PDA

View Full Version : Iacta alea est!

Brian Krashpad
September 30th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Yes, the die is cast, comrades.

I haven't been playing in a long time, since neither of my side bands, Dynamite Charade and Hoyt and the Hotheads, have been doing much of anything lately. Crash Pad only exists on paper. I was trying to give CP a go with some young kids who were a lot of work to ride herd on, and it got to be more work than fun. Since we all know there's no money in this, there was no point in not having fun with it.

Anyhow, here's what's up, Crash Pad got an invite to be on a local benefit compliation CD, for the homeless charity called the HOME Van. Crash Pad was on the prior HOME Van comp several years ago (as were the Hotheads) and in addition to helping out a worthy cause it was fun to just have a song out on an actual CD.

Obviously since there really isn't a "Crash Pad" right now, I can either do some "acoustic version" of something by myself, or get together some crackerjack musos and rock it out proper. I'm hoping to maybe even work up a setlist and play an occasional show-- I'm sure there's going to be a show for the HOME Van comp to publicize it, at an absolute minimum, and that would be fun to try and get on the bill, as it will no doubt be well-publicized and well-attended.

The rhythm section from Dynamite Charade had previously expressed some interest in doing some stuff together outside of DC, so I've asked if they want in. This is maybe kinda a hare-brained scheme, but I'm itching to play again and this comp thing came out of the blue, so I'm hoping God/Karma/etc. is trying to tell me to get back in the game, at least a little.

One way or another I'ma find some local place to do a recording of some kind for this CD. I'll pay for making the recording as my contribution to the charity, so all the other guys (if they come on board) need to do is learn the material and have fun.

warren0728
September 30th, 2008, 07:55 AM
sounds like fun brian....if i was still in gainesville i would love to help out....keep us posted on your progress! :beer:

ww

marnold
September 30th, 2008, 08:15 AM
First of all: sweet use of Latin. +1

Second, I've got four words for you: free-form jazz odyssey!

Brian Krashpad
September 30th, 2008, 08:53 AM
First of all: sweet use of Latin. +1

Second, I've got four words for you: free-form jazz odyssey!

Wait, wouldn't that require me actually learning some jazz chords? :D

The song I'm going to do for the CD is called Labor Day, and it's my first overtly political song that Crash Pad has done. Chorus includes the refrain "Don't piss on me and tell me that it's raining." If I quote any more of the lyric I'll no doubt violate our rule about no politics. ;)

Spudman
September 30th, 2008, 09:02 AM
That sounds like a lot of fun. I hope it turns out well. If you need a lead track you can send me the cut and I'll be happy to lay down something for you...free of charge of course since it's for charity .

warren0728
September 30th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Wait, wouldn't that require me actually learning some jazz chords?
aren't there some jazz power chords? :poke: :rotflmao:

ww

Brian Krashpad
September 30th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Thanks Spud. Live, we've been playing it with no lead. What I'll probably do is have a rhtythm electric track, a rhythm 12-string track, and a "lead" that's not a lead (just some melodic hook) played under throughout.

I'd really like some gang/football chant vocals for the backing on the choruses, I'm sure if I bring enough beer to the studio I'll be able to talk a batch of people into it.

Spudman
September 30th, 2008, 10:25 AM
How about taking a recorder to you kid's school and getting the chorus to do it?

Brian Krashpad
September 30th, 2008, 10:28 AM
How about taking a recorder to you kid's school and getting the chorus to do it?

Am thinking they may balk at having their kids sing a leftist punk rock workers' anthem with the word "piss" featured prominantly in each chorus. :D

Spudman
September 30th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Am thinking they may balk at having their kids sing a leftist punk rock workers' anthem with the word "piss" featured prominantly in each chorus. :D

Then they are certainly being short sighted.:D

Brian Krashpad
September 30th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Then they are certainly being short sighted.:D

True dat.

tot_Ou_tard
October 1st, 2008, 05:35 AM
Wait, wouldn't that require me actually learning some jazz chords? :D

Just emphasize the "free-form" part ;)

Good luck Brian!

Brian Krashpad
October 1st, 2008, 06:50 AM
Just emphasize the "free-form" part ;)

Good luck Brian!

Thanks. I heard back from the bassist, and he's not in. Now I have to hear from the drummer. If he's not up for it I will go to plan B and draft the Hotheads' drummer and go from there.

Katastrophe
October 1st, 2008, 03:59 PM
Dude, go the acoustic route! Nothing says "worker's anthem" like a lone acoustic, urgent vocals and lyrics with the word "piss" included!:D

It worked for Tom Morello and his "Nightwatchman" gig...

sunvalleylaw
October 1st, 2008, 04:44 PM
Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Some good raw punk sounds beat out of an acoustic sounds great!

evenkeel
October 1st, 2008, 04:47 PM
Sounds terrific. I can't imagine why your bass player would not want to jump onboard. What could be bad? Make some great music, raise money for a terrific cause.

Hope it all works out. :master: :D

Brian Krashpad
October 1st, 2008, 04:57 PM
Dude, go the acoustic route! Nothing says "worker's anthem" like a lone acoustic, urgent vocals and lyrics with the word "piss" included!:D

It worked for Tom Morello and his "Nightwatchman" gig...

Doing something solo would be a huge step for me though. Although I learmed to play on acoustic and my first "public" performances were in small interdeminational high school youth group (Young Life) meetings, at which I sang (along with everyone else), I've never ever done an acoustic gig. I'm well aware of my limitations as a singer, which is a reason I ended up doing punk rock (although it was mainly because I liked punk rock), and also a reason I developed my somewhat idiosynchratic writing style (I write my songs a capella and then figure them out on guitar later-- the result being I cannot write something I cannot sing, at least to the extent I can sing at all).

I do like the IDEA of me just singing with an acoustic (my 6-string is tinny as hell so I'd use my 12-er), I'm not sure the concept would pan out in real life.
:D