PDA

View Full Version : New old fella' from Oz

sledger
September 29th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Hi from Australia.
My background is a rock God wannabe :o (well...)
But life happened instead.
I learned a few chords and a few songs but that was it.

20 years later met a bunch of guys to jam with which rekindled my interest and was great - I actually found I could sing in tune!

Then life happened again and I've been away from it for more than ten years this time.

Recently got the urge to relax (with an ax) so bought a fat strat and AC30VT. Beautiful sounds from both.
Now I'm trying to find as much time (as is possible) to get back into it.
I want to learn more blues lead stuff and while I have learned a couple pentatonic and blues scale patterns my biggest problem is right hand pick accuracy, I keep missing the right darn string!! :thwap:

Any tips?

Cheers

warren0728
September 29th, 2008, 04:58 PM
welcome sledger....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake:

note: this welcome copyrighted 2008...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

tunghaichuan
September 29th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Welcome to The Fret. :AOK:

tung

Spudman
September 29th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Welcome sledger :wave:

Robert
September 29th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Welcome sledger, you found the right place to be!

sledger
September 29th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Hey thanks for the warm welcome :)

I just have to find time to go through the forum as well as everything else now.

(I'm sure days are no longer 24 hours long!)

luvmyshiner
September 29th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Welcome aboard!

Algonquin
September 29th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Welcome to the Fret.
Cheers :beer:

just strum
September 29th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Welcome. I believe there are a few here from the land down under. I think you will enjoy yourself here, just be cautious of Canadians.

sunvalleylaw
September 29th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Welcome Sledger! Lots of fun and knowledge to be found here. Have fun!

evenkeel
September 29th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Welcome to the gang. Nice bunch of folks. Enjoy!! :D

The Boss
September 29th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Welcome, sledger. I'm an Aussie too - Melburnian, to be specific. :D

Strat Vader
September 29th, 2008, 07:31 PM
my biggest problem is right hand pick accuracy, I keep missing the right darn string!! Any tips?

Welcome!

I suggest a simple, but effective excercise to get your picking hand lined up with the strings. Using alternate picking and using one finger per fret, play chromatically on each string (ascending) 1234 then (descending) 4321

Start on your low E string beginning with the F note i.e. F F# G G# jump to the A string Bb B C C# and continue across the board to the high E string. Once there just descend in reverse order. Move up in half steps trying to play as evenly as possible.

Play very slowly at first, working your way up the fingerboard. After only a short time you'll be able to play this drill quickly. Also I suggest a medium to low action.

Do this every day for fifteen minutes or so, and soon you'll be zipping up and down the neck without getting hung up. Hope this helps. Take care!

duhvoodooman
September 29th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Welcome to The Fret, Sledger. We're happy to have you aboard! :AOK: :bravo: :beer:

sledger
September 29th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Wow so many welcomes :)
Thanks again guys.. I'll certainly be checking The Fret as often as I can.

Thanks Strat Vader for the excercise tips.
I kind'a do something like that now, but not for nearly long enough I admit.
Too impatient probably ;)

Teleblaster
September 30th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Hey
Welcome to the forum. I'm a newb too but they do a great job of making you feel like part of the gang right away here! My first electric was a fat strat. Enjoy one of the most versatile guitars ever made!

SuperSwede
September 30th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Welcome!

mrmudcat
September 30th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Welcome!

Strat Vader
September 30th, 2008, 10:03 AM
"Thanks Strat Vader for the excercise tips."

Most welcome mate! Give this one a try some time and play it slowly. This kind of stuff is very helpful, once you've got it under your fingers.

Brian Krashpad
October 2nd, 2008, 01:19 PM
G'day mate!

Welcome.

I'm the last guy to give anyone tips on accuracy. ;) Unless it's pouring beers or something.

scgmhawk
October 2nd, 2008, 08:13 PM
Cheers, Mate! :beer: