PDA

View Full Version : Spammer signups are getting worse

Robert
October 8th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I get 60 - 80 spammers signing up per day. It's a pain to deal with - it takes way too much of my time to deal with this crap.

I'm going to try some alternative measures. Let me know if anything on the forum breaks.

just strum
October 8th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I get 60 - 80 spammers signing up per day. It's a pain to deal with - it takes way too much of my time to deal with this crap.

I'm going to try some alternative measures. Let me know if anything on the forum breaks.

I noticed the increase once Shiner joined. He attracts them like flies on....

duhvoodooman
October 8th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Robert, can't you use one of those "type in the letter/number sequence you see displayed in the box" filtering tools I encounter so often for new account sign-ups?

Robert
October 8th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I just added another such thing, VDM. It seems the spammers found a way to break the default image "captcha" (as these things are called) that comes with the forum software.

It is getting harder and harder to stay ahead of these scum bags, and I'm wasting a lot of time on it.

poodlesrule
October 8th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I noticed something on an other forum (ebassist) while doing a search in the non-registered mode: you have to answer a simple musical question before you get your search results.

I thought it was quite good!
Could a similar device help here...?

Robert
October 8th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Already done, poodledude... :)

Jipes
October 9th, 2008, 02:35 AM

We have the same problem on our Blues French forum Robert it's a real pain :reallymad:

Kazz
October 9th, 2008, 05:07 AM
I just added another such thing, VDM. It seems the spammers found a way to break the default image "captcha" (as these things are called) that comes with the forum software.

It is getting harder and harder to stay ahead of these scum bags, and I'm wasting a lot of time on it.

I have had the same issues on the couple of forums I have admin'd. It is a never ending job and we sure thank you for staying on top of it.

Robert
October 9th, 2008, 08:23 AM
I added a new anti-spam feature yesterday. Today only 8 spammers signed up. It used to be 10 times worse! That's improvement.

I am using a method that lets me type in my own questions. I am asking guitar related questions. I guess if a complete beginner wants to sign up and don't know general questions like "what company designed the Stratocaster?", then they would have to Google it or they won't be able to join here.

If you have any good guitar-related questions like this, please let me know! Just don't list the answer here...

Spudman
October 9th, 2008, 08:44 AM
What tuners does the Parker Fly Deluxe use?

What pickups are in the Ibanez Jem guitar?

Who invented a guitar in the 50s that bears his name and is still alive.

Who invented multi track recording?

marnold
October 9th, 2008, 08:48 AM
How much bourbon did Robert consume when I was trying to decide what pickups to buy?

How much does it cost to get an EX-7 pedal through Canadian customs?

How many heavy-metal-loving conservative Lutheran pastors are currently members of The Fret?

If Spud stopped buying guitars would the American economy collapse (more)?

Can you get screaming solos with this ampf?

luvmyshiner
October 9th, 2008, 09:42 AM
How much v**gra does Strummy use on a monthly basis.

Oh wait . . . they might actually know that answer.:poke:

hagarfreak33
October 9th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I'm glad I already joined because i would fail the tests :D As it is those Capcha things drive my eyes nuts and i always have to enter the word twice:rotflmao:

SuperSwede
October 10th, 2008, 10:21 AM
"How many times can you pull the gain knob of the Yamaha JX50 and still get dirt? (of a million possible times)"

warren0728
October 10th, 2008, 10:24 AM
"How many times can you pull the gain knob of the Yamaha JX50 and still get dirt? (of a million possible times)"
oh man....a classic!! :beer: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :beer:

ww

SuperSwede
October 10th, 2008, 12:23 PM
oh man....a classic!! :beer: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :beer:

ww

:beer:

M29
November 11th, 2008, 03:42 PM
How many veins pop out of Roberts arm when he plays his Blue Strat with maple neck?