PDA

View Full Version : Bass Tones (Lakland)

marnold
October 6th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I've often had people ask me what the difference is between a P-bass and J-bass tone, but it's hard to describe in words. Lakland has put up clips for all of their basses (http://www.lakland.com/audio.htm) in various styles/genres using all the pickup combinations they sell both with flatwound and roundwound strings. To top it off, they play the same riffs across each bass for each particular style. So for example, the same slap riff will be played on all the basses, the same hard rock riff, etc. Good stuff. Granted, these are high-end basses with high-end pickups (mainly Fralin) but you get the point.

Duff
October 8th, 2008, 02:46 AM
I like my Jazz bass best, didn't think I would. One of those surprising things. The tone is great; but the neck is just awesome for me: it's thin and narrow which I really like and the controls yield lots of tonal variance, plus I use a Zoom B two point one "u" pedal. Should be able to post some clips with its usb port when I figure out how to do it. I was practicing a neat bass line tonight, kind of "Saint James Infirmary" type thing solo, just from memory and improvisation. That pedal puts out a huge range of sounds. Gives a decent bass a lot of flexibility, quality flexibility, even with stock pups.

I still love P basses though, especially the look, but I seem to prefer the Jazz bass overall. Of course, one of those ESP LTD EC series LP style basses look really great. I like the gloss black one with the two pups, not too expensive either.

I'm saving up for the GC Thanksgiving sale and hoping that it will have some great deals.

Duffy

marnold
October 8th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Same here, Duff. The bass I used to have was a p-bass, so I just assumed I'd prefer a p-bass tone (my bass was a Peavey which had a more Jazz-style neck). The Jazz basses that I've played I've really liked. I especially like how the bridge pickup adds a brightness and pop that is often missing. That's why I thought a P/J would be a good compromise for me.

Duff
October 8th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Marnold,

I almost ordered that dark red and black pickgguard PJ for 119 from Rondo. I like that one. Decided on the Jazz instead. I'm sure that PJ would have been real cool, especially with some GFS pups on it or something like that, maybe a nicer pickguard and a mega bridge or whatever it is called.

That Marshall amp I got was cheap at the list price at the store, matches MF, around 200 I think. Only thirty watts but real cool sounding. I can only imagine what the big ones will sound like. Of course they won't be selling cheap. They might be relatively cheap though.

Good luck with your quest. Thanksgiving is not that far away and who knows, something might be marked down, amp or bass or something else. I might just buy a new P bass Squire.

Duffy