PDA

View Full Version : Top Beers

Robert
October 9th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Found this big list of reviewed beers:
http://beeradvocate.com/top_beers

I have never heard of most of these! Have you?

I notice most of them are also very strong (alcohol-wise).

Glacies
October 9th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Microbreweries have really been taking off in the past couple of years. The larger brewers like Bud, Miller and Coors have been trying to follow suit by releasing some craft brews of their own. I think it's great but some beer-snobs frown at it.

My theory is cheaper beers that I enjoy and can find easily are always a good thing.

Spudman
October 9th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I am happy to see one of my favorites Black Butte Porter on the list. The rest I've never heard of...now I have something to put on my Christmas list.:)

marnold
October 9th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Cool list! I've at least heard of most of them. I tried Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout while I was home this summer. It is to die for, but it is certainly not for the faint of heart or light of pocketbook. Seems to me it was ~$12 for a four pack. I have yet to try a Founder's beer that I did not like. They're based out of Michigan someplace.

I always love how people complain about how expensive microbrewed beers are but then shell out $3-4 for domestic swill at the local watering hole.

poodlesrule
October 9th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Beertalk: In the recent past, grain has gone up (switch to corn), and so have hops (successive poor harvests), which made all beers go up in price.

The homebrewer is actually more affected than micro or mega producers as they have multi-year contracts.

Homebrewing is not that difficult BTW, takes time and patience, mostly. Some of the results can be spectacularly tasty..! One could start with extract and do very well.

Ro3b
October 9th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Oh yeah, man. Most of my faves are on that list. Stone IPA, Stone Double Bastard, Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA, both the Russian River Plinys... I need to print this list out and drink my way through the rest of it.

sunvalleylaw
October 9th, 2008, 01:03 PM
The Stone ones are top on my list. The Trappiste ones I am aware of as well. Since I live in the intermountain west, where Coors is considered a good beer, I am a bit deprived from access to a lot of the rest as compared to when I lived in the Seattle area. I may need to put a request in to Santa this year for some specials off the list.

Robert
October 9th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Oh yeah, man. I need to print this list out and drink my way through the rest of it.

Sig material!
Sig material!
Sig material!

luvmyshiner
October 9th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Hmph. The list appears to be missing one.:flamemad:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/Bock.gif

Katastrophe
October 9th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Truer words have never been typed, Shiner.

Amen.

tot_Ou_tard
October 9th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Oh yeah, man. Most of my faves are on that list. Stone IPA, Stone Double Bastard, Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA, both the Russian River Plinys... I need to print this list out and drink my way through the rest of it.
Yup great stuff.

I just had a Trappistes Rochefort 10 two weeks ago. Yummy.

Glacies
October 10th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Beertalk: In the recent past, grain has gone up (switch to corn), and so have hops (successive poor harvests), which made all beers go up in price.

The homebrewer is actually more affected than micro or mega producers as they have multi-year contracts.

Homebrewing is not that difficult BTW, takes time and patience, mostly. Some of the results can be spectacularly tasty..! One could start with extract and do very well.

Yep, are you a homebrewer too?

For the record, Stone Arrogant Bastard is one of my Fav's. Reminds me of me!

Jimi75
October 10th, 2008, 06:40 AM
As long as this list doesn't contain 85% European beer it is not a valid list!

---Just kiddig---

Never heard of most of the beers listed.

:beer:

marnold
October 10th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Evidently we've got a growing group of brewers here on the Fret. I haven't brewed since July. Need to get something scheduled.

Andy
October 10th, 2008, 01:51 PM
..works for me...

http://www.sunnysideoysterbarnc.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/Yuengling.310194903_std.jpg

TS808
October 11th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I never heard of any of those beers :confused:

Old Milwaukee didn't make the list?? :D

just strum
October 11th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Cool list! I've at least heard of most of them. I tried Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout while I was home this summer. It is to die for, but it is certainly not for the faint of heart or light of pocketbook. Seems to me it was ~$12 for a four pack. I have yet to try a Founder's beer that I did not like. They're based out of Michigan someplace.

I always love how people complain about how expensive microbrewed beers are but then shell out $3-4 for domestic swill at the local watering hole.

Marnold, do you name any of the brews you make? I figure it would be natural to do if it's a brew that you end up liking and make repeatedly.

marnold
October 11th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Marnold, do you name any of the brews you make? I figure it would be natural to do if it's a brew that you end up liking and make repeatedly.
Yessir. My last beer was called "Our Cups Go to 11" in honor of the Red Wings. My doppelbock is "Defenestrator": the beer so good you'll throw yourself out the window. The winner for "longest name of a homebrew" goes to my "Lions Fan in Packerland Extremely Bitter IPA." I brewed a Classic American Cream Ale and took off on its unfortunate acronym to sophomorically name the beer "Pupu"--although I spelled it with Greek letters so that it wasn't so obvious.

LagrangeCalvert
October 12th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I gotta say if I'm drinking a beer its a Smithwicks

player
October 12th, 2008, 10:56 PM

If I could find it this state I know folks that would buy it regardless of cost.they just like trying new beer out and so do I :D
although still miss good old Old Style :beer:

ZMAN
October 13th, 2008, 08:18 AM
UP here in Sunny Maine, visiting my daughter. I found a 12 Pack of labatts special brews. There are four Porter, Four Amber, and Four John Labatt Classic. I bought it in a gorcery store for 9.99. First off you could not buy that in Canada, and if you could it would be at least 23.00 bucks.
The Porter was excellent and the amber very nice. Unlike Canada though they do not put the alchohol content on them, and they are only 11.5 Canadian ounces.