PDA

View Full Version : CTS? Pots from Warmoth

bigoldron
October 9th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I ordered a couple of 250k pots from Warmoth, which were listed as 250k pots. I was a little surprised when I got them as they didn't look like any other CTS pots I've seen. They had the long shafts, which I found out from Warmoth is all they sell, but that's not the issue. I saw nothing on the pot to indicate it was a CTS part. There were a few numbers on it, but I'm not the best at deciphering such.

What really shocked me is that even though the shaft and shaft housing was brass, the back of the pot itself was not metal in the center, but was plastic. Is this common now? I've ordered CTS pots before from other places and they had full metal housings.

Had a devil of a time getting solder to stick to the housing. Guess I needed some flux. :confused:

mrmudcat
October 9th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Hey that sounds like maybe some crap what are ya needing for pots email me !:D

Bloozcat
October 10th, 2008, 06:22 AM
I ordered a couple of 250k pots from Warmoth, which were listed as 250k pots. I was a little surprised when I got them as they didn't look like any other CTS pots I've seen. They had the long shafts, which I found out from Warmoth is all they sell, but that's not the issue. I saw nothing on the pot to indicate it was a CTS part. There were a few numbers on it, but I'm not the best at deciphering such.

What really shocked me is that even though the shaft and shaft housing was brass, the back of the pot itself was not metal in the center, but was plastic. Is this common now? I've ordered CTS pots before from other places and they had full metal housings.

Had a devil of a time getting solder to stick to the housing. Guess I needed some flux. :confused:

The CTS long shaft pots I use have a solid metal housing...no plastic. They look like this:
http://www.allparts.com/store/images/fullsize/EP_4685-000.jpg
And disassembled, they look like this:
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z265/Bloozcat/250kPotDisassembled.jpg

It should be easy to solder ground wires to the back of CTS pots.

The pots pictured on the Warmoth site are CTS, but whatever they sent you with the plastic on the rear pot cover doesn't sound like CTS. It's a shame too, $5.00 ea. for CTS long shaft pots is a good price.

bigoldron
October 10th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the picture, Bloozcat. I've worked with CTS pots before and they look EXACTLY like the one in the pic, but have NEVER seen one with plastic as part of the housing. I didn't really want the long shaft, but fortunately, it worked on my guitar. Oh well, live and learn. Won't be buying electronics from Warmoth any more. :whatever: