PDA

View Full Version : How do you prepare for your gigs?

Myles
October 27th, 2005, 02:54 PM
This ain't no jam night at the local pub. It is the big time. Lights and pyrotechniques everywhere and seas of people chanting your name.

Well okay maybe not, but it feels that big. How do you prepare for your really important gigs?

Good nights sleep? Breakfast? Exercise? Call your Mom?!!?

Tone2TheBone
October 28th, 2005, 07:58 AM
For me the most important thing to do was to create a relaxed state of mind. I'd mingle with my friends or with the guys in the group. Laughing and just shooting the bull. If everyone clammed up...I'd get too nervous. I have to talk to someone in order to relax. I'd also bury myself into the PA system or my equipment making sure everything was going to work on cue. Mess around with the stage lighting cans etc. Changing the color gels. Just anything to make myself busy so I wouldn't have time to get nervous. But once you start the first song its all downhill from there. Generally people love music and honestly I think we all know that 90% of the people out there in the audience really wouldn't pick up on mistakes on anything WE AS MUSICIANS PICK UP ON. They think we're great. Knowing that reinforces your confidence level tremendously.

Robert
October 28th, 2005, 08:18 AM
I had a gig last night. How did I prepare... hmm... had home made soup. That's it.
I am not so good at preparing (except for knowing the songs). I like to just show up and go for it. I used to get nervous, but it seems to have faded away. I make mistake all the time, but no one seems to notice!