PDA

View Full Version : hey from nc.

ross
October 9th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Been reading here the past week or so and finally decided to join. Lots of information on here! I have been playing about, jeez, 12 years (now that I think about it that makes me sound old!). I started when I was 15 when my granddad gave me his acoustic guitar - which actually turned out to be a 1936 Martin that lives in the case now..

I went through a period where I did not pick it up but maybe two or three times a month - this was mostly my college days where there was more important things to be done. My junior year my neighbor was really into guitar and he was a music major. He started teaching me alot of stuff that I did not know, so it sparked my interest again and I have been at it for a while now.

I have several guitars, Ernie Ball Music Man Petrucci 6 string and 7 string, Gibson Les Paul, Fender Lone Star strat, a Sea Green Peavey telecaster cloan (my frist electric), and a Fender nylon string that I found on eBay for around 90 dollars. :)

I have two amplifiers right now - a Mesa Rectoverb 1x12 combo and a Mesa Mark IV. Not really into effects, but I have a few - the typical ones, chorus pedal, phase, wah, vol, tuner, and a tube screamer..

I mostly like playing higher gain / shred stuff :whatever: (I had to use that icon because that is what my friends do when I tell them thats what I like). But I do not really understand the screaming death metal stuff, some of the riffs they come up with are good - but the vocals bother me.

Thats a little about me right now, and I am always reading to learn more about playing! :)

warren0728
October 9th, 2008, 09:27 AM
welcome ross....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake:

note: this welcome copyrighted 2008...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

Robert
October 9th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Welcome ross, thanks for joining!

Those Mesa Boogie Mark III and IV sound great. Probably all the "Mark XX" models sound good I imagine.

tunghaichuan
October 9th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Welcome to the Fret. This is a great group of people.

I like death metal riffs as well. But, I think the cookie monster vocals are kind of funny though :rotflmao: They make me laugh.

tung

Been reading here the past week or so and finally decided to join. Lots of information on here! I have been playing about, jeez, 12 years (now that I think about it that makes me sound old!). I started when I was 15 when my granddad gave me his acoustic guitar - which actually turned out to be a 1936 Martin that lives in the case now..

I went through a period where I did not pick it up but maybe two or three times a month - this was mostly my college days where there was more important things to be done. My junior year my neighbor was really into guitar and he was a music major. He started teaching me alot of stuff that I did not know, so it sparked my interest again and I have been at it for a while now.

I have several guitars, Ernie Ball Music Man Petrucci 6 string and 7 string, Gibson Les Paul, Fender Lone Star strat, a Sea Green Peavey telecaster cloan (my frist electric), and a Fender nylon string that I found on eBay for around 90 dollars. :)

I have two amplifiers right now - a Mesa Rectoverb 1x12 combo and a Mesa Mark IV. Not really into effects, but I have a few - the typical ones, chorus pedal, phase, wah, vol, tuner, and a tube screamer..

I mostly like playing higher gain / shred stuff :whatever: (I had to use that icon because that is what my friends do when I tell them thats what I like). But I do not really understand the screaming death metal stuff, some of the riffs they come up with are good - but the vocals bother me.

Thats a little about me right now, and I am always reading to learn more about playing! :)

duhvoodooman
October 9th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Welcome to The Fret, Ross. Happy to have you with us! :AOK: :dude: :beer:

sunvalleylaw
October 9th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Welcome Ross!

Spudman
October 9th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Welcome Ross.:wave:

I'm an Ernie Ball player too. I have a Luke but the JP6 is on my to-do list.
I agree with you on the cookie monster vocals. Plenty of good music but the trendy grunts and such really destroy the potential.

Shred on.:rockon:

marnold
October 9th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Welcome ross. I too share your love for metal/shreddy stuff. They don't call me Rev. Rawk for nothing!

snarph
October 9th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I like it all thats why this place is so much fun a little of every thing

ross
October 9th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Welcome Ross.:wave:

I'm an Ernie Ball player too. I have a Luke but the JP6 is on my to-do list.
I agree with you on the cookie monster vocals. Plenty of good music but the trendy grunts and such really destroy the potential.

Shred on.:rockon:

And vice versa for me. I want to get a Luke, but it isnt top priority right now.

The JP6 guitars are awesome. I have always liked Dream Theater, but I never paid any attention to signature models and I always thought those were reserved for the people who wanted to pay a premium to the same thing - see: Les Paul Zakk Wylde.

My friend bought a JP6 when they first came out, back in 1999 or 2000.. and I played it and I thought it was the best thing I had ever played. Then a couple of years after I started playing again I graduated in 2005, and I used my graduation $ + savings and got my buddy at Guitar Center to order me one.

I guess in this case, you arent paying a premium for a signature model - you are paying a premium for a great guitar. Everyone who has played mine always comments on how good it plays. It sounds great with low gain, high gain, no gain, blues, rock, country, metal. You name it, it can do it. I hope the luke has that kind of flexibility, which is why I am looking to snag me one of those in the next few years. :)

Spudman
October 9th, 2008, 04:09 PM
It sounds great with low gain, high gain, no gain, blues, rock, country, metal. You name it, it can do it. I hope the luke has that kind of flexibility, which is why I am looking to snag me one of those in the next few years. :)

The Luke is primarily a country western guitar.

NOT!

sunvalleylaw
October 9th, 2008, 04:18 PM
or bluegrass. yeah, . . . bluegrass.

ross
October 9th, 2008, 04:25 PM
or bluegrass. yeah, . . . bluegrass.

Does it sound like a banjo? :bravo:

ted s
October 9th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Welcome Ross !

just strum
October 9th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Welcome to the forum, you will enjoy the place I'm sure.

luvmyshiner
October 9th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Welcome aboard Ross!

oldguy
October 12th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Welcome to TheFret!:)

mrmudcat
October 12th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Welcome:dude:

scgmhawk
October 13th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Welcome Ross, and Cheers! :beer:

Algonquin
October 16th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Welcome to the Fret!
Cheers :beer:

Brian Krashpad
October 16th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Welcome Ross! Is that Peavey Tele a Reactor or one of their others?

Strat Vader
October 17th, 2008, 07:36 AM
You'll like it here! :AOK: