PDA

View Full Version : You want tones?

thearabianmage
October 4th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I posted this diagram up a while back as a future project, and after a good little soldering session, I've finally got it wired up in my guitar! I will say - it is awesome! There are so many sounds and so many variations. I'm already trying to think of other things to add - I think next will be dedicated phase switches for each pup's coils.

Here's a run down of the switches:

The blue switches are series/shunt/parallel switches for the coils of the pups. The orange switch puts the two pups in series and the yellow switch puts them out of phase. The LP toggle is a standard pup selector for the default parallel wiring. The little purple switch is a kill-switch.

I keep losing count everytime I try and tally up the possible variations, but I estimate it around 35-40. Most excellent, although most are subtle variations on others.

Once I get them dedicated phase switches, I think that would cover all variations. Then I would just need dedicated volume and tone knobs. . . Absolute control! What next?

Cheers,

Joe

Spudman
October 4th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Cool. That's a great idea. I've wanted something like that myself but it really makes sense to me more for recording. Playing live I just wanna rock and not have to think too much if I want sound #4 , #18 or #31.

thearabianmage
October 4th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Cool. That's a great idea. I've wanted something like that myself but it really makes sense to me more for recording. Playing live I just wanna rock and not have to think too much if I want sound #4 , #18 or #31.

+1

I know exactly what you mean, though I must say - I think of it less as '#1, #2, etc' and more in terms of 'sound' i.e. series is fatter and bassier - so when I want to do something with walking bass lines or clean chords, I'll go straight to series and make changes as I go. What I find happens, though, is that I get 'favourites' for this and that and just naturally make those changes when I start playing something.

Soloing, for example - recently, I've found that I'm an absolute sucker for series/out of phase soloing. I just love it, so I go straight there when I need to.

But it can get rather daunting trying to find which sound to use. It's sort of like having 280 DVDs - there's so many, which one will I watch? I spend so much time thinking about it, by the time I've chosen, my dinner has gone cold :D

Joe