PDA

View Full Version : Is this a real scale?

PassIt
June 6th, 2006, 03:03 PM
I was fooling around on my guitar the other day and I kinda of found this weird scale. I dunno if its real or not but it sure sounds awesome! It has an egyptian vibe to it. It looks like this when tabbed out:
e:--------------------------------------------12-16-17-------------------
b:-------------------------------------12-15------------------------------
g:------------------------------13-14-------------------------------------
d:--------------------12-14-15-------------------------------------------
a:----------12-14-15-----------------------------------------------------
e:-12-13-16--------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for writing it in tab, some of you may think tabs are unholy, its just i coudltn think of any other way lol

duhvoodooman
June 6th, 2006, 04:03 PM
God bless the Scale Calculator (http://jguitar.com/scale?root=E&scale=Phrygian-Dominant&fret=12&labels=letter&notes=sharps) at JGuitar.com. You left out a couple of notes, but what you have there is E Phrygian Dominant at the 12th fret. Might turn out to be a couple of other scales, too, working from a different root, but this one matches up. The repeating note sequence is:

E-F-G#-A-B-C-D

You left out the second occurrence of C (B string, fret 13) and the third F (high E string, 13th fret).

t_ross33
June 6th, 2006, 04:09 PM
All hail the TAB! TAB and internet access have sure changed the way I approach learning to tame this beast. Now if I just had time to practice and apply all the knowlege that's out there.....

Cool scale, and cool site (JGuitar.com). Man, I love this place!

Trev

duhvoodooman
June 6th, 2006, 07:06 PM
It is also the A Harmonic Minor scale, played from the 12th fret. This scale has the same notes as E Phrygian Dominant (select both on the JGuitar Scale Calculator, and you'll see what I mean), which is considered to be "the fifth mode of the minor harmonic scale, the fifth being the dominant" (Wikipedia).

Man, the web sure is cool!! :cool:

PassIt
June 6th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Lol yep the web sure is pretty handy.
Thanks for the help with the scale man

Looks like I cant name it the PassIt scale anymore though :(