PDA

View Full Version : what does "GAS" mean, exactly? i think i had it

StrokerAce
October 7th, 2008, 10:52 PM
i kinda understand by reading some of the related posts, but im not completely sure.

when people talk about the "holy grail" when referring to les pauls they are almost definitely talking about a '59 standard. or thats what ive understood it to be.
but for me the holy grail is different. there was a particular les paul custom that made quite an impression on me some 25 years ago and ive had an itch that just kept getting worse over the years...... until last week. i scratched that damn thing once and for all. :D
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/6343/aa68lpwa1024zv0.jpg

Spudman
October 7th, 2008, 11:28 PM
If you are scratchin' then be careful of a full on infection. Nice guitar BTW.:AOK:

StrokerAce
October 7th, 2008, 11:35 PM
i know you are aware of the symptoms, spud. ive seen the rooftop shot.:bravo:
i hope i can keep it in check.
once i got my hands on this thing i made the statement that "im officially done buying guitars".
and i am.......... probably. for now anyway.
but ya know ive never even played thru a tube amp.

hmmmmmmmmmm.........

to be continued

Kazz
October 8th, 2008, 05:00 AM
If you own that guitar and have never played through a tube amp....well...first off c'mere....so I can smack you at least 3 times...lmao....now go out and get you a Marshall stack so you can enjoy that Les Paul the way it was meant to be enjoyed....or ping me offline so you can buy my Peavey Classic 30 all tube 100% American Man Muscle of Amplification :-)

ted s
October 8th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Dang Stroker, that is a beauti indeed !

Katastrophe
October 8th, 2008, 06:31 AM
GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

You had it, then temporarily cured it, then posted a pic about it. Now you have passed GAS on to the rest of us.:D

Beautiful guitar, StrokerAce. :bravo: :beer:

warren0728
October 8th, 2008, 06:47 AM
that's a real beauty....but you really should give her a tube amp to play through.... :beer: :pancake:

ww

Spudman
October 8th, 2008, 07:17 AM
If you own that guitar and have never played through a tube amp....well...first off c'mere....so I can smack you at least 3 times...

I'll take 3 myself. No tube amph!????

Amp GASsing is a serious condition which is constrained by actually owning a tube amp of decent quality. We all look forward to seeing what amp you come up with. One good one is better than many not-so-good amps.

StrokerAce
October 8th, 2008, 10:52 AM
GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

You had it, then temporarily cured it, then posted a pic about it. Now you have passed GAS on to the rest of us.:D

Beautiful guitar, StrokerAce. :bravo: :beer:
ahhh now it makes sense. thanks for clearing that up. sorry all:)

thanks ted and warren. im head over heels in love! i played this thing for 10 hours the day after i got it and several more everyday since.
it all started when my roommate(the drummer who can barely play 'smoke on the water', mind you) bought a 68RI at GC last summer. i didnt think it was possible to build a more playable guitar(ultra high end excluded) until this PLEK'd beauty came into my life. i cant get over how low the action is. i cant put it down.
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7099/1002081748my0.jpg

Kazz and Spud. please forgive me, IM SORRY!! i have a Line 6 SpiderIII 75 on craigslist as we speak. but it seems like noone on there in my neck of the woods has any money.
i might have to sell the KX because tube amps are DAMN EXPENSIVE!!! well the ones ive been looking at anyway. BUT ill be honest, i almost pulled the trigger on that new Crate V18 yesterday(finally they have them in stock again) until i started thinking Marshall.
im thinking about a Peavey Calssic 30 now too;)
for sale....
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1964/0421071855ic1.jpg

warren0728
October 8th, 2008, 12:24 PM
i might have to sell the KX because tube amps are DAMN EXPENSIVE!!! well the ones ive been looking at anyway.
you can get into a low wattage tube amph for pretty cheap....look at the epi valve jr.'s and the blackhearts....they get pretty loud too....

ww

StrokerAce
October 8th, 2008, 12:48 PM
you can get into a low wattage tube amph for pretty cheap....look at the epi valve jr.'s and the blackhearts....they get pretty loud too....

ww

ill check those out but i know i wont be happy until i have a marshall of some sort and i dont want to fill this house with amps because thats what will happen unless i go for the crown jewel right off the bat! :)