manual...who woulda thunk it :D

hey i think we are due for a get together!

ww

tot_Ou_tard
May 4th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Well a guy can change his mind can't he?!?

I've picked up a Tonelab & decided to send the Zoom G2 back. I am using this primarily for headphone practice.

Here's the scoop:

1) Noise: Zoom wins hands down, that sucker is quiet.

2) Amp models: Zoom has some nice sounding ones, but the depth & feel & richness of the Tonelab's is incredible next to the Zoom's.

3) Size: this is a tie. The Zoom is small and portable (batteries!) but that means that the same knobs are used for everything. It's a little too fiddly dealing with it. The Tonelab is big & heavy but you gotta love them chicken-head knobs!

4) I haven't put the effects through enough paces to know the difference, but I'm keeping the Tonelab for the feel of the Amp models.

SuperSwede
May 5th, 2006, 04:15 AM
tot, the presets are not that good in the tonelab.. I recommend that you tweak, tweak and then tweak again.. You can achieve great sounds with the tonelab, but unfortunately it doesnt show it the preset patches... I took me a few weeks before I really understood all functions. And READ THE MANUAL. I did not at first, and there was a lot of Aha!´s when I finally did.

tot_Ou_tard
May 5th, 2006, 05:43 AM
tot, the presets are not that good in the tonelab.. I recommend that you tweak, tweak and then tweak again.. You can achieve great sounds with the tonelab, but unfortunately it doesnt show it the preset patches... I took me a few weeks before I really understood all functions. And READ THE MANUAL. I did not at first, and there was a lot of Aha!´s when I finally did.
I haven't even listened to one preset yet. I am familiar with the format due to my AD30VT so I put it immediately into manual mode & started tweaking.

SuperSwede
May 5th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Ok, its very handy to have the manual nearby, because the controls does different things on different amps.

tot_Ou_tard
May 5th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Ok, its very handy to have the manual nearby, because the controls does different things on different amps.
SS do you get model dependent buzz through your headphones even with no guitar attached? On the high gain models I cannot even completely dial out the buzz using NR. I'm trying to figure out if I got one with a noisy tube or other problem, or is this to be expected.

Justaguyin_nc
September 21st, 2006, 11:25 PM
Thanks to a few PMs with Spuds, I have decided not to purchase the Zoom g2u.1. I have been playing around with my V-Amp2 and I have re-read the manual.

I know old post..but...

Tim.. I had the V-Amp2 and gave it away... and this might be just new gear glow...but A friend has lent me his Zoom G2.. it blows the V-amp2 away IMHO... and it is silent.. when used with the noise gates/znr.. I am definately going to buy one.. I am really enjoying the different Distortions.. the compressor and all work great.. thru either my Champ or the little tube amp.. and it don't mind pedals in front of it either.. there is a peavey 5150 in there that will rip your head off... one thing I found out.. play with the EQ alot.. and you can tell the difference in every click of the dial... also in the different guitars used... just my opinion.. but I think zoom got a nice deal going here.. but then I liked the old zoom 707 pedals to....

Seems to be getting pretty good reviews all over.. http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Zoom/G2/10/1

SuperSwede
September 22nd, 2006, 02:40 AM
SS do you get model dependent buzz through your headphones even with no guitar attached? On the high gain models I cannot even completely dial out the buzz using NR. I'm trying to figure out if I got one with a noisy tube or other problem, or is this to be expected.

I must have missed this post, sorry Tot! No, mine is dead silent when no guitar is plugged in. Even with the US Higain/Recto settings at full whack.. I know you changed the tube in yours, did it help?

tot_Ou_tard
September 22nd, 2006, 06:42 AM
I must have missed this post, sorry Tot! No, mine is dead silent when no guitar is plugged in. Even with the US Higain/Recto settings at full whack.. I know you changed the tube in yours, did it help?
I sent that Tonelab back a long time ago & got a new one. This one worked much better (must'a been a wonky tube). I've had no problems & I love it.

