PDA

View Full Version : new to the fret

Andy
September 30th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Hi , annother new member,
I've been searching the net for a place that is somewhat layed back, this seems to be it.
I'm 45 yrs old, recieved my first guitar at the age of 9 and never put it down
I inherited my older brothers electric and amp at 12

During my highschool years I played guitar in the school stage/Jazz band and studied classical .

I have been playing/gigging nonstop ever since.
I moved to Nashville in 1981, and started working as a studio musician in 85 (and playing in several bands that never quite made that big leap).
I have opened localy for several major artists from Marylin Manson to Kings X.
managed a few bands, worked odd jobs in studios, anything that keep me around music basically.

I have played everything from metal to southern rock to classic rock to a little country.
My heart lies in the classic late 60's thru 70's music.

I went thru a burnout / resting period from about 2001 - 2006.
In the last couple years I built a small home studio mainly for personel use.
and have been working on improving my abilitys as a guitarist.
(I still practice every day)

I still do studio/demo work for a few studios around town and have produced a few demo's at my home studio lately.
I still do the occasional vfw gig or whatever else pops up, when someone needs a guitarist

I couldn't begin to list all the gear I have used thru the years.

As far as gigging gear,at one point I was using anything from my fender twin,peavey deuce,fender bandmaster,marshall single stack up to 2 marshall full stacks, but have pared that down to a single early 70's head and cab.I still own an original 5150 combo as well.(that gear is stored for the time being).

My active home use amps are a vox P10,modded valve JR head, Gallien Krueger stereo lead head, and traynor 50w.(and a pod 2.0 w/floorboard).
and various cabinets.

I have played nearly every imaginable guitar as well thru the years, my current gear is an 85 les paul (59ri), Hamer standard flametop,Ibanez Iceman,Takamine,charvel Jackson, and today I should be recieving a xaviere xv-600 to tinker with. I'm also currently checking the local craigslist for an older strat to replace my mid 70's model.

I try to hang out at annother very large music forum(HC) , and there are some talented people there but I found I could not contribute much.
either I'm too old or my common sense mentality doesn't fit todays younger world. so I didn't spend much time posting, more or less alot of :thwap:

I guess the only strong opinion I have is that no amount of money spent on gear will substitute for practicing, practicing, practicing.
I also wish that more young beginning players would consider lessons more important than a $300 fuzz pedal.

thats about it, and I got my general opinion out of my system here so that pretty well sums me up

I look forward to hanging out and chatting now and than.

Algonquin
September 30th, 2008, 06:25 AM
I guess the only strong opinion I have is that no amount of money spent on gear will substitute for practicing, practicing, practicing.

100% in agreement with you there Andy!

Welcome to the FRET.
Cheers :beer:

warren0728
September 30th, 2008, 06:38 AM
welcome andy....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake:

note: this welcome copyrighted 2008...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

sunvalleylaw
September 30th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Welcome Andy! I am also 45, nearly 46, actually, and though I played piano as kid, did not pick up guitar until a few years ago. Your thoughts here and on other posts I have seen already are very welcome. I would love to hasten the learning curve, but good ol' practice seems to generate the best results. I will look forward to your comments!

SuperSwede
September 30th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Hello and welcome to the Fret.net

mrmudcat
September 30th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Welcome

Spudman
September 30th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Hi ya Andy.:wave:
Your expertise will be greatly appreciated around here. Make yourself at home.

just strum
September 30th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Welcome Andy, your background is impressive. I'm one of the beginners here, two years and life gets in the way of practice, practice, practice - but I never give up.

I have gotten good at buying guitars over the two years.

duhvoodooman
September 30th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Welcome to The Fret, Andy. Sounds like you have a wealth of great experience! Glad to have you with us. :AOK: :dude: :beer:

And, BTW, if you need a good fuzz pedal, I can make you one for only $125! ;) :D

ted s
September 30th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Welcome Andy, good advise there.

ET335
September 30th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Welcome Andy!!:beer:

tot_Ou_tard
September 30th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Welcome Andy!

No time to hang around & chat. I've got a train to catch...er, I mean I've gotta go practice.

