PDA

View Full Version : $300 blonde BJ day!!!

ShortBuSX
October 4th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Ever since I scored my Deville Ive been trying to tame it for household use...Id considered an attenuator for weeks before I came to the conclusion that the money for an attenuator might be better spent purchasing a used Blues Jr to accomodate my bedroom sessions instead.
Once I realized that was what I wanted Ive been actively searching the Craigslist for a good deal on one...for the last 3 months:thwap:
And whats worse, is that while searching Craigslist...you cant un-see a great deal...even if it isnt what youre really searching for...such as a $100 MIJ Strat...or $225 MIM sunburst:thwap:
And when you see a "deal" on Craigslsit you gotta act fast! So Ive been searching 3 times a day for, like I said, months.
Well yesterday just after lunch I finally saw the sign Id been waiting for

Fender Blues Junior tube amp - $300

No picture included, just the description:

Up for sale is my Fender Blues Junior tube amp ,this is in great shape and sells new for a lot more,great tube sound for blues and also has reverb for those Peter Green,Clapton sounds

The ad posted at 12:45 and I began blowing his phone up @ 1:15 until he returned my call @ 3pm...we made arrangements to meet at his place bout 6pm, hed recieved several others just as anxious as I, but their calls came after hed agreed to meet with me...yeah!

ON a side note, Id already made special dinner plans with my girlfriend out of town for the evening...but this chic is soooo awesome that she was more than willing to go with me to meet this guy on the way to dinner, 1/2 hour, out of the way to dinner. And just so yall know, this is the same awesome chic that reassured me that I should go back and purchase that Deville...and the MIM burst...and the MIJ! Very supportive...even if the rest of the world thinks Im insaine with my "guitar associated spending"...Im very lucky!:master:

So we meet with the guy...walk in the door and am greeted by a USA made Blonda Blues Jr with hang tags! Totally expected the standard Hotrod black tolex...his ad made no mention of the blonde with leather strap! Niiiiice!
He even let me play his 52ri Tele through it...SOLD!!!

BTW, pics are forthcoming!
And the reason being, this is a 5 year old amp and the blonde tolex is kinda dirty, with a tiny lil hole in the front...part of me is tempted to clean 'er up and make her new looking...and then the other part of me thinks Id be wiping away all the added mojo...so I AM curious to get opinions.

warren0728
October 4th, 2008, 02:33 PM
ON a side note, Id already made special dinner plans with my girlfriend out of town for the evening...but this chic is soooo awesome that she was more than willing to go with me to meet this guy on the way to dinner, 1/2 hour, out of the way to dinner. And just so yall know, this is the same awesome chic that reassured me that I should go back and purchase that Deville...and the MIM burst...and the MIJ! Very supportive...even if the rest of the world thinks Im insaine with my "guitar associated spending"...Im very lucky!:master:

part of me is tempted to clean 'er up and make her new looking...and then the other part of me thinks Id be wiping away all the added mojo...so I AM curious to get opinions.
the heck with opinions....does your girlfriend have a sister! :beer:

ok....as for cleaning her up....if it looks dirty i say clean it....if it looks worn then maybe keep as is for the mojoness (i think i just invented a new word)!

ww

Katastrophe
October 4th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Great score!

Your girlfriend gets, many, many cool points for being understanding. You could clean it up, replace the grill cloth, and lacquer the tweed. That would end up looking way cool.

HOWEVER...

I say keep it the way it is. Spend the time more wisely, by playing!:AOK:

Spudman
October 4th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Congrats. :AOK: :beer:

piebaldpython
October 4th, 2008, 03:46 PM
HEY SHORT.........with a title like $300 BLONDE BJ........I though I had stumbled onto a totally "different" site.......:D .......nice score BTW.....while some of our brethren think that your girlfriend is way COOL......so long as she STAYS your girlfriend, she'll be COOL.........all the while trying to REEL you in......thinkin' that your GAS money might very well become "HONEY BUY ME THIS OR THAT" money....I've seen that happen to too many pals........now if she plays guitar and she still encourages you to sate your GAS attack......then buy all means, MARRY her.....:master:

tot_Ou_tard
October 4th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Yeah the title of this thread had me chuckling too.