I changed the tube to a gold pin JJ ECC803s just fer laughs. I got it from Eurotubes with balanced triodes. I thought that it couldn't hurt since the Valvereactor uses one triode for push & one for pull on the class AB models.

It sounds great t'me.

Nelskie
September 22nd, 2006, 06:45 AM
I am really enjoying the different Distortions.. the compressor and all work great.. thru either my Champ or the little tube amp.. and it don't mind pedals in front of it either.. there is a peavey 5150 in there that will rip your head off... one thing I found out.. play with the EQ alot.. and you can tell the difference in every click of the dial... also in the different guitars used... just my opinion.. but I think zoom got a nice deal going here.. but then I liked the old zoom 707 pedals to....
I've had my G2 for about a year now, and it hasn't missed a beat. Great little effects processing pedal. I do agree with the Spudman that some of the tones are a little bit digital-sounding. But that's something I've learned to work around with by using some other pedals to enhance overall effect. As Justa mentions, it doesn't get fussy when chained with other pedals. As such, I often use the Bad Monkey to "warm up" a few of the higher distortion models. Takes the "edge" off the hi-gain stuff very nicely. The bank of clean tones are what I use most often (the Fender Tweed sim is really good), and again, lining it up with the BM works wonderfully. Justa' is also right on by mentioning the importance of the EQ adjustment parameters, esp. when using different guitars. If you spend some time with it, chances are good that you'll find some great tones to use. And when you do - zam! - save 'em to memory. Nice.

Really, for $100, this pedal has a lot of useful tones and features.

Justaguyin_nc
September 25th, 2006, 11:54 AM
The bank of clean tones are what I use most often (the Fender Tweed sim is really good)

I like the clean..and this MFX box is so silent... but... if I still rolled one.. I could listen to the Distortion all day on this thing.. I never had any MFX box yet that can scream like this thing.. ofcourse thats all subjective isn't it..

Ok I don't roll ... but being drunk..these still sound good loop'n in my head.. listen to this... I am sure no one will buy one after ...lol

I got to quit doing this stuff.. Peavey 5150 (included in $99.00 Zoom G2) , fender MIM 60's strat bridge (Few Hundred for whole geetar) .. me ruining it..(priceless!!)

SuperSwede
September 26th, 2006, 02:48 AM
Well Justa, that kind of chainsaw distorsion actually appeals to some people... :D

Justaguyin_nc
September 26th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Well Justa, that kind of chainsaw distorsion actually appeals to some people... :D

heh... ummm a little to much distortion maybe? That's whats nice about this place.. even when your messing.. no one is gonna say anything... I noticed Nelskie said he takes the edge off..I figured I would put some on..:) oh you got to loop it like 10 times with your eyes close..it starts to grow on ya...

SuperSwede
September 26th, 2006, 09:45 AM
You should record that with 50% less distorsion Justa, its going to be a hit song.

tot_Ou_tard
September 26th, 2006, 03:00 PM
You should record that with 50% less distorsion Justa, its going to be a hit song.
Yeah, I can see the jewel case

A big red sticker reading:

Now with 50% less DISTORTION!!!!!!

Spudman
September 26th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Yeah, I can see the jewel case

A big red sticker reading:

Now with 50% less DISTORTION!!!!!!

I guess you'd have to be careful how it was presented because if you say "distortion lite" or "lite distortion" you can be sued later by the people that got too much distortion because they thought "lite" was OK for them and listened to it twice as much.:D

I thought the sound was a little on the edgy side. Cool but a little harsh. Try less distortion and let some of the guitar's tone come through.

Justaguyin_nc
September 27th, 2006, 12:17 AM
I thought the sound was a little on the edgy side. Cool but a little harsh. Try less distortion and let some of the guitar's tone come through.

But..But I can't... it would stiffle my creative juices... :R

Ahh the Zoom G2.. all the Distortion one would want.. and then some..

