PDA

View Full Version : picking up the tab

warren0728
October 7th, 2008, 01:25 PM
ok....where is a good place to get accurate guitar tablature (and chords)

has anyone tried tabs from this site?

http://www.musicnotes.com/guitartab/

are pay site tabs more accurate than the freebie sites?

thanks,
ww : )

Andy
October 7th, 2008, 01:49 PM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

prettymuch all you could look for

also you can download the freeware "powertab" it's really cool and the site hosts alot of powertabs for songs as well

warren0728
October 7th, 2008, 01:56 PM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

prettymuch all you could look for

also you can download the freeware "powertab" it's really cool and the site hosts alot of powertabs for songs as well
yeah i have that bookmarked....i just wondered how accurate the free site tabs are as apposed to ones available for purchase (like sheet music at music stores, etc.)

ww

Robert
October 7th, 2008, 02:16 PM
In my experience, the tabs sites are horribly inaccurate, generally speaking. Maybe that doesn't matter so much though? As long as you learning something new, you're onto a good thing! :)

R_of_G
October 7th, 2008, 02:16 PM
My experience with the free tablature sites is that (a) they all have, more or less, the same tabs, and (b) they are not always all that accurate. That said, many of them are "close enough" in that while they may not be 100% right, with a little work of your own, you can figure out how to play the songs correctly. I have no experience whatsoever with pay tab sites so I can't comment there.

sunvalleylaw
October 7th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I have never done pay sites, but have paid for sheet music, and try to get the "As Performed" books when I do. I also use the free sites (I just google for the song I am looking for, and either Ultimate Guitar or one of the others tends to pop up), but as a guide to studying hopefully a live performance so I can watch and try to figure out what the artist is doing. Beginning to truly learn the notes of the low E and A strings (for 5th and 6th string root chords) is beginning to help in that process as well. Then you can use your ear and your eyes to check what the tab sites say, or to vary it on your own for your own enjoyment.
My experience with the free tablature sites is that (a) they all have, more or less, the same tabs, and (b) they are not always all that accurate. That said, many of them are "close enough" in that while they may not be 100% right, with a little work of your own, you can figure out how to play the songs correctly. I have no experience whatsoever with pay tab sites so I can't comment there.

marnold
October 7th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Some of the sites are bad, but I've found some good stuff too. Guitar World has a tab site (http://tabs.guitarworld.com/) now. User submitted ones are free and can be voted on. Official GW ones you have to pay for, but they should be as accurate as you are going to get. The selection isn't the greatest yet, but it's relatively new.

Andy
October 7th, 2008, 04:54 PM
the tab sites are good for reference, and I've found thats usually all thats needed in many cases. a good kickstart

just strum
October 7th, 2008, 05:04 PM
The sites are inaccurate, but guess what - so are a lot of the tab books that are for sale. If it sounds good and sounds right, why care about accuracy. Besides, I never end up playing the accurate or inaccurate ones the way they are noted anyways.

Think about this, when a band performs live, do you think they are playing the way it was recorded?

IMHO of course.

warren0728
October 7th, 2008, 05:17 PM
the tab sites are good for reference, and I've found thats usually all thats needed in many cases. a good kickstart
i'm not at a point where i can listen to a song and figure out where on the fretboard or what is being played....i wish i was....

ww

warren0728
October 7th, 2008, 05:18 PM
The sites are inaccurate, but guess what - so are a lot of the tab books that are for sale. If it sounds good and sounds right, why care about accuracy. Besides, I never end up playing the accurate or inaccurate ones the way they are noted anyways.

Think about this, when a band performs live, do you think they are playing the way it was recorded?

IMHO of course.
that's the problem....the tabs i find sometimes don't sound right....that's why i was looking for a better source....

ww

just strum
October 7th, 2008, 05:28 PM
that's the problem....the tabs i find sometimes don't sound right....that's why i was looking for a better source....

ww

I haven't run across any that were so far off that they didn't sound right. When it initially doesn't seem to be right, I find that it's the way I'm playing it.

If you notice when going to the different sites and looking at a specific song, it's the same person submitting the tabs on all of the sites. I find that often. I like the sites that have submittal from various people and then they are rated.

Maybe you should spend a weekend at Spud's house, but don't let any dogs sneak up on you.

warren0728
October 7th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I haven't run across any that were so far off that they didn't sound right. When it initially doesn't seem to be right, I find that it's the way I'm playing it.
i think the lead portions of the tab are pretty close but when i play along to the song using the chords....it doesn't appear to be the right key....the song i am referring to is "soulshine" by warren haynes/gov't mule....

the chord progression is g d c g with an e minor and f thrown in....maybe he was using a capo or something....but then that should throw off the lead tabs too.... :thwap:

ww

just strum
October 7th, 2008, 05:48 PM
i think the lead portions of the tab are pretty close but when i play along to the song using the chords....it doesn't appear to be the right key....the song i am referring to is "soulshine" by warren haynes/gov't mule....

the chord progression is g d c g with an e minor and f thrown in....maybe he was using a capo or something....but then that should throw off the lead tabs too.... :thwap:

ww

Sorry, can't help you. If you listened to my playing, you would feel like a pro.

sunvalleylaw
October 7th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Me neither. I can guess, but not in a way that I feel secure. That is why I like youtube, and a tab to give me a hint. Between the two, a guy can start to narrow it down, and then use an ear.
i'm not at a point where i can listen to a song and figure out where on the fretboard or what is being played....i wish i was....

ww

StrokerAce
October 9th, 2008, 08:27 PM

ww
ive found youtube very useful when it comes to determining the accuracy of a d'loaded tab.

sumitomo
October 10th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Hey Warren if you noodle with the blues mostly check out steviesnacks.com and check out the way he lays out the boxes and how they connect.It has helped me alot,even though he plays mostly Stevie Ray.I now can follow along with BB,Albert ect.and not guess so much.Heck it's free and that's better than a kick in the rear.Sumi:D

warren0728
October 10th, 2008, 10:31 AM
thanks sumi....i'll check it out!

ww

kiteman
November 9th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Lots of times the tabs doesn't tell if there's alternate tuning being used. I've used a lot of tabs and while they're not very accurate sometimes I worked 'em out on my own. I just need the idea of the flow and what progressions then I just toss 'em. I don't even listen to the CDs.

I like working 'em out on my guitar and create a flow. I'm not going to sound like what the original artists intended but still it's music and that's what makes the guitar playing fun.

If it sounds good don't fix it. :dude:

Ch0jin
November 10th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Yup also my experience that a lot of the tabs online are wrong. to make it worse 50 tab sites copy the same tab. Often they have some comment in them like "this might be right but I dunno" and similar.

I use a combination of tab and youtube, or in the case of "classics" I try and find interviews with the guy who played it.

I also use a program called "Guitar Pro" which uses a kind of tab called "Pro Tab" Because it's loads harder to write Pro Tab songs, and you gotta pay for the software (not the tab) I've found people tend to get it right..