PDA

View Full Version : Individual Pedals versus Modeling Guitar Processor

just strum
October 3rd, 2008, 09:37 PM
For those that have owned both, what are the pros and cons of pedals versus modeling guitar processor?

I like the convenience and cost of something like an RP350 (what I have at the moment). It offers a large selection of effects - so why are pedals so popular?

GREENMACHINE
October 4th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Hey Strum,
I don't really know why pedals are so popular, but maybe its because you look important of you have 40 pedals lined up infront of you or something.

Laterz,
Cav

marnold
October 4th, 2008, 07:52 AM
My guess is that the main argument you will get is that the digital models don't sound exactly like the original or that the distortion/overdrive models in particular don't hit the amp the same was their analog counterparts will. There's probably some truth in there. The big question is, does it matter to you?

My argument against something like the RP series is that it's rather complicated, especially if all you want is just a Tube Screamer sound. I know that sounds profoundly stupid coming from a computer geek who thinks that Linux is the best thing since shaved ice. My EX-7 has a limited number of effects and settings so it's easy for me to wrap my head around. Plus it's no bigger than a wah. My CF-7's controls are basic chorus controls with a model selector so that's not hard to figure out either.

I suppose if I could use the computer interface for the RP series, I'd enjoy it a lot more. Sadly there is no Linux version available.

I think that modelers are great for getting a wide variety of everything. New guitarists in particular can discover what they like and don't like. If I find an effect I use all the time, I'd probably just get a dedicated pedal, like I did with my overdrive.

Robert
October 4th, 2008, 08:04 AM
For me it is very simple. Pedals just sound BETTER.

just strum
October 4th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Having never used an individual analog pedal, I really have nothing to compare it to. Using the RP with my AD30VT isn't the greatest and I usually hit "bypass", however the RP is great with the Valve Jr. I like the diversity of all the different options it provides in the way of amps, cabs, pedals. There is a lot to it and I am still exploring it.

I do need to use it being interfaced with the computer, but I haven't even attempted to do that. If there is anyone out there that can give me some direction on that, that would be great.

Pedals to me sounds like an expensive route to take. You people here seem to have a good handle on pedals and which ones are good buys (bang for the buck), but it just seems that it can get pretty expensive.

warren0728
October 4th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I do need to use it being interfaced with the computer, but I haven't even attempted to do that. If there is anyone out there that can give me some direction on that, that would be great.
it's really easy....just go to digitech's website and download the software (you might have to do a firmware update to)....install the software....plug yje digitech into the computer and your guitar into the digitech....open the software and have fun....really easy interface! if you have any problems with it just give me a call! :beer:

ww

Robert
October 4th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Pedals don't have to be expensive. The Cool Cats are great and are 30-40 bucks, so is the Bad Monkey, Hot Head, and the list goes on. You don't need that many pedals either (although and addiction can develop - just look at me... :D ).

Tibernius
October 4th, 2008, 08:59 AM
For me it is very simple. Pedals just sound BETTER.

What he said.

I've got a Zoom G2.1u multi-effects unit/pedal, and although it's good I'm going to get a set of separate pedals. The sound is ok, though nowhere near as good as the DigiTech "Screamin' Blues" pedal I also use.

The main problem I've found with it is changing effects. I normally use a Flanger, Wah, Reverb and Amp modelling set to "Marshall style" or "MESA style". And what do I have to do to turn the Flanger off? Swap patches. I can't just turn off the Flanger, like you would with separate pedals.

warren0728
October 4th, 2008, 09:04 AM
The main problem I've found with it is changing effects. I normally use a Flanger, Wah, Reverb and Amp modelling set to "Marshall style" or "MESA style". And what do I have to do to turn the Flanger off? Swap patches. I can't just turn off the Flanger, like you would with separate pedals.
you can do that with the rp series and the computer software (x-edit)

but i agree....separate pedals do sound better....i use the rp mainly as a headphone interface for practicing (and probably for recording directly to my powerbook)....although it does sound pretty good in front of my tube amphs....

ww

tunghaichuan
October 4th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I think that it is easier to tweak individual pedals than software patches. Reach down and adjust the knobs any you're done.

Also, you can swap individual pedals out. Say you don't like your flanger, if you have individual pedals you can just pull it out of the chain and put a new one in. With modelers, if you don't like the flanger, you're out of luck. You're stuck with what you have.

The one thing that I like about the modelers is that if you like having lots of presets and want to take the time to program the presets you can have lots of sounds available with one push of the footswitch. The downside is that the learning curve for programming those units can be pretty steep.

tung

R_of_G
October 4th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I definitely prefer individual pedals. However, I think one positive aspect of a modeler would be for people who aren't all that experienced with effects and still unsure of what pedals do what. Having something that models a wide array of effects allows you to play around with these options so that you can determine which effects do what and which ones get the kind of tones you are seeking. Then you can look into getting quality individual pedals for the effects you like.

just strum
October 4th, 2008, 09:56 AM
...addiction can develop - just look at me... :D ).

That is exactly one of my thoughts. Just what I need, another gear addiction.