Nelskie
November 10th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Played at an open jam last nite - a low key affair with some cats who like the blues. Friend of a friend kind of thing, at the invitation of mutual playing acquaintance. It's something I'd been meaning to do all summer, but of course, was saddled with other activities. I arrived to find out that the core players were all friendly gray-hairs, which I hadn't originally expected. As I was setting up my rig, the dude playing bass pro-offered the comment, "just so you know, we don't do any Nirvana", which elicited some chuckles from the other guys. I re-assured them that my playing repetoir would be more than satisfactory for their needs, and quipped back, "might even show you pros a thing or two."

One of the guitarists that was playing with us was using a PODxt Live floor console, which he had running through a smaller, budget PA set-up that he purchased from MF. The other guy was using a Fender Blues Jr., which he had mic'ed with a single SM-57 through the regular PA. Since I hadn't been in the mood to haul any serious gear, but wanted to have some different tones on tap, I decided to take my Valve Jr. head, my 112E 12" cab, my TS-9, and my Zoom G2. With my guitar gig-bag backpack, it was one trip from the car to the stage.

We ran through a set comprised mostly of blues standards - Muddy, Howlin', The Hook, John Mayall, old Yardbirds, Allmans, SRV, Hendrix, etc. - even some Johnny Cash. The mix was nice, and no one was trying to blast anyone else out of the picture with volume, which in turn allowed for some excellent exploratory landscape. The thing I found most interesting was the interplay between the two modeling rigs, and the guy playing the Blues Jr. I used the Fender Tweed Clean and Blackface models almost exclusively, and with the Valve Jr. head acting as a tube pre-amp of a sort, the tone I was getting was right on the money (in a modeling sense, that is.) The TS-9 allowed me the option of adding a but of juice here and there, and its tone control was an effective EQ if I needed a little more bite to cut through the mix (even though the two settings I used were EQ'ed spot-on to begin with) . The guy with the Blues Jr. seemed especially impressed with the tone I was getting. I rolled out the Soldano model for the closer - "Train Kept A' Rollin", and we whipped the regulars into frenzy - or as much frenzy as a dozen semi-intoxicated people can make. :D

Even though everything was played at very moderate volume (cuz' its a very small, narrow, and long room), my Valve Jr. head kept up quite well with the other rigs - even un-mic'ed. I ran it about 2-4 o'clock most of the night, and it didn't fuss one bit. The Zoom G2 was mouse quiet, and my P-90 Epi Les Paul offered me plenty of tonal flexibilty. The guys I played with were both fantastic players, and mixed things up quite frequently by changing p'up positions, which was very cool in the sense that someone was almost always playing somewhere different (p'up position-wise) on each and every song - just trying to add color to the overall sound. The other thing that was great was that they both liked to play rhythm, and never over-played their leads - something I often hard to do when playing very basic stuff. We seemed to find a tasty groove on every number we played.

Following the jam, we had some interesting discussion about gear over a few cold brews. Both guitarists appeared very excited at the prospects of the next open jam two weeks from now. It was funny to me that they were so enthralled at the fact that a youngster like me (yeah, a 40-year old youngster) had such a keen appreciation for older blues stuff. You should've seen the smiles on their faces when I suggested songs like "Black Coffee", "Red Rooster" and "Killing Floor".

Overall, I'd have to say that the G2 / Valve Jr. combo is a very effective one. It's almost seems like they were tailor-made for each other. I was also happy that I'd finally had a chace to use the Jr. in a live setting - - proving to me that it, too, likes to breathe deeply and let its hair down every once in awhile. For smaller clubs and outdoor venues, though, it'll definitely need to be mic'ed. But for smaller-sized jam sessions like this one - it's just about perfect.

All-in-all, it looks like I have a new *secret weapon* (shhhhhh - don't tell anyone). ;)

SuperSwede
November 11th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Wow! I wish that we had that kind of happenings here.
A P90 guitar seems like the perfect choice for the kind of music that were favoured at that jam night. Record something for us next time!