Great score ShortBUS & triple cool beans for the girlfriend. :AOK:

just strum
October 4th, 2008, 05:45 PM
...maybe keep as is for the mojoness (i think i just invented a new word)!

ww

Sorry, but I'm sure Bush has used it at some point in his 8 years.

ShortBuSX
October 4th, 2008, 11:44 PM
HEY SHORT.........with a title like $300 BLONDE BJ........I though I had stumbled onto a totally "different" site.......

Yeah the title of this thread had me chuckling too.

What can I say, this stuff writes itself...its like one of those crazy attention grabbing newspaper headlines.

the heck with opinions....does your girlfriend have a sister! :beer:

Yeah she does, although shes married...BUT she does live in Orlando, meh.:thwap:

You could clean it up, replace the grill cloth, and lacquer the tweed. That would end up looking way cool.

I say keep it the way it is. Spend the time more wisely, by playing!:AOK:

I wish it was tweed!:thwap:
OF course I was curious if the blonde had any differences with the hotrod black Jr, so I looked this up...and it kinda explains the difference between blonde and tweed too.

What is the difference between the standard Fender Blues Junior and the Blonde Fender Blues Junior?
There is not much of a difference between the standard Blues Junior and the Blonde Blues Junior. In fact, the only difference is that the Blonde Blues Junior has blonde tolex to give it a vintage tweed look. Other than that these two amps are identical. And they both have amazing tube tone.
So the only difference is tweed is waaaay cooler looking!:thwap:
Im thinking the above is a good reason to keep it dirty(and not clean 'er up)...to give it more of that worn faded tweed look.

HEY SHORT.........your girlfriend, she'll be......thinkin' that your GAS money might very well become "HONEY BUY ME THIS OR THAT" money....I've seen that happen to too many pals.

Nah, this ones not like that, surprisingly...but yeah, I know the type, Ive seen it too. She was actually trying to talk me out of the expensive steak dinner wed planned for last night, saying she thought it "cost too much"...but the amp purchase? ...very supportive!:AOK:

BTW, had a great night with the amp(and GF), I'll post more tomorrow...and pics too:AOK:

warren0728
October 5th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Yeah she does, although shes married...BUT she does live in Orlando, meh.:thwap:
happily? :rotflmao: ;)

enjoy that amp....you got a good deal on it! :AOK:

ww

M29
October 5th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Awesome deal, I can feel the texture of that dirty blond from here...:D Pics, pics...:poke:

ShortBuSX
October 5th, 2008, 05:11 PM
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/ShortBuSX/100_2132.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/ShortBuSX/100_2119.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/ShortBuSX/100_2123.jpg
Currently I find the upside down numbers annoying
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/ShortBuSX/100_2129.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/ShortBuSX/100_2127.jpg
This is just about the only nick in the tolex, but the rest of it is just as dirty and scuffed
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/ShortBuSX/100_2135.jpg

And this is me and mah honey a couple of weeks ago on my birthday
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/ShortBuSX/TaraUno.jpg
Ive been pretty damn lucky lately!:master:

marnold
October 5th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Ive been pretty damn lucky lately!:master:
I would agree! Congrats on both counts!

Kazz
October 5th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Yes....but would she throw rocks at an alligator?

ShortBuSX
October 6th, 2008, 01:13 PM
This is a slight down side to my new blonde...with this amph I get no lush reverbs! I think there is something wrong with the pan, now that Ive got a BJ it seems the reverb is the weakest link and this is common, I found this page that discusses repairing the reverb (http://home.comcast.net/~machrone/bjr/fixreverb.htm) by fixng the wires that go into it...I tried it, after using an ohm meter to find out which wire was the culprit, I thought Id fixed it after testing it with the meter again. I got it all buttoned up but still no lush reverbs on this amph! I think maybe my polarity is wrong, I'll try flipping the wires on a couple of times to see if thats any help.
When I rake the springs I can hear a lil shimmer through the amph, but thats it.
The RCAs seem fine, when I touch the black one I hear a strong buzz that indicates that end is working...I measured both with he amp off and the both get readings.
Aside from buying a new reverb tank (https://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/item.asp?pid=21380&pg=45003&id=4040105)...I dont know what else to look at or consider.

