PDA

View Full Version : I would like to solo

The_Shredinator21
September 28th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Im trying to figure out how to solo. I can do somethings but they arent like super fast or anything. To solo do i have to learn scales and such or is just improvision. Does just playing fast and hitting the right notes in improvised solos come like 2nd nature after learning them good? Could i have some tips on shredding like my name says lol. thx

pes_laul
September 28th, 2008, 04:34 PM
pretty much if you learn the minor penatonic you can play like any solo.

to "shred" you just have to play really fast.

like when I do that I just play the minor penatonic really fast fowards and backwards. also I mix the dorian scale in my solos

Rocket
September 28th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Forget shredding (for now anyway)... get a good musical foundation to build on & learn notation as well as tablature. Acquire proper tools... then build.
You wouldn't jump into an Indy car & race before learning to drive... right?

piebaldpython
September 28th, 2008, 06:46 PM
What Rocket said; and in spades!!! :rockon: It's not HOW many notes you play; it's WHICH notes you play that make the difference.

Katastrophe
September 28th, 2008, 07:15 PM
If you want to shred, you're gonna have to start slow. First, learn how to properly set up your guitar, including intonation, truss rod adjustments, and general maintenance.

Most shredders don't play out of whack guitars with mile high action.

Secondly, grab a video series on rhythm playing. Learn to play as tight and precise as you can. Soloing sucks without a good rhythm foundation.

Next, acquire a metronome. Grab some scale books and learn every pattern you can, S-L-O-W-L-Y, and with the most efficient technique possible. Ever watch an Yngwie video? He's shredding, but it looks like his fingers are hardly moving. That's efficient playing.

Finally, put aside hours every day (Steve Vai used to have a 10 hour practice schedule) and spend it learning how to be fast.

Or, you could jam with friends, have them show you some stuff, and play with feeling. Learn a little at a time and don't rush it. You'll find that your vocabulary will grow.

marnold
September 28th, 2008, 09:46 PM
If you want to learn to shred, check out the Speed Kills/Lives series of DVDs from Michael Angelo Batio, available via Metal Method (http://www.metalmethod.com). Might as well learn from the best!

player
September 28th, 2008, 11:02 PM
If you want to shred, you're gonna have to start slow. First, learn how to properly set up your guitar, including intonation, truss rod adjustments, and general maintenance.

Most shredders don't play out of whack guitars with mile high action.

Secondly, grab a video series on rhythm playing. Learn to play as tight and precise as you can. Soloing sucks without a good rhythm foundation.

Next, acquire a metronome. Grab some scale books and learn every pattern you can, S-L-O-W-L-Y, and with the most efficient technique possible. Ever watch an Yngwie video? He's shredding, but it looks like his fingers are hardly moving. That's efficient playing.

Finally, put aside hours every day (Steve Vai used to have a 10 hour practice schedule) and spend it learning how to be fast.

Or, you could jam with friends, have them show you some stuff, and play with feeling. Learn a little at a time and don't rush it. You'll find that your vocabulary will grow.

double diitto there about a metronome and playing slow to start.ultimately Slow is good and when you get something down clean and good slowly bump the beat up a little and repeat the process.this IS how good lead guitarists get to be good as they are having been one myself.can still cut good chops out of almost anything at any given moment.I'm not great but do not play like yesterday's news either.really good lead guitarists also know how to incorporate rhythm into their leads as part of it however like learning lead(solos) themselves it takes time.No not terribly long just adequate time in guitar time.accuracy before speed always is a good rule of thumb to remember.good example:Kiim Simmonds of Savoy Brown on the tune Louisiana Blues where lead and rhythm combine.started many moons ago with a Ventures LP .i.e. Walk Don't Run,etc.been doing my own thang since:D
other than that advice thus far is solid:AOK:

Strat Vader
September 29th, 2008, 07:49 PM
What every one said! Great and sage advice. Also when attempting to play a solo, try and play melodically. When practicing alone, sing the notes to yourself while playing them. This is great ear training.

On any cheapo recorder, record yourself playing some chord changes. Then go back and practice playing a melody on top of what you've just played. Never let your fingers do the walking...always try to hear what your playing.

Good luck! :dude:

Andy
September 30th, 2008, 06:37 AM
I totally agree the key to "shredding" is starting out slow and a metronome is crucial. you will also notice that with people like malmsteen ,michael angelo ...you can hear every note clearly. that is the main thing about shredding ... many people can shread , but it's ultra important for each note to ring out as cleanly as possible. if you miss even a note or two,your going to fast.

It's all about >>clarity<<< and there are several crucial components to making each note clear + economy picking,muting, the gear ,the guitar, how you position your hands, finger strength ,dexterity, the ability to cleanly hammer and pull strings(with your fretting hand). it takes years of practice, there is no way around it..

best advice is learn to solo well and cleanly, before you tackle shredding.
start out slow and learn to do it correctly. from dvd's or lessons.

If you start out doing things the "wrong" way, it will be hard to correct down the road so definately learn the correct techniques from the start. It will make a huge difference down the road

Glacies
September 30th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I've only been playing a few months myself but I mastered all the pentatonic patterns and got very comfortable with playing them backwards and forwards at multiple positions. Then I learned how to bend and slide them, listened to a few of my slower favorites and now I can improv pretty enjoyably to a steady beat or rythym. I'm not Angus Young soloing, just kind of easy feeling blues/jazz soloing and I find it very satisfying. Your mileage may vary.

pes_laul
September 30th, 2008, 02:30 PM
What every one said! Great and sage advice. Also when attempting to play a solo, try and play melodically. When practicing alone, sing the notes to yourself while playing them. This is great ear training.

On any cheapo recorder, record yourself playing some chord changes. Then go back and practice playing a melody on top of what you've just played. Never let your fingers do the walking...always try to hear what your playing.

Good luck! :dude:
yeah dont do what i do. I have this problem when I start to "shred" I'll just start playing the minor penatonic or the dorian really fast and hope it sounds good.

melody is the best thing you can learn:dude:

fensonpaulcaster
October 23rd, 2008, 09:49 PM
Im trying to figure out how to solo. I can do somethings but they arent like super fast or anything. To solo do i have to learn scales and such or is just improvision. Does just playing fast and hitting the right notes in improvised solos come like 2nd nature after learning them good? Could i have some tips on shredding like my name says lol. thx

Well hmm

I'm actually surprisingly good at improv. I would suggest learning the entire A pentatonic scale, and then practicing going through it and then just make up licks, and add in arpeggios and turn arounds. It will come as second nature once you start getting licks and then you understand how it works as improv. Its not that hard once you get the hang of it. Keep trying.

Its also a big help to learn other soloes first. Good ones are back in black and Stairway to heaven. They're both on the pentatonic, and they're medium difficulty. Try to inccorporate licks from those into your soloes.