PDA

View Full Version : Billy Preston

Nelskie
June 7th, 2006, 11:09 AM
As its already been mentioned in the "Open Mic" section, musician Billy Preston passed away this past Tuesday, 6/6/06. For those who are unfamiliar with his body of work, Wikipedia has a very informative bio here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Preston

You might also be surprised to know that Billy co-wrote "You Are So Beautiful", Joe Cocker's biggest hit. And, contributed to a number of the Rolling Stones' biggest studio albums, including "Sticky Fingers", "Exile On Main St.", and "It's Only Rock n' Roll". He toured with them as well. It probably goes without saying that you don't jam with the Stones unless you got some big-time game!! He was also one of two non-Beatles to ever receive a writing credit for a Beatles single (can someone name the other?) Yes indeed, that's some pretty heavy company.

It'd be cool to hear if any Fretters have had the opportunity to see Billy play live, or are familiar with some of his solo material.

duhvoodooman
June 7th, 2006, 11:48 AM
He was also one of two non-Beatles to ever receive credit for a Beatles single (can someone name the other?)
Wasn't George Martin, their producer, credited with playing keyboards on one of their early albums?

I was going to say Eric Clapton at first, but I don't think he was actually credited for the guitar solo on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"....

Tone2TheBone
June 7th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Some of the best memories I have as a kid are ones during the "Nothing from Nothing" days of Mr. Preston. I can't count how many times I went around singing Will it go 'round in circles while driving my elementary teachers nuts. I appreciate his genius and the fond memories of my childhood with him driving the tunes in my head. It was good to see him playing for George (Concert for George DVD) and with Eric on the Songs for Robert Johnson and on the Crossroads DVD. It just felt good watching him play period. You felt the fun he was having....and you also felt that awesome Hammond. He left behind a fantastic musical legacy that spans time IMHO.

duhvoodooman
June 7th, 2006, 05:27 PM
I was fortunate enough to see Billy with Eric Clapton here in Albany at the Pepsi Arena a few years back. Eric had two keyboard players in his band at the time--Billy and David Sancious. Not too shabby there on the ivories, huh?

Spudman
June 7th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Tone
That is the same memory that I have of him. I remember when the song broke and I heard it everywhere. Also he was featured on TV a lot at that time as well and the BIG memory that I have of that song is him shaking that huge Marge Simpson sized afro back and forth while singing that song. The one visual that just won't go away....uh, when is our next session Doc?

tremoloman
June 7th, 2006, 10:06 PM
I believe Billy was known as the 5th Beatle if I'm not mistaken... Eddie Murphy did a spoof about it on SNL back in the day that was really funny.

Slowhand
June 13th, 2006, 12:13 PM
He was also one of two non-Beatles to ever receive a writing credit for a Beatles single (can someone name the other?) Yes indeed, that's some pretty heavy company.
I think the one you are referring to is Allen Civil playing French Horn :- For No One,thats on Revolver. George Martin on Harmonium :- The Word & Piano :- In My Life on Rubber Soul.

Slowhand
June 13th, 2006, 01:09 PM
There is some great footage of Billy on the Clapton DVD's put out over the last few years always valid and to the point, have you noticed how often he crops up in clips of peoples favorite YouTube clips.... always cool he'll be missed thats for sure.

Spudman
June 15th, 2006, 11:31 PM
I found this incredibly moving and it touched me deeply.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VizaIB-Wwx0&search=george%20harrison

R.I.P Billy.