PDA

View Full Version : Classic Vibe: I cannot decide

Guitar-Chris
September 27th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Hello!

Perhaps i will sell one of my guitars this afternoon.

So, as GAS has taken control over me, I'm looking for one of the classic vibe strats. But I cannot decide: Take the 56's or the 50's. I now listend to all of the youtube videos. The 50's looks the way a strat should look and has this realy nice clear tone. The 60s is therefore much warmer.

Has anyone soundclips of those? With this videos it's hard to tell the last differences. And i have to order them, because none of the stores here have them. And I don't want to send them back afterwards.

Before you give me the tip: No, I cannot buy oth of them ;)

Moshe
September 27th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Well, the 60's strat has AlNiCo V pups so they have more output. They will sound a little fatter with distortion but not quite as good clean in my opinion.

Guitar-Chris
September 27th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Well, the 60's strat has AlNiCo V pups so they have more output. They will sound a little fatter with distortion but not quite as good clean in my opinion.

Thank's Moshe, I share this opinion.

ZMAN
September 27th, 2008, 07:53 AM
I have done some research on the pickups. If you look at the wiring diagram and parts list for the two guitars they have the same part number.
I sent an email to Fender and they said that they share the same number except that the 50s have an alnico 3 magnets and the 60s a Alnico 5.
Also one of the members on the FDP measured the output and this was his findings.

50's: Bridge=6.0K
middle=6.0K
Neck=5.7K

60's: Bridge=6.7K
Middle=6.3K
Neck=6.0K
I also printed both parts lists and they are basically the same guitar with a different pickguard and the different magnets and neck.
I have the 50s CV and I just love it. It is what a Classic Strat should look like.
It sounds like a 50s Strat where the magnets have weakened to give it a sweet tone.
If you want to go with the SRV vibe then the 60s is for you.
Hope this helps.

Guitar-Chris
September 27th, 2008, 08:05 AM
I have the 50s CV and I just love it. It is what a Classic Strat should look like.
It sounds like a 50s Strat where the magnets have weakened to give it a sweet tone.
If you want to go with the SRV vibe then the 60s is for you.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for this detailes information.

I loke the tone of a 50's strat very much. I have other guitars for punching rock, therefore I think I will go for the 50's strat.

Spudman
September 27th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I think the 50s is the way to go but why not get both and end the dilemma? Sell or return whichever you don't like.

Rocket
September 27th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I like that little Duo-Sonic... if it wasn't a Squier I think I'd buy it just to have one.

Guitar-Chris
September 27th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I think the 50s is the way to go but why not get both and end the dilemma? Sell or return whichever you don't like.

You are able to not like a strat? I'm not :-)