PDA

View Full Version : Champ 600 OT tip

tunghaichuan
October 7th, 2008, 07:37 PM
One poster on the Epiphone Forum asked if it would be OK to replace the stock Champ 600 OT with a Version 2 Valve Junior OT. I can't see any reason why this wouldn't work. The V2 VJ OT was probably a Champ OT to begin with with its 7.5K primary. I've seen anywhere from 6.6K to 8K used in Champ circuits.

The VJ OT is slightly larger than the stock Champ 600 OT, so it might be a tight fit.

The nice thing about the VJ OT is that it has 4, 8, and 16 ohm taps so it might be possible to put in a selector to be able to switch between the three. Use the 4 ohm tap for the stock speaker, or the 8 or 16 ohm for a larger speaker/cabinet.

This is one thing I'm definitely going to try when I rebuild my amp.

tung

duhvoodooman
October 7th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Tung, do you ever see the old VJr OT's on eBay? I have two now, and really don't need 'em both. What do you think they're worth?

tunghaichuan
October 7th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I believe there is a eBay seller that sells VJ parts, chassis, OTs, PTs, etc. I can't remember what he sells those for, but I want to say in the $10-$15 range. It is what it is: a cheap Chinese OT. They make great paper weights :D If you ever get the bug to build a tube reverb, those OTs would be great for that. :AOK: Of course, you'd have to build the 6V6-based version.

tung

Tung, do you ever see the old VJr OT's on eBay? I have two now, and really don't need 'em both. What do you think they're worth?

tot_Ou_tard
October 8th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Thanks for the tip tung.

I am definitely going to replace the OT in mine, but I am waiting until I get a cab so that I know what output impedance I'll want.

tunghaichuan
October 8th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the tip tung.

I am definitely going to replace the OT in mine, but I am waiting until I get a cab so that I know what output impedance I'll want.

What cab are you looking at for the Champ?

tung

tot_Ou_tard
October 8th, 2008, 11:10 AM
What cab are you looking at for the Champ?

tung
It hasn't gotten that far yet. I'm not likely to buy one until 2009.

I was looking at Avatar & Ear Candy 1x12's.