Aside from that, even without the reverb working...lovin this amp...I stayed up till 2am last night getting a lil further acquainted.

warren0728
October 6th, 2008, 01:29 PM
a new reverb tank looks like a pretty cheap fix....

ww

sunvalleylaw
October 6th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I hope the reverb tank works out, and congrats on all the rest! I personally would lightly clean it up, just cause I would want to add my own dirt later, but that is just me. Glad you made that score!

ShortBuSX
October 6th, 2008, 01:57 PM
a new reverb tank looks like a pretty cheap fix....

Riiiight?!
Yeah as a matter of fact I just got off the phone, ordered the above mentioned Ruby tank...and $100 worth of new tubes.:thwap:

I personally would lightly clean it up, just cause I would want to add my own dirt later, but that is just me.

Yeah, I kinda wanna wipe it down with a muddy rag :rotflmao:

warren0728
October 6th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Riiiight?!
Yeah as a matter of fact I just got off the phone, ordered the above mentioned Ruby tank...and $100 worth of new tubes.:thwap:
well....it would have been cheap....if you didn't get the tubes!! :poke:

ww

sunvalleylaw
October 6th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Riiiight?!

Yeah, I kinda wipe it down with a muddy rag :rotflmao:

Maybe your chain lube rag would give a nice effect. Some Dumonde Tech, along with some good trail dirt, gives good results I think. ;)

EDIT: I personally think it is cool that between this application and Spud's re-use of old chain links to build pedal boards, we can in corporate cycling into the guitar world. :D

ShortBuSX
October 6th, 2008, 04:54 PM
well....it would have been cheap....if you didn't get the tubes!! :poke:

BUt tubes are sooo much fun!!!!:bravo:

I bought 2 JJ EL84s matched...but then I bought a slew of 12AX7s to mix and match. Torres has a nice Blues Jr tube recipe (http://www.torresengineering.com/bfobljrfe.html), Im not such a fan of his(I wouldnt buy from him) but figure he might know something, so I bought all of those same tubes from TubeDepot(and saved money) but then bought 3 other JJ 12AX7 to help me find the right combo...what doesnt work out here may work nicely in my Deville. 8 tubes for $100 aint so bad...its all about flavor and seasoning!:pancake:

ShortBuSX
October 8th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Sa-weeeet-ta! New tube day!
They arrived in less than 48 hours! :AOK:
Tubedepot rocks!:rockon:

The reverb tank didnt arrive yet(from Mojo-tone), but it should be here tomorrow.

ShortBuSX
October 9th, 2008, 10:18 AM
The reverb arrived early this morning, Im really anxious to get this hooked up...although Im gonna wait to install my new tubes, I really wanna get an ear for what Im changing out versus what Im putting in. And even though I know new tubes are gonna improve the tone...it just sounds so flippin good right now, I cant imagine how it could improve.

Over the last week Ive been looking online for Blues Jr sites...and I gotta say Im kinda disappointed in the few sites Ive found. BillM's page is alright if you wanna jump right into mods...to bad there isnt a page like Justin's Hotrod pages.

Im really looking for printable top panel diagrams but Im coming up empty.

ShortBuSX
October 9th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Went home at lunch, you know its hard to wait...I didnt get to take it for a test drive for long, but I did get the new Ruby tank hooked up...it works nicely:bravo: Doesnt take much on the dial, I found 2 a pleasant level and anything more to be a bit much. I cant really compair this new one to the old one much, but this one works, and that is better!

aeolian
October 9th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Nice score!

I've cleaned up an old amp and a guitar case with a damp rag and then go over them with ArmorAll. Looks new after I'm done.

tunghaichuan
October 9th, 2008, 01:48 PM
...although Im gonna wait to install my new tubes, I really wanna get an ear for what Im changing out versus what Im putting in. And even though I know new tubes are gonna improve the tone...it just sounds so flippin good right now, I cant imagine how it could improve.

Over the last week Ive been looking online for Blues Jr sites...and I gotta say Im kinda disappointed in the few sites Ive found. BillM's page is alright if you wanna jump right into mods...to bad there isnt a page like Justin's Hotrod pages.