Blaze
October 4th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Personnaly, i use 3 or 4 pedals like ts9, rc booster ,Digitech driver and get the modulation effects(Tremolo,,comp, Vibes, Chorus,Octaver ,Delay , Reverb and tuner from a Boss Gt-8 set on the ''manuel mode" (each effect is independant ) in the effects loop.
I also use the footswitch that get me the crunch or boost from the distortion channel of my amp and obviously the clean channel.

I can even play my acoustic in my amp ,having made presets in the gt 8 that works in the same set up..

So a 3 way combination that get me what i need without having 20 pedals or more + wiring & hardware .

Take care

Blazes

hubberjub
October 4th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Pedals for me please. Individual pedals are purpose built. A flanger is built to be a flanger, an overdrive an overdrive etc. When Digitech or Boss or Zoom makes a multi-effect unit they cut corners. It's tough to fit a lot of control into one small box without having to compromise. I have well over $1000 invensted in my pedalboard and have no regrets. I think the multi-effects are great if you're just playing around for fun though.

pes_laul
October 4th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Im with robert on this one though the line six POD live has some pretty brutal tones but then again one of those cost around 400 dollars

t_ross33
October 5th, 2008, 12:03 AM
I use digital mfx in the form of Digitech's GNX3000.

Con: It's never going to sound as good as the "real thing"
Con: Programming can be time consuming

Pro: models are quite good
Pro: can cover lots of genres, styles even specific songs without extensive setup and readjusting on stage, as long as you have a patch setup beforehand
Pro: USB to my laptop for recording
Pro: XLR and 1/4 outs for splitting the signal between my amp and our PA
Pro: one power supply and no batteries
Pro: carrying all the "real" amps and pedals to a gig would be a) heavy and b) expensive
Pro: self contained with no patch cables

I like it. Sure a good tube amp and a board full of "real" pedals would be cool, but my rig gets the job done.

ShortBuSX
October 5th, 2008, 12:39 AM
With the RP200 I had, you couldnt stack more than 3 effects at one time, and the ones that needed real control(like with the expression pedal) you could only use one at a time. I think multi-effects are great when working with solid state(Itd be overkill with an ADxxVT on most points) I think they allow you to work around the SS limits, even your guitars limits...BUT once you get an amp that sounds the way you want an amp to sound, and once you get the guitar that has the tone your after then multi-effects become almost obsolete. BUT are also alot of bang for the buck with chorus/reverb/flange effects...Id use it for that with a nicer (tube)amp, and just ditch all the emulating crap.

I think multi-effects and moddeling amps biggest strong points are that they allow you to find tones that you want, they help you find your tone...but I think they are more of a "gateway" and less of a "be all end all" to great tone.

With a good amp and a good guitar...I dont need chorus, flange, etc...

just strum
October 5th, 2008, 07:06 AM
well, no need for a poll here, it seems real is the deal. While the modeling processors have their place and purpose, determining what pedals fit your needs will provide a better quality sound.

I think that sums it up.

Lev
October 5th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I found that MultiFX are superb for delay, chorus etc but the overdrives and distortions tend to let them down. There's no rule that says you cant use both, currently I'm using my Zoom G2.1 in the FX loop for delays and to EQ my LP when I swap for my strat. I'm using the Cool Cat Drive and Metal infront of the amp for varying degrees of dirt. This setup is working really well for me.

Andy
October 6th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I used alot of rack gear in the past and can say there is some very, very good effects to be had in that realm , and infinately tweakable.

some of the best are lexicon, eventide(and many still easy to find wonders if you know whats what.)in fact some pedals are modeled after some of the patches in effects racks they are nearly untouchable as far as some of the delays,chorusus,and reverbs and some real wacky modulation and harmoniser effects

usually in stereo as well.

I ran mine by midi and had everything stored , it does take some work. and I no longer need that caliber of effects very often. I like the simpler plug and play of pedals. but I still use some of the gear in the studio, it's great for that
I don't care to haul around rack gear to the limited gigs I play lately.

I never got into amp modeling gear tho I would love to have a Vox Tonelab Se or Le. the amp modeling and effects are very good in those units.

just strum
October 14th, 2008, 06:14 PM
you can do that with the rp series and the computer software (x-edit)

but i agree....separate pedals do sound better....i use the rp mainly as a headphone interface for practicing (and probably for recording directly to my powerbook)....although it does sound pretty good in front of my tube amphs....

ww

Now that I have the USB cable, I installed the software for using the RP350 with the laptop - nice!!!

I will mess with it more tomorrow, but boy does that make it easy to make adjustments and tweak the tone.

warren0728
October 14th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Now that I have the USB cable, I installed the software for using the RP350 with the laptop - nice!!!

I will mess with it more tomorrow, but boy does that make it easy to make adjustments and tweak the tone.
yea....and it's nice that you can turn each effect on or off....the interface makes the rp a pleasure to work with!

ww

just strum
October 14th, 2008, 06:26 PM
yea....and it's nice that you can turn each effect on or off....the interface makes the rp a pleasure to work with!

ww

Sure does. the only thing that threw me, if I unplug or plug in any device, the Dung/Dong noise that you get from plugging in peripherals comes through the speaker which happened to be cranked all the way up the first time it happened.