Robert
September 30th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Welcome Andy, glad to have you here! Sounds like you will be a great asset here. :AOK:

stingx
October 1st, 2008, 05:46 AM
http://bestsmileys.com/welcome/15.gif

Andy
October 1st, 2008, 06:43 AM
thanks for all the welcomes ! and Voodoo....:AOK:
I may take you up on the fuzz pedal..

scgmhawk
October 1st, 2008, 10:58 AM
Welcome Andy! Cheers from another 40 "something"! :beer:

Brian Krashpad
October 2nd, 2008, 01:17 PM
Welcome Andy!

Your Hamer is an Explorer-type, no? Is your Iceman one of the old setnecks?

tunghaichuan
October 2nd, 2008, 01:30 PM
Welcom Andy. This is a great place with lots of cool people. :beer:

tung

Andy
October 2nd, 2008, 01:42 PM
Welcome Andy!

Your Hamer is an Explorer-type, no? Is your Iceman one of the old setnecks?

unfortunately the iceman is a bolt on and I have it apart right now..it's my frankenstein.

heres a pic of the Hamer

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/stymye/Les%20Paul/hamerstd.jpg

tunghaichuan
October 2nd, 2008, 01:43 PM
Is that a modded Valve Junior in the background? If so what mods have you done to it?

tung

unfortunately the iceman is a bolt on and I have it apart right now..it's my frankenstein.

heres a pic of the Hamer

Andy
October 2nd, 2008, 01:56 PM
yes ! good eye..It has a bitmo brat knob added for tone and pull for gain(lots of gain I should say). also a jj and tungsol tube swap and some caps or resisters changed ..(I forget now)..

It sounds amazing thru the ladyluck spkr,, I plan to buy annother matching cab. (I really like the lady luck spkrs.). than I can run a mini-stack,or in stereo

tunghaichuan
October 2nd, 2008, 02:04 PM
yes ! good eye..It has a bitmo brat knob added for tone and pull for gain(lots of gain I should say). also a jj and tungsol tube swap and some caps or resisters changed ..(I forget now)..

It sounds amazing thru the ladyluck spkr,, I plan to buy annother matching cab. (I really like the lady luck spkrs.). than I can run a mini-stack,or in stereo

Cool. I've modded a few of thos Valve Juniors. They sound much better with a few parts changes.

Here's my mini stack:

http://www.diycustomamps.com/images/VJ_stack.jpg

I had to make a parallel box so that I could hook up both 8 ohm speakers in parallel and then plug them into the 4-ohm output on the VJ.

Here's another head on the two RSA cabs:

http://www.diycustomamps.com/images/BH_stack.jpg

Luckily, the BH head has two 4 ohm inputs to hook up two 8 ohm cabs, no parallel box needed.

I wish I had picked up a couple of those VJ cabs back when they were $129, now they are $149. :reallymad:

tung

Strat Vader
October 2nd, 2008, 02:05 PM
I also wish that more young beginning players would consider lessons more important than a $300 fuzz pedal.

Well said my friend! Welcome to the boards. You are very well-spoken and I think you'll like it at The Fret. These are very nice folks here.

oldguy
October 4th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Welcome to TheFret! Nice introduction also. Make yourself at home, I'm sure many here will appreciate your knowledge and experience. :)

Brian Krashpad
October 5th, 2008, 07:29 AM

heres a pic of the Hamer

That looks great, one of the MIK's?

Teleman77
October 7th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Cool, another old............I mean "seasoned" player!:beer:

Welcome aboard.

Andy
October 7th, 2008, 05:10 PM
thanks , yes I turned the big 46 today

Spudman
October 7th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Happy birthday fellow Libra.:beer:

warren0728
October 7th, 2008, 06:53 PM
thanks , yes I turned the big 46 today
hey happy birthday!! have some birthday pancakes.... :pancake: :beer:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/3547509ad01148b.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=127)

ww

Guitar Gal
October 7th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Nice to have you here Andy and happy birthday too :bravo:

Always great to have another Libra in the bunch :AOK:

GG

piebaldpython
October 7th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Welcome aboard Andy. Nice intro and NICE gear too. Yep, I'm the beginning of the Libras and evidently there's a boatload of us. :D