Im really looking for printable top panel diagrams but Im coming up empty.

Are you going to do the full adjustable bias mods on BillM's site? If it were my amp I'd probably just do the simple bias mod as listed at the bottom of the bias mods page. Simple, easy and your tubes will last longer.

tung

ShortBuSX
October 9th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Are you going to do the full adjustable bias mods on BillM's site? If it were my amp I'd probably just do the simple bias mod as listed at the bottom of the bias mods page. Simple, easy and your tubes will last longer.

tung

Im thinking simpler is better, I like the way it sounds but I dont like the idea of the power tubes getting that much heat. I dont think I mind the bias(non adjustable) so much but I do think Id like to do that "power stiffening mod" if its what I think it is...doesnt that kind of accomplish the same thing? Theres no bias test point on this amp, so I wont likely be biasing it myself anyways...I just figure I'll have a tech install the correct resistor(s) to get it right where I want it.

Something along the lines of this:

You can bring any BJr much closer to its proper operating point by changing the resistors in the bias voltage divider. This isn't nearly as good as having adjustable bias, but it's way better than the factory values. The stock bias resistors in a green board BJr are R31 and R37, 22K and 33K respectively. (In the cream board, they're designated R52 and R51, also 22K and 33K respectively.) Leave the 33K alone and change the 22K resistor changed to 27K or 30K. The 27K should bring your C- voltage up to around -12.5V from the -10V factory setting, and will cause the tubes to dissipate somewhere between 8 and 9 watts at idle. The 30K resistor in place of the 22K will give you around -13V, which will give you clean, incisive tone. Going too cold makes the amp sound a little cold and gritty, but with as little as-1.9 or-2V voltage drop across the transformer, you can have an extended clean range--very respectable jazz tone.

I may have my tech do the "tone stack mod" while hes in there...just to get somekind of tonal advantage out of the service...but for the most part I want to leave it original and un-muttered. BUt I think I need to do something to keep from burning up tubes or worse the transformer.

ShortBuSX
October 21st, 2008, 06:45 AM
Its taken me awhile to post this, but heres a pic of my new Ruby tank(the black one) and the Accutronics(OEM, gold one). The Ruby isnt much to look at, but it works! I didnt find many options for replacement tanks, it was either Ruby or Accutronics, and apparently the Accutronics have issues for some reason. Id still like to try and fix the OEM one, I think the issue is the wire clips, so I may solder them dirrectly, the Ruby tank works great, so I dunno when Id get around to it.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/ShortBuSX/100_2137.jpg

BTW, I still havent gotten around to replacing all the tubes. I keep plugging it in with the intent of getting a good ear for it...but then she sounds so good that I become content just to play through it as is....but Ive got the next couple days off and my roommate is out of town, so I may tinker round with it then.

duhvoodooman
October 21st, 2008, 08:38 AM

tung
I did three of the BillM mods on my Blues Junior and liked them all--

The Twin stack mod (http://home.comcast.net/~machrone/bjr/twinstack.htm): Absurdly simple--just jumper two legs on the Mids pot; makes the tone stack work like the Twin Reverb's, with a greater range of control on the mids.
The Tone Stack mod (http://home.comcast.net./~machrone/bjr/bjtone.htm): Nearly as easy; just change two caps to better balance the low-end against the high. Fills out the BJr's tone and greatly reduces it's tendency to sound boxy.
The "Simple/Adjustable" Bias mod: I e-mailed Bill and asked if he had instructions to do an in-between mod for tube bias. I didn't see a need for being able to adjust both power tube bias values independently, but I wanted more control than just soldering in a replacement resistor for R52. Sure enough, he had instructions for a single trimpot installation that lets you adjust the bias for both tubes simultaneously. Much simpler installation than the dual-pot mod! Since most of us buy power tubes in matched pairs anyway, this seemed more than adequate to me. If anybody wants a copy, PM me and I'll e-mail it to you. It's for the newer (mid-2001 and later) version of the BJr, with the cream-colored PCB.

More details and a photo available HERE (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=6838).

