PDA

View Full Version : wild guitar strap

Steve206
October 3rd, 2008, 09:11 PM
Hello folks,,

Every evening, I take old Bob, the golden retriever mix, out on a walk that passes by a large pond, located on church land. The pond is large enough to hold fish and birds and is a nice little piece of the florida wetland ecosystem, at work in a neighborhood.

I have been watching a small alligator grow to almost six feet in length these last few years. I know that these animals are prehistoric and stupid and perfect. I just have a nagging feeling that a 6 ft gator is not the best thing to have in the small sub-division.

For one thing, there are small children living on the block. There are homeowners who have small dogs and a few of them own cats.

Not trying to be really wierd, but I pick up a rock, each time I start on my walk around the lake. I would say that five times out of seven, I see the Gator and throw the rock at his head. It has been four months and I have hit the thing three times.

My plan is to make his spot unnattractive and hazordous to his health. I would like for him to move on.

Then, I started to think about how nice, a locally sourced, alligator guitar strap, would look, and that is what I think about every time I throw a rock at this animal.

They are no longer on the endangered species list and if the opportunity presents itself, without too much trouble, I will be going for a Gator Guitar Strap.

Steve

Isopeanut
October 4th, 2008, 12:34 AM
I'm sure you have something different in mind, but here is my 'gator' strap..Or it might be a croc, I could never remember the difference.http://pdxdonuts.com/pics/strap.jpg

Spudman
October 4th, 2008, 08:47 AM
You'd better hope that the gator isn't a guitar player or you might have to start ducking rocks yourself.:D

ShortBuSX
October 4th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Im a native of Florida, Ive lived here my entire life. And although Im not an environmentalist, tree hugger, reptile fan or alligator lover...I am disappointed with your behavior in this regard, in that you should know better.
But you know, its Florida...all sorts of people from all over the country(even the world) move here to retire...and I'll admit it, Floridians arent always the smartest. And it wouldnt surprise me if some lil ol lady or old man is secretly feeding this alligator...its been known to happen before. I just hope for your sake that this alligator doesnt get so comfortable around people that decides to EAT YOUR FREAKING DOG!

You know, wanting an alligator guitar strap isnt a bad thing...buy one, big deal, but WTF does that have to do with chucking rocks at an alligators head??? If you want rid of this alligator that badly, then be a responsible adult about it and call somebody to have it removed. There are plenty of professional, even state agencies that will come out for free to collect this alligator and remove it from your neighborhood, for free!

Go buy your guitar strap, but leave the wildlife alone...its not like you are Crocodile Dundee and youre going to hit it in the head, then jump in the water to claim your new found guitar strap. [edit]But then again, this is Florida...maybe you ARE redneck enough to do so *shrug*

Im sorry if this has been a preachy lecture...I just think you need to leave your "nice little piece of the florida wetland ecosystem" the way you found it:thwap:

ShortBuSX
October 5th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Sorry to kill your thread...Im an opinionated jerk...what can I say?:thwap:

Plank_Spanker
October 5th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Sorry to kill your thread...Im an opinionated jerk...what can I say?:thwap:

I wouldn't say "jerk"..................but you've never been known to hold back here............:AOK:

Brian Krashpad
October 5th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Although they're not endagered you still have to get a permit to take gators. There's an annual hunting season during which only licensed hunters can take them, and even then iirc the methods of hunting are regulated. Outside that, only animal control/state (Dept of Nat. Resouces/Fl. Game & Freshwater Fish Commn)/fed (park rangers, etc.)/law enforcement people can take gators.

ShortBuSX
October 5th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I wouldn't say "jerk"..................but you've never been known to hold back here............:AOK:

I reckon I have a hard time agreeing just for the sake of agreeing all the time, and often it seems like thats the theme around here. Kinda like nobody posts a response, unless its in almost total agreement to the original poster.

I think this topic could have easily gone on 2 pages without anybody bringing up the moral issue...sorry, Im that guy.

warren0728
October 5th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Kinda like nobody posts a response, unless its in almost total agreement to the original poster.
i disagree.... :poke: :rotflmao:

ww

wingsdad
October 5th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Steve,

I'm thinking you meant this topic/post as some kind of a joke :poke:

But, in case not, if after 6 years that gator is a threat to the children and cats of your neighborhood (and perhaps even to old Bob, should he go with his retriever instincts and stray too close to the edge chasing one of those birds :eek: ), then I'd think that by now one of your neighbors would have called to have him moved. Unless, of course, they believe he's a viable, natural part of that ecosystem.

That said, now...let's do a little math :whatever: :

... I would say that five times out of seven, I see the Gator and throw the rock at his head. It has been four months and I have hit the thing three times. ...

4 months = c. 17 weeks
5 rock tosses per 7 day week
17 weeks x 5 = 85 attempts
3 hits/85 attempts = 3.5% accuracy

:thwap:

... if the opportunity presents itself, without too much trouble, I will be going for a Gator Guitar Strap.

With an .035 Batting Average, unless you can get close enough to heave a bowling ball without losing an arm or leg, I'd say you have about as much chance of scoring that Gator Guitar Strap as 98% of Major League Baseball Pitchers do of hitting a walkoff Grand Salami in the bottom of the 9th.

:rolleyes:

Plank_Spanker
October 5th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I reckon I have a hard time agreeing just for the sake of agreeing all the time, and often it seems like thats the theme around here. Kinda like nobody posts a response, unless its in almost total agreement to the original poster.

I think this topic could have easily gone on 2 pages without anybody bringing up the moral issue...sorry, Im that guy.

And that is why I like reading your responses. I don't think that there's robotic agreement here....................you and I have certainly disagreed in the past.

No need to justify your posts, man.............:D