PDA

View Full Version : The Gig Rig is All Dialed In!

Plank_Spanker
September 28th, 2008, 04:00 PM
After much experimentation and some dubious engineering, I finally have my A/B rig set and dialed in. I'm running the Germino and my Johnson JM150. It is so good to have the Germino back in the game. :D The amp sounds amazing. I run it clean with a chorus and a reverb, with a ToneBone Trimode for distortion. The amp has a beautiful distortion all its own, but I have to crank it a bit to get it and it's just too loud for the bars we've been playing. I'm still using the Hot Plate set on the first notch of attenuation. Anything more than that squashes the sound too much.

I stack the Johnson behind and above the Germino on two beer crates imported from Germany ( LOL! ) and the fit is perfect. I have a couple of Gilmour style lead patches loaded in the amp and that's all it gets used for. I'm A/B'ing the amps with a Framptone amp switcher - a real jewel.

It took me a little while to get used to running a traditional pedal board again. I got spoiled just selecting patches with a foot controller on the Johnson. I'm only running 3 pedals and I still have to be quick footed on a few tunes to switch the FX. I really don't see how guys do it with a four acre pedal board.

Here's a pic from last night's gig. Disregard my hundred mile stare - I have no idea what I was thinking or looking at.........:D

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/axepilot/100_1490.jpg

Katastrophe
September 28th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Awesome! Looks like you've solved the real estate problem. I never get tired of looking at that Les Paul.:AOK:

BTW, your bass players Hartke cab is awesome as well. Aluminum speaker cones rule for bass!

Algonquin
September 28th, 2008, 04:24 PM
That's a great pic plank... even with the 100 mile stare :D
Real estate is definatly at a premium on your stage, but your setup fits the bill nicely. Is the mega phone part of the nightly set, or is this a little onstage imovisation?

Spudman
September 28th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Here's a pic from last night's gig. Disregard my hundred mile stare - I have no idea what I was thinking or looking at.........:D

I've seen that look before. It's the 3rd set 'pickled pigs feet' look. What your body is saying is "I'm hungry." What your mind is saying is "what the heck there is only pickled pigs feet here to eat. I should have eaten before I left the house. Damn! Can I really eat one of those? I'm starving."

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/axepilot/100_1490.jpg

Algonquin
September 28th, 2008, 06:52 PM
I'd love to hear more about the Framptone A/B you're using. There's a lot of hit and miss reviews on other A/B's out there, but this one seems to get good reviews. Not sure if you've already posted anything, but would be very interesed in your opinion.

Cheers,
David

Plank_Spanker
September 29th, 2008, 04:20 AM
Is the mega phone part of the nightly set, or is this a little onstage imovisation?

It looks like we're doing a STP or Collective Soul tune. The singer uses that for "Heavy" and "Sex Type Thing".

As for the Framptone, it's been bulletproof for me. No signal loss when running both amps, no ground loop hum, and it has a phase reversal switch in case you encounter phasing problems. The switching is stone cold quiet and smooth, and it runs off of a Boss power supply. The downside - it's not cheap, but I needed some thing that really works every time.

Here's the link:

http://www.frampton.com/switcher.html