Though it's not really a "mod" per se, I also changed out the stock Eminence speaker for a Jensen C12N (http://www.svvintageamps.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=95) to get that vintage shimmery Fender/Jensen tone. This is the speaker that Fender puts in the upscale Tweed NOS version of the BJr. Sounds just killer played clean with single coil guitars.

scorona
October 21st, 2008, 11:05 AM
DVM - would you happen to have any sound clips before and after the speaker swap? I'd be interested to hear the difference.

Thanks,
Sam

duhvoodooman
October 21st, 2008, 11:34 AM
Sorry, Sam--didn't do a "before" and "after" on the speaker change.

tunghaichuan
October 21st, 2008, 11:37 AM
I did three of the BillM mods on my Blues Junior and liked them all--

The "Simple/Adjustable" Bias mod: I e-mailed Bill and asked if he had instructions to do an in-between mod for tube bias. I didn't see a need for being able to adjust both power tube bias values independently, but I wanted more control than just soldering in a replacement resistor for R52. Sure enough, he had instructions for a single trimpot installation that lets you adjust the bias for both tubes simultaneously. Much simpler installation than the dual-pot mod! Since most of us buy power tubes in matched pairs anyway, this seemed more than adequate to me. If anybody wants a copy, PM me and I'll e-mail it to you. It's for the newer (mid-2001 and later) version of the BJr, with the cream-colored PCB.

IMHO, there really is no reason to match power tubes in a guitar amp circuit. Just buy a matched set from a repuatable dealer. I've heard some techs say that guitar amps sound better with slightly mismatched tubes (5-10mA). Besides, Fender used to just grab two or four tubes and stick them in the amp and called it good. They didn't worry about matching. Although at the time, RCA Blackplate tubes were readily available and they were made to much tighter tolerances than modern production tubes.

The only advantage I can see for the individual biasing scheme is if you have two tubes that are way mismatched.

Also keep in mind that the individual tubes do age differently, even ones from the same batch.

tung

ShortBuSX
October 21st, 2008, 12:04 PM
The only advantage I can see for the individual biasing scheme is if you have two tubes that are way mismatched.

Bill's site suggests its good if the tubes are too well matched as well...like if you wanted that slightly mismatched tone. :thwap:

Tone2TheBone
October 21st, 2008, 03:23 PM
I have a Blues Junior with a couple of the Billm mods too. I bought the amp from some guy who did the cool mod with the one resistor swap. It's a lot clearer sounding from a stock BJ with that mod. I myself did the twin stack. Easy to do and makes the mid knob more useable. I also swapped out the stock Eminence for 2 speaker choices...one being the Jensen C12N and the other a Warehouse Guitar Speakers Veteran 30 (a Celestion Vintage 30 knockoff). I agree that the Jensen C12N produces absurdly good Fender clean tones but I found for my purposes that I prefer the sound of the WGS Veteran 30 because I like to play with some overdrive and all out distortion and the Jensen (to my ears) was too shrill. Anyway FWIW....

ShortBuSX
October 21st, 2008, 03:51 PM
Im glad to finally see some BJr talk...I knew a couple of yall had em, but the BJr doesnt seem to get much love here at the fret :confused:

Seems like were all in agreement about the mods to do...looks like Ive got the right plan.

Speaker changes, but no tube swaps? :confused:

And mine was the only one with a bum reverb???

Tone2TheBone
October 21st, 2008, 03:53 PM
Im glad to finally see some BJr talk...I knew a couple of yall had em, but the BJr doesnt seem to get much love here at the fret :confused:

Seems like were all in agreement about the mods to do...looks like Ive got the right plan.

Speaker changes, but no tube swaps? :confused:

And mine was the only one with a bum reverb???

I have lots of love for mine. It loves me back when the amp's pushing past halfway on both the volume and master. Forgot to mention that I have J&J tubes in it. Both power and preamp tubes. Also forgot to mention mine is an American made green board Blues Junior.

ShortBuSX
November 3rd, 2008, 11:26 AM
Took my BJr in on Friday to my tech.
I had him do the TwinStack mod and had him cool the bias down by replacing a resistor.
Works great, cleaned up the tone considerably, but its taking me a minute to get used to the tone stack.
Cost me $40 and I got it back on Saturday...this guy rocks:AOK: