PDA

View Full Version : A Double Ramones Birthday - October 8

R_of_G
October 8th, 2008, 08:30 AM
It's a double for Ramones' birthdays.

First and foremost...

John Cummings, aka Johnny Ramones, was born October 8, 1948. I know some people at this forum are not fond of punk rock, but I also know many are. What I will say is that for a player who played a remarkably small number of leads and solos, Johnny was an exceptionally influential guitar player. He developed a rhythm style that influenced so many players that came afterwards. I know I owe quite a bit to Johnny and I'll never forget how incredibly cool it was to see him do his thing live.

Today is also the birthday of Christopher J. Ward, aka C.J. Ramone (born Oct 8, 1965). C.J. joined the band as bass player in 1989 after the departure of Dee Dee (though Dee Dee continued to write songs for the band). C.J. filled in perfectly, and is responsible for at least one choice of cover song for which I am forever grateful - it was C.J. who suggested the band cover Tom Waits' "I Don't Wanna Grow Up".

So, in honor of Johnny and C.J. I will be listening to my collection of live Ramones shows as well as the entire studio catalog today.

Brian Krashpad
October 8th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Man, Joey, Johnny, and DeeDee gone.

How can I miss people I never met?

But I do.

RIP to them, but a Happy Birthday